RPG MAKER 95 ENGINE PAGE + CATEGORY

Pages: first 1234 next last
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
So we were in IRC as usual tonight, and one topic went to another until an idea came up: Why do we not have RPG Maker 95, aka RM95, as a recognized game engine?

We have everything from RM2K to RMVX, and even IG Maker (which incidentally has no submissions) as recognized game engines, so there is no reason to make the circle not complete by not including RM95 which started what is the English RM community. If not for anything else, an honorary recognition would be appropriate since it is even the namesake of this very website.

Icon:
( http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/6088/locker/rm95_sm.png )
( http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/6088/locker/rm95.png )

None

Creator:
ASCII

License:
Commercial

Subtitle:
First ever Windows-based RPG Maker program released by ASCII in 1997.

Description:
RPG Maker 95 is a tile-based point and click engine tailored towards creating SNES-era-like RPGs and was the first to be released in the long-running series of RPG Maker programs for the Windows operating system.

RPG Maker 95 runs in 640x480 resolution with 32x32 pixel tiles and 32x32 sprites using the .BMP image file format limited to a 256 color palette. The default battle system is a frontview system reminiscent of early Dragon Quest games, with invisible player characters and static monster sprites. The engine uses the MIDI file format for music and WAV format for sound effects.

--------------------

And if this wasn't persuasion enough, here's something that may:
<GreatRedSpirit> I'll submit a game if WIP makes a tag for it

EDIT: Noticed I miss the full-size icon. ;_;
I didn't know that there's an RM95 released in the 90's!..

Let me google (and probably download) that one......
wow I can't believe someone is still using that haha :D
my nightmares have come back to haunt me
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Oh god

I tried to use it, I really did...

*Craze wound up making a complete-with-(some)-custom-graphics SRPGM95 game instead.
The maker wasn't that bad, you could actually use the mouse to play.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Well don't expect that to popup on the site until there is code to stop people from submitting games made with it. I don't want any RPG95 games on this site and I refuse to host them.
Wow this brings me back like 15 years or more.
post=119222
Well don't expect that to popup on the site until there is code to stop people from submitting games made with it. I don't want any RPG95 games on this site and I refuse to host them.
Why is that? Seems to be maker-bias there.

We do already have a BCB rule in place so I don't see why not! Especially when someone else does all the work! :D
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
It is definitely maker bias.

It is old and doesn't even work on modern machines nowadays. It was a pain to even get working on an OS from 9 years ago. So yeah, you could say it is maker bias.
Aaaaaw. Not even for the will of nostalgia?
I totally agree RM95 is a piece of shit but using that modified RM95 Stifu made for XP actually works properly in Windows 7. I can open it, make changes, save, and open the game like I had Windows 95 all over again!
95 is pretty terrible and I don't see why you would defend such a bad program.
I know it's terrible, but it's part of everyone's life here.
I played around with 95, thought it sucked, then rm2000 came in, and thats where my RMing began. I don't even want to see it anymore.
post=119234
I played around with 95, thought it sucked, then rm2000 came in, and thats where my RMing began. I don't even want to see it anymore.

But technically your life did start with it? :avatar:
I played a RM95 game a week ago after a long while and its story was quite good. Of course it is damn limitated (e.g. you can't use battle animations on the map, change screen tone etc. etc as far as I know, never worked with it), but you can definitely make a good game with that too. Its resources even support more colors than RM2k/3 and you can make party members follow on the map without needing an extra code.

For nostalgia reasons it should still be allowed. It wouldn't annoy anybody since nobody submits a RM95 game anyway, but if somebody does I want to play it, definitely. Would be a nice contest idea as well: Bring RM95 to its limits. Lol. (Thank god it' still running on my computer ;-))
I think nostalgia is a pretty bad reason to accept RM95 games and support it as an engine =) Gonna have to side with WIP here.
Pages: first 1234 next last