THE GOAL OF A GAME

Pages: first prev 12 last
Well it is not an acceptable or desirable goal for me. I love getting stronger but it is a means to an end (such as defeating a boss) and not an end unto itself, you know? This also affects my view of post-game content. I never see the point to it because the end goal is complete (BIG BAD IS DEAD/STORY RESOLVED) so I have no motivation to continue playing.

I will, however, play through a New Game+ mode and have a lot of fun.
I can see Kentona's problem with MMOs. In WoW, the game designers fully intend to make the mini goals, more important than the big final goal. What I mean by "mini goal" is stuff you need to do in order to get to the final goal or make the final goal easier.

For example, they make it so that every 2nd level, you gain skills (either upgraded skills or brand new skills). There might be that one skill that'll change the way you play your class (Druid getting bear form at 10, Shadowform for priest at 40, dual wielding for rogues at 10 I remember?). All this keeps the player interested in gaining a level by level. On top of that you get a mount at lvl 40 (I know this has changed, but I'm going from vanilla/bc perspective), however it costs quite a bit of gold, so the player then tasks himself on conserving money so he can get the fancy tiger to ride on.

This is the basic outer rim of WoW's addiction. It doesn't really work for people who wish to "complete" the game, because you can't. They keep feeding the players with new expansion packs that reset the "final goals" (strongest raid boss killed, strongest gear, max lvl etc.). Not a big mystery, but thats essentially where the MMOs differ from normal offline RPGs.
It varies for me depending on the game. Figuring out what happens next in the story is the most common goal though. I actually don't like turn-based RPG mechanics that much but will put up with them. If the combat is in real time, or there are well done puzzle elements - sometimes that will take front-seat over the story.

I don't think I've ever finished a tactical battle based RPG ever. It's not that I dislike them, but they just physically wear me out. I just wind up stop playing midway through because I dread spending an hour and a half on the next battle.
I have spent over 60 hours on Disgaea, my first true attempt at a tactical RPG. I am on the final episode.
post=150710
So the ultimate task any game to you is RP? Really? All forms of gameplay exist only to facilitate this?

Not any game. Just RPGs. Though I've started roleplaying in grand strategy games too (Kill all Catholics! Burn the heretics) But I probably don't RP in Mario or FIFA.

Basically if it's an RPG I expect to RP. If it's a First Person Shooter I expect to Shoot. In first person.
I like killing shit.

Like for real. I like being able to smash 1,000 different enemies heads in 1,000 different ways, with 1,000 different weapons, spells, animations for said weapons/spells, stat combinations, classes, abilities, formations, etc etc.

Give me an entire population to murder and a million ways to do it and I'm set. That's why I love games like the Saga series; so many ways of skinning that cat.
Which version of Disgaea, Kentona? Ps2, DS, or PSP?
My goal in a game is to beat the Big Bad Evil Boss. When I beat him I lose motivation to continue playing. That's what happened with FF13 for me LOL.
Same here, although sometimes I lose interest long before then because I tried to do all the sidequests. It can be very stressful.
I never get sidetracked, my mission is always to beat the Big Bad Boss.
I play different RPGs for different reasons.
My goal is to compleat everything and find everything in the game, im extremely curious and must know every aspect of the game before im satisfied.
My goal is to beat the game. What I do to achieve that goal varies from game to game. In one game, I may take my time to collect everything. Then the next, I'm rushing through another.
I don't really have a main goal when I play an RPG. Well...I mean everyone's goal is to beat the game, but I think the main goal of any RPG is to enjoy the journey. I think the two most important aspects of any RPG are the story and characters. You can have the best gameplay elements and amazing battle system...but if the story sucks and the characters are about as interesting as a rock, then what's the point?

My main goal is to care about the story and care about the characters. If those two are covered, the rest will just fall into place.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
post=153985
I don't really have a main goal when I play an RPG. Well...I mean everyone's goal is to beat the game...

No, it's not. That was the entire point of this topic. There are people (my friend at least, and presumably plenty more) to whom the game's "main quest" is not a true goal, it's just a way to become stronger. And therefore the final boss is utterly pointless, no different from an optional boss that gives no reward upon being defeated. He claims to have never beaten the final boss of any game that doesn't allow post-game play. Because, if it doesn't give a reward upon being defeated, what's the point of killing it? He doesn't even understand why games have final bosses. Ideally, the game would just continue forever, with no maximum level and no maximum power.

I can admit to thinking this way myself occasionally, and can certainly see where it comes from. Are you fighting things so you can become stronger, or are you becoming stronger so you can fight things? The amount of detail and focus that RPGs tend to give to the process of becoming stronger certainly can easily lead you treat it as the one central task of the game, around which everything else revolves.

My real question is, is this a mindset that we should be accounting for as developers? Should we be treating this type of player's goals as every bit as legitimate as those who do want to beat the game, and making every task in the game serve some purpose in increasing the player's power? Or is it okay to ignore people like him, and create a game which a player whose ultimate goal is becoming stronger will find large sections of the game to be pointless and boring?
Pages: first prev 12 last