WEAPON LEVEL UPS

Pages: 1
how do you set a weapon to level up on it own,and give the person it's equipped to a skill for every level up?
Please be more specific and include things like the engine you are using.

By default in any of the RPG Maker engines, weapons do not have levels and they do not level up. You will have to use some funky eventing and/or use a script (VX/XP)
It's actually really easy, (no funky coding required!) but someone with more time can help the guy out.
Well, its perfectly doable, but I wouldn't categorize it as really easy though. You have to know what you are doing. But the original post is bereft of any information. How does a weapon gain experience? Is it when it is used? When it kills an enemy? When the hero using it gets EXP? Something else? Does the skill go away when the item is unequipped? etc. etc..
post=148377
Please be more specific and include things like the engine you are using.

By default in any of the RPG Maker engines, weapons do not have levels and they do not level up. You will have to use some funky eventing and/or use a script (VX/XP)
post=148393
Well, its perfectly doable, but I wouldn't categorize it as really easy though. You have to know what you are doing. But the original post is bereft of any information. How does a weapon gain experience? Is it when it is used? When it kills an enemy? When the hero using it gets EXP? Something else? Does the skill go away when the item is unequipped? etc. etc..
I am useing RPG maker 2003,and if you've played the game The Way then you've seen that the weapons in there level up,but then again,then are a lot of edited things in there,so that might not be the best example,but basically I would like the characters to be able to equip the weapons and gain the skills,the leveling part is just for how long until they get the skill,but with every person I want the weapon to have a different level,so when its equipped to Epsilon(main char in my game) it starts a lvl 1 like with everyone,but once Epsilon gets it to say,lvl 5,when he un-equips it and equip it to Alpha,its back at lvl 1,but when Epsilon equips it back,its at the last level it was when he had it
If you are wanting the weapons to have an individual level for each party member, you need to create separate variables to represent that.

So, for every weapon in your game, there will need to be a variable for each party member that represents the level for the weapon. For example, let's say we have a weapon called "Sword." For the variables, we need to have:

Epsilon Sword Level
Alpha Sword Level
...etc.

You would have to rinse and repeat that for every weapon your create. Exactly how you use these variables, I am not too sure I can help you right now. I think you might need to reword your explanation, because it is somewhat hard for me to understand exactly what you're wanting to happen with the weapons, their levels, etc.
post=148595
If you are wanting the weapons to have an individual level for each party member, you need to create separate variables to represent that.

So, for every weapon in your game, there will need to be a variable for each party member that represents the level for the weapon. For example, let's say we have a weapon called "Sword." For the variables, we need to have:

Epsilon Sword Level
Alpha Sword Level
...etc.

You would have to rinse and repeat that for every weapon your create. Exactly how you use these variables, I am not too sure I can help you right now. I think you might need to reword your explanation, because it is somewhat hard for me to understand exactly what you're wanting to happen with the weapons, their levels, etc.
Thank you, as for re explaining it in a better way...hum...Alright, if you've ever played the game, The Way, then you know what I am aiming for. But if you haven't, then basically what I want is, e.x. Fire Edge lvl 1 equiped to Epsilon, weapon has exp of it's own, not "chained" to the character, Epsilon raises Fire Edge's lvl to 2, un equips is and Alpha equips it. Fire edge is now at lvl 1 again. That's the lvl system, but the other part is, with every time the weapon lvl's up, the person that it lvls up with gains a new ability. So it's almost as if it has the exact same lvl traits as a character, i.e when Epsilon lvls up, he gains stats and a new skill. Though, as for the weapons, they're "stats" don't change, all that happens is the person gains a new ability, that is all I am really looking for, so possibly like a cross between a weapon, and a "scroll" that gives you a new ability when used. I hope that makes it at least some what easier to understand.
If you want the skill to be added permanently, then I believe that I can help you, so long as you're using RPG Maker 2003. I'm not really sure, but I believe that this should work:

Make a common event. To do this, select Tools->Database->Common Event tab.

Now, name it something like "Weapon Level Up" so you know what it is. Set the type to "Call".

Next, add the Variable Operations command into the Event. Create a variable like, "Epsilon Weapon XP", and set it to increase by 1. Now, whenever the event is called, Epsilon will gain 1 "weapon XP".

Add a branch. Set the condition as having the created variable be the number of attacks/battles/whatever you want the weapon to level up at, like 100 attacks or 10 battles.

If the condition is met, then change the character's skills to have the new skill. In the else handler, put nothing.

Then repeat, increasing the variable number and changing the skill as needed. For flavor, add a message like "Weapon level up", or "Skill added".

Now, all you need to do is go into monster groups, set an event to happen every attack, or whenever you want it to happen (End of battle, every attack, etc.), then add a Call Event command.

Repeat all of these steps for every character you want to have weapon levels for.

Now, I think that you have to have this event in every monster group for it to work properly, so it may take a bit of work. This event may not even work!

There is a restriction, though; you cannot have separate weapon levels with this type of event. So, no Aqua Edge Level 3 and Fire Blade Level 7, for example, just Weapon Level 3.

A more experienced game maker could help you more, I'm sure, but this is all I can think of. Mess around a bit; you'd be surprised what you can do.
post=148706
If you want the skill to be added permanently, then I believe that I can help you, so long as you're using RPG Maker 2003. I'm not really sure, but I believe that this should work:

Make a common event. To do this, select Tools->Database->Common Event tab.

Now, name it something like "Weapon Level Up" so you know what it is. Set the type to "Call".

Next, add the Variable Operations command into the Event. Create a variable like, "Epsilon Weapon XP", and set it to increase by 1. Now, whenever the event is called, Epsilon will gain 1 "weapon XP".

Add a branch. Set the condition as having the created variable be the number of attacks/battles/whatever you want the weapon to level up at, like 100 attacks or 10 battles.

If the condition is met, then change the character's skills to have the new skill. In the else handler, put nothing.

Then repeat, increasing the variable number and changing the skill as needed. For flavor, add a message like "Weapon level up", or "Skill added".

Now, all you need to do is go into monster groups, set an event to happen every attack, or whenever you want it to happen (End of battle, every attack, etc.), then add a Call Event command.

Repeat all of these steps for every character you want to have weapon levels for.

Now, I think that you have to have this event in every monster group for it to work properly, so it may take a bit of work. This event may not even work!

There is a restriction, though; you cannot have separate weapon levels with this type of event. So, no Aqua Edge Level 3 and Fire Blade Level 7, for example, just Weapon Level 3.

A more experienced game maker could help you more, I'm sure, but this is all I can think of. Mess around a bit; you'd be surprised what you can do.
Wow, thanks, I'll go try that right now and tell you how it works. Plus I was planing on making it only a few weapons can level up, and like...well...basically, there's probably going to be a total of 25 weapons that can lvl up, and that's 5 for each character ^-^ thanks again! ^-^
Pages: 1