LOZ RPG

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Link to the Past will always be my favorite. In that one you actually had tools that were genuinely useful or fun to play around with. Boomerang, hookshot, two magic wands, the invisibility cape, magic spells, just a whole wide variety of fun items that actually had practical applications instead of the horribly circumstantial items you start seeing in the later games that can literally only be used in very specific places and ways.
I have never played a Zelda game, well maybe once for about 5 minutes, but that's it. I feel left out.
post=150765
Link to the Past will always be my favorite. In that one you actually had tools that were genuinely useful or fun to play around with. Boomerang, hookshot, two magic wands, the invisibility cape, magic spells, just a whole wide variety of fun items that actually had practical applications instead of the horribly circumstantial items you start seeing in the later games that can literally only be used in very specific places and ways.

The version of ALTTP I had kept fucking deleting my files. x.x

But the game was really cool, especially when it turned dark and creepy after the midway point, I was just never able to finish it due to reasons beyond my control.
post=150765

God, this. The Spinner is the grand example of a circumstantial item. I hate the Spinner. Forever.

For those who don't know, the Spinner is the 4th Dungeon's item in Twilight Princess. It's like a giant Beyblade/Spinning Top that you ride, which sounds really cool, except you only use it in the 4th and last dungeons, and you can ride it for about 3 seconds before it stops.
Solitayre
The Dominion Rod is even worse.

At least in OoT you could play around with your hookshot,since it could grapple to almost anything. I used to have fun just flying around Kakariko Village like Batman. Twilight Princess didn't even let you do that. Even a once universally helpful item like the hookshot is now resigned to only being used in very specific places. The organic and freeform dungeon designs that were staples in earlier games are just becoming lifeless and artificial. You don't get to play or experiment anymore. You just use it exactly where the game tells you.
The only zelda I played was Link's Awakening and spent most of my time doing NPC requests :<
I hadn't even thought of the Dominion Rod. Or the Clawshot for that matter. I guess the Clawshot sort of makes sense, because it can't dig into everything like a Hookshot would, but thats a pretty stupid technicality for me to bring up, since they could have just made it into a freaking Hookshot. Hopefully Skyward Sword will remedy problems like this.
Link's Awakening ruined all other Game Boy games for me at that stage in my life. Once I was finished, games like Tetris felt so brainless.

Spinner would've been really great if there were tracks everywhere, but it seemed like there were only a handful in the entire game. Zipping along the wall of Hyrule Field or in Castle Town plaza would've been awesome.
Gerudo Valley is also a good example of what you're talking about, Soli. You could use your tools to stealth through it however you wanted. The hookshot could stun the guards, and most terrain you were able to grapple to. You could also just use your arrows, which I found more satisfying because it actually knocked the guards out for a few seconds longer. I don't even remember the items you guys are mentioning in TP. That game was not very good.

Kakariko Village was a nice playground when you had nothing to do. =)
Solitayre
This all plays into the linearity aspect too. The original Zelda and LttP were completely non-linear. As long as you had the tools necessary you could clear a lot of dungeons out of order. Ocarina of Time let you do this less, and in Twilight Princess you're practically on a track.

Being able to clear dungeons out of order often allowed for creative problem-solving as well. In the Ice Palace in LttP, there is a rather infamous switch puzzle that I think everyone remembers. You need to push a block onto a switch to hold a door open, but that block can only be pushed down from the upper level at a specific place, and reaching that block requires a lot of convoluted backtracking and switch-hitting. If you clear Misery Mire before the Ice Palace, you'll have the Cane of Somaria which lets you create your own blocks and thus bypass the entire puzzle. The way the game allowed for lateral solutions to problems could make you feel so clever when you were a kid.
This really got off track didn't it? lol.

And i agree with Solitayre on the linearness. LttP really set the bar high for most of the Zelda games, as I personally think it had some rather difficult puzzles. But at the same time, there were also some items in that game that were completely useless (the medallions i only used as necessary). Personally I'd take the linear over non-linear because then, at least i'm on track and I know where I'm going. But then again, Zelda games that are inconsistent with each other, i also will go for.

I don't know why though, I'd take OoT over all of them, then MM, then LttP, then TP. Just something about OoT's storyline was pretty sweet, and the musical score wasn't bad either. And the Longshot <3. Single-handed the most useful weapon of all time.
post=150764
Am I the only person who prefers Twilight Princess over the others?
No, join the club LOL.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
post=150825
I guess the Clawshot sort of makes sense, because it can't dig into everything like a Hookshot would, but thats a pretty stupid technicality for me to bring up, since they could have just made it into a freaking Hookshot.

There's a good reason they didn't make it into a normal hookshot, and that reason is the upgrade that you get for it later. Whereas in OoT the upgrade to the hookshot is the longshot (boring), in TP the upgrade to the clawshot is a second clawshot. So you can hook onto a wall or ceiling, and shoot again while hanging from it.

You turn into freaking spiderman. If you could hook onto anything made of wood, as the hookshot could, this would be way too ridiculous, you could just fly over everything forever, so they had to limit it to grates. Also, the hookshot didn't let you hang from things, you just dropped to the ground immediately, but that's more of just a technicality since they could have added it.

Rod of Dominion is the worst tool. Spinner isn't so bad, though, since there are spinner tracks all over the place, and it's also useful anywhere with sand. Remember that wand in Link to the Past that created blocks and platforms? That was basically the same thing.

All the Zelda games have some tools that are also good as weapons, and some that are also good as transportation, and some that are only good for solving puzzles.
Solitayre
The Cane of Somaria is actually one of the most clever and inventive tools in the entire series. Being able to create your own blocks lets you effectively bypass entire puzzles if you know when and where to use it. I don't feel like the tool got enough mileage in that game, you get it towards the very end, but it is a tool I definitely would have liked to see more puzzles centered around.

Also the addition of a second clawshot would have been awesome if you could use it anywhere except in the extremely specific places that were designed to let you use it, effectively making it pointless.
This game is on hold do to the fact that i don't have the money to afford rpgmaker vx and my free trial ran out
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
post=150019
Story:After TP Link decided to explore new lands. After a month at sea, he arrives at the kingdom of Norrea. After going inside the castle and talking with the king, Link learns that the kings daughter was kidnapped and Borzi, the the knight captain joins you and thats all i got.
good?

sounds like the next vx smash hit.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
...holy shit, there are people who pay for RPG Maker?
When my trial expires, I'll have to pay for RMXP. So yes, there are people who pay for RPG Makers.
post=152770
...holy shit, there are people who pay for RPG Maker?

If you a) are using the program and b) have a job, why not support Enterbrain? I had planned to buy VX even before my trail expired.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I feel like I've gotten my money's worth.