HARD PARTS OF GAME MAKING?

Original puzzles is a big problem for me too. I usually have a list of puzzles I've seen before and liked didn't hate and I tend to reuse those.

Or teleporting puzzles. But I'm sure that at the rate I go with those, somebody's bound to kill me in vengeance.
Puzzles i usually only use in dungeons i design. One of the only type of puzzle i will create outside of a dungeon is a "snow town" where i make ice skating minigames. One of these will be coming in Demon Destiny 1.
Oddly enough, intros. I have a pretty good storyline, but I have a hard time thinking on how to start it, without it being a copy of another idea, yet I think I got that down. Mapping is also kind of tough because if your map looks lazy, so does the game. It's kind of what is taking my first project some serious time. Yet everything else I think I'm alright at.
I'd say "sticking with the same project and not side-tracking". D: It seems to be the downfall of more than half the cases.
Yes, that happens to me a lot. The project i am working on now is really the only one that i have continuously worked on. :D
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=578.msg9451#msg9451 date=1203555739
Original puzzles is a big problem for me too. I usually have a list of puzzles I've seen before and liked didn't hate and I tend to reuse those.

Or teleporting puzzles. But I'm sure that at the rate I go with those, somebody's bound to kill me in vengeance.

I hear ya there.

Almost every dungeon puzzle I encounter feels to me like it's slowing down the pace, and an unnecessary speed bump. There have been seldom few puzzles that are enjoyable, (requirement: OPTIONAL and YIELDS LOOT)

Yeah teleporting puzzles have the potential to make Homer go... something something.
Spelling, unfortuantly. That's always been my weakest area.

Second would probably be village design. For some reason, I really have a
tough time motivating myself to map out, and design a town. The game I
am currently on is full of several cool dungeions, but many half-finished
towns.

Programming would be one of my stronger areas. I've defenently enjoy, the
problem solving aspect of it, and through much experimentation, I've
figured out how to Make RPG maker do some things that at, one time,
I did not even think possible. such as link to the past, style time travel, where that it will detect if you are on an unmovable spot, and send you back if you are.
Hardest?
I suppose that would be staying focused.
I have no real problems with coding, graphics, text/plot, but I often want to incorporate all of my ideas into one project. I'll keep getting more and more ideas, the project gets more and more weighed down with the stuff I need to complete in order to make each idea come to life, I think to myself, "I can never finish this," and I don't.

That happened with my first project. I'm better at limiting myself at putting too much into a game, but it still happens every now and then.

On the flip side, my favorite part of creating is knowing that I can do whatever I want with the world I create. :)
author=dreampainter link=topic=578.msg10708#msg10708 date=1205940149
Second would probably be village design. For some reason, I really have a
tough time motivating myself to map out, and design a town. The game I
am currently on is full of several cool dungeions, but many half-finished
towns.

Why don't you make a dungeon crawler without any towns then? Not only would it cater to your skills but it would be a little different from every other RPGmaker game and thus probably a little better.
The hardest part of game making for me is keeping the project up-to-date.
Usually, my game will improve as development progresses, and then, when it comes time to release, I'll find the first part of my game is behind on graphics and story compared to a later part.

As for the town thing, it may be better just to combine the parts of the towns you have completed into one, and have it be a hub to other areas, such as dungeons or forests. And to buy items, you'd go to a house and have the shop menu appear. The town could have items added to the sale list as you progress.
I really hate making towns, actually.
Hardest? Uh... the hardest part is probably to make the game interesting. Something that might appear to be enjoyable for me might not be to anyone else that plays it. It's easy to look at your own game, be proud of what you've done and expect everyone else to think the same but only after a while realizing that it's pretty poor gameplay overall.

My biggest issue is the 'fillers' that you have to insert between events of the game. Random battles are frown upon and for people like myself that are no hardcore coders, what do you do?
author=Liman link=topic=578.msg10842#msg10842 date=1206107324
My biggest issue is the 'fillers' that you have to insert between events of the game. Random battles are frown upon and for people like myself that are no hardcore coders, what do you do?
I say screw the naysayers and make random battles!
Lately i have found out that programming really shits me, especially when doing it non stop for about a few weeks. Nearly done though. :D
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Programming is the funnest part.
Well, it was at the start but then finishing it and finding all the bugs and crap that just don't seem to go away. That's what annoys me.
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Hard part for me is Mapping towns and big areas like world maps for an example.
Getting started!

There is so much to do in making a good RPG, and of course the more you put it off the more great ideas come to you ("maybe I can put in a weapon forging system," "maybe I can add customization to this feature," etc.). It's overwhelming. I find once I get started I can roll my way along at least for a little while, but it's getting over the first big hurdle (where you're standing at the bottom of the mountain looking up and wondering what possessed you to think you could do this) that's most difficult to leap. At least for me.
author=kentona link=topic=578.msg10843#msg10843 date=1206111866
I say screw the naysayers and make random battles!

Actually if you sit down and think about it random battles are bad game design on a very fundamental level. They were an invention of memory restrictions and absolutely nothing else. Even if you look at early pen and paper games like D&D you'll find that encounters with enemies are something with design surrounding them; no DM would randomly throw batches of orcs at the player without giving the player some advance warning or giving the player some alternative means of maneuvering around the encounter if they so chose. With random battles you have no design whatsoever and you are functionally dividing the game into two separate game types without any transition between them. By implementing some sort of event that occurs between the exploration phase and the battle phase you are unifying your game design and making a more cohesive and fundamentally better game experience (the most basic form is by putting enemy avatars on the map and letting you run around them or whatever). If you do not implement such features you are asking the player to make jarring transitions between two games that are completely different. It's like playing a round of Tetris and then playing a round of Street Fighter and then going back to Tetris.

Just saying.
For me the hardest part is coming up with puzzles. At least that is the hardest part for me right now.

I also have trouble making the game from start to finish. I often create the basic outline of the game and then work on diffrent parts at a time. For example for Majesty I have most of the areas of the game started, and I go back and forth working on diffrent ones, so no single area is completed.