COPYRIGHTS

Pages: first 12 next last
Hello! I am interested in copyrighting my materials because of a recent event of my work appearing on another site I have no respect for, and against my permission. Does anyone know about the process of getting his or her material copyrighted?

I know you have to pay a fair bit for an official registered copyright (try a lawyer) but generally anything you create is covered under the fact that it is your intellectual property. You are well in your rights to demand they remove it.
While that is technically true, this is the internet. It's very difficult to enforce anything.

My best advice is to be civil and polite and request that your material be taken down from the site. Hopefully they will be civil and polite in turn and acquiesce. If not, I wouldn't get too upset over it.
Yeah, hey you may not like the site but dude I am Dark Gaia and I say the more sites you are on, the more people will see your work.
If not contact their ISP or ad providers and stuff. There's lots of places to report things on the internet for this kind of thing.
Or also just contact the administrator of the site if it was just a normal member posting it.
gimme my copyrights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_copyright_law#Registration_of_copyright
in the US and many other countries copyright is automatically bestowed. it just helps to register.
Well there you go. I'm sure it would cost money to register though. But it is hard to track your infringed copyrights down on the internet anyway; look at all the new release games that are downloaded every day.
Also, a well written C&D letter will normally either A. Force them to give up or B. Force the web master to release their ip address to the infringe in question and sue them accordingly, as we all know how fast ip address can be located.
Crap. Double post. Sorry, my browser glitched up.
This would also depend if the material in question is yours personally (i.e, you created it). If it is just a collection of sprite and tileset rips from your RPG MAKER game, then...
Some of the work is originally mine. I made the work myself.

Contacting the admin on the site will not help me because it is an admin who posted my work against my wishes. I did state I don't want my work to appear on certain sites. The funny thing is I was a sponsor of the site(I did not have any problems with the site at the time) and got banned after I paid to be a sponsor. I do have proof of an admin posting my work as I have copy a screenshoot of the thread. I will not post it because I'm not trying to start a forums war. I just want copyright info and I am just telling why I now want it.
post=119821
dude I am Dark Gaia

lol what
make sure you're legally in a completely unassailable position and then threaten legal action if they don't take down the material. this is not an empty threat as you can actually do this! although i'd advise you to read the site policy to ascertain whether the rights to the work have passed to the service provider
post=119911
make sure you're legally in a completely unassailable position and then threaten legal action if they don't take down the material. this is not an empty threat as you can actually do this! although i'd advise you to read the site policy to ascertain whether the rights to the work have passed to the service provider

I don't know the site policy. I can tell you I did not post all of my work on the site before I was banned after becoming a sponsor.
Like stated above, you own the copyright. The real problem is enforcement. They're free to do whatever the hell they want if they're convinced you're not going to take legal action (I'm not even sure threatening legal action would amount to much).
In my opinion, if your using an Rpgmaker program you really shouldn't
be worrying about people plagiarizing or stealing your stuff. I would rather
use a program more suited towards commercial games.
If it's original work, then yes, you should be concerned, whether its RPG Maker or not.
post=119922
If it's original work, then yes, you should be concerned, whether its RPG Maker or not.

If it isn't rips either, like Star Ocean or Tales or Final Fantasy stuff you ripped yourself. (I had my experience first hand from this, but I came to the realization that it is stealing too.)

But yeah, if you made a sprite that is made by your own hands and isn't from any game but your own or something, then you should be allowed to complain.
Sorry not much to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licenses

if they gave you credit and whatnot its legit but from what you are saying you can get them to tear it down. Just PM the admin saying you are willing to take legal steps in the process and contact the person incharge of the board creation. That usually gets them to drop it.
Pages: first 12 next last