OUT OF CONTENT - TIME TO RESTART, RIGHT?

post=138648
wtf we have working hide tags now?

Yes, for quite a while. Almost literally years.

EDIT: Whoops, new page snipe. Please read the proceeding page.
BOSS RUSH

Where said bosses are a powered up version of previous bosses you fought that have an improved version of their previous AI. The rush is one giant battle against all these bosses but instead of fighting all of them at once you fight one at a time and they can freely tag out on their turn with another boss!

(this will either be awesome or end horribly)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Gears no longer work and Ether is nonfunctional. Also the main character is now pretty much omnipotent. And he hates fighting and conflict to begin with. So much for post game content!
That's the kind of thing that would disallow post-game anything, yes.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Everybody listen to Neophyte, now.
OKAY GUYS what do you think are good examples of post game content?

The way Breath of Fire 3-4 did it was pretty nice, after you beat the game, you start again from right before the final boss (they're usually graceful enough to put you back on the world map) with everything you had before you beat the game. There are usually hidden stuff to find, stuff to get, and more 'powerupping' opportunities open to the player in these 'Clear Game' files. Also, the storyline of the game isn't broken in any way, as far as the plot is concerned, you're still right before the final boss.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
In Dragon Age: Origins, you can resume the game and a pop-up dialogue tells you "oh hey, you are now chronologically right before the <final quest line title here>. You can now do any DLC you buy in the future!"

Basically, it lets you do any new quests that come along without having to restart or use an pre-final boss save.
I personally think it would be good for the post-game to link the game to a possible sequel. Just sort of having a mini-plot in it, along with things like boss-rushes and super-bosses. If you did this, you could also change the party around, restricting some members and having the player re-recruit others.
post=138661
In Dragon Age: Origins, you can resume the game and a pop-up dialogue tells you "oh hey, you are now chronologically right before the <final quest line title here>. You can now do any DLC you buy in the future!"

Basically, it lets you do any new quests that come along without having to restart or use an pre-final boss save.

Yeah, BOF 3, 4, and now that I think about it, FFXIII are exactly this, minus the DLC, obviously.
It's the most common way to do postgame content these days. Though I don't consider "postgame" strictly necessitating beating the game, just something that is above the power levels of the main plot.
It's mostly superficial (you can start the post-game or kill the final boss and then start the post-game! (except in FF13 where the final boss unlocks the last tier of the crystal-whatever which gives the HP to survive the hardest enemy's super attack) ) but I think it's a nice touch. Potential bonus: People will kill the final boss before starting the post-game content instead of doing the post-game and then curbstomping the final boss! :D (unless you take the unlockable uber-finalboss approach)
A slightly related topic; if one includes pre-final boss side quests, should that ALWAYS increase the difficulty of the final boss should the player defeat those bosses? Should the final boss always be more difficult than the optional bosses, or should the optional bosses be stronger?

EDIT: I can see both sides of the argument. The final boss, by definition, should be the ultimate climax (lol I said climax) of the game, meaning the highest stakes, the hardest obstacle to overcome, etc. However, the very idea of a superboss is that players can test out their skills/acquired power against something that would be a roadblock for lesser players and is left out of the main campaign. However, if one takes on the superbosses, would that not indicate that the player wants a challenge and therefore should find one in the final boss?
I plan to do both in a future project actually! (Clear file unlocks optional dungeon of doom, optional dungeon of doom has an event at the end that results in a powered up final) Clear files are pretty sweet, yeah.

Edit: Where did that post come from

The pecking order should be Possible optional final > high-end optional bosses > final boss = entry-level optional bosses.
post=138678
A slightly related topic; if one includes pre-final boss side quests, should that ALWAYS increase the difficulty of the final boss should the player defeat those bosses? Should the final boss always be more difficult than the optional bosses, or should the optional bosses be stronger?

The final boss should always be weaker than optional superbosses, unless you like the idea of casual players never being able to beat the game, ever.
post=138681
post=138678
The final boss should always be weaker than optional superbosses, unless you like the idea of casual players never being able to beat the game, ever.
I'm talking specifically about the final boss receiving an increase in difficulty after the player has beaten an optional boss. ie- if Safer Sephiroth were to gain an extra 10,000 HP after the player has defeated both Ruby and Emerald WEAPON.

I'll post my edit from above here so it gets read: "I can see both sides of the argument. The final boss, by definition, should be the ultimate climax (lol I said climax) of the game, meaning the highest stakes, the hardest obstacle to overcome, etc. However, the very idea of a superboss is that players can test out their skills/acquired power against something that would be a roadblock for lesser players and is left out of the main campaign. However, if one takes on the superbosses, would that not indicate that the player wants a challenge and therefore should find one in the final boss?"
I'm talking specifically about the final boss receiving an increase in difficulty after the player has beaten an optional boss. ie- if Safer Sephiroth were to gain an extra 10,000 HP after the player has defeated both Ruby and Emerald WEAPON.

This would just make the fight 5 minutes longer for Level 6 Cloud & Co.
ignore the part where they can't beat the weapons

Either way, straight up stat mods are just lazy and bad form in this case. A more difficult form of a boss fight should be more than a 1.3x mod to HP and ATK, its creation should be given as much attention as an entirely new fight.
post=138686
This would just make the fight 5 minutes longer for Level 6 Cloud & Co.
ignore the part where they can't beat the weapons

Either way, straight up stat mods are just lazy and bad form in this case. A more difficult form of a boss fight should be more than a 1.3x mod to HP and ATK, its creation should be given as much attention as an entirely new fight.

It was just an example, and my question still stands
Well, it's kind of a nobrainer really. Complete optional content -> gain access to ultimate final. (Star Ocean 2 was actually a bit dickish about this and made the trigger an obscure event rather than beating the Cave of Trials or Iseria Queen - but you'd have to be a one in a million case to trigger it before beating the normal final boss)
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Depending on the game, I think a mix of Breath of Fire V:DQ and character builds can be superior. You lock content into certain paths that are focused on the earliest decisions you make.

I like the idea of postgame content that sort of tweaks the world some. BUT this can't fit into every game. You couldn't expect to play an extra day in Majora's Mask and the moon wasn't there, for example.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
In a way I think out of all RM games, ever, Three The Hard Way handled this issue the best. I can elucidate (badly as I played the game many years ago) if anyone here hasn't played it to completion and doesn't know what I mean.
I think a good way to address "post-game" content is to add final boss challenges... like, killing him faster grants a better ending, or killing him using only attacks, or without heals, or something like that. Just an idea.