RPG MAKER GAME TEAR-JERKERS.

Magi
Resident Terrapin
Dooms 5 is perhaps the most touching RM game I've experienced in recent times. There aren't many words to say, but then again what does one say in the face of tremendous tragedy? You say nothing, and instead mourn as if over the death of a loved one.

Perhaps not only that, but the grace and integrity of the heroine is what made it even harder to watch. It was... So sad.
I get teary-eyed watching any scene with epic heroics, like when the loser flies a jet up the pie-hole of the spaceship in Independence Day - badass.
Pixar seems to keep a key to half the world's tear ducts lying around their offices... At least 3 of their movies have gotten me.

But so far a video game hasn't gotten to me yet, definitely not an RMN game. I think its that games are just treated differently in my eyes, its not that video games are lacking in moving material, its that I see a game and think of all the time fighting, traveling, or having fun instead of the moving plot points that movies solely consist of.
This one time... I played my game... and it got a map-tree error... and the fix wouldn't work...

That made me cry.

I think one of the saddest scenes (in an RM game) I've seen is from the original version of the Notes of the Second Mellynd War, where your friends (and 'girlfriend') are killed in front of your eyes with you helpless to actually do anything to save them. I thought it was really well done, but in the newer version it didn't seem as sad because you hadn't spent as much time with them.

The introduction scenes were condensed a bit because people complained about the length and the story being 'stretched out' too much. That's one case where I think a longer introductory scene helped an RM game, though I'm sure many others who've played it disagree with me.

The tower scene in Clouded Heart was touching too.
I tear up ridiculously easily at the corniest shit (like even obviously tacked-on father-son reconcilement subplots in awful blockbuster movies I'VE . . . I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU KID *fondly chucks under chin before dying of monster wounds* noooooo) but never games, I think. This is probably due to the fact I don't play many but also because I think a lot of them go for melodramatic sadness like the semiobligatory destroyed village sequence rather than smaller bittersweet moments.

In terms of gamesadness I think the closest I ever got was the two N64 Zelda games. Like in the first one you had this monstrous dark future world where the gorons got enslaved and the ranch owner guy is fucking drinking himself to death in the village place and all your childhood friends are all melancholy and alone and turn into some fucking coin things to help you on your quest aaaa. Majora's Mask was almost too grotesque to be sad but stuff like uh what happens if you don't stop the aliens in the ranch or that whole wedding subquest and the knowledge that it kept happening over and over again was pretty overwhelmingly bleak back then!! Maybe it's not too good an example because both those games were more despairing than tearjerking at that point but I guess the point is that sometimes a light touch works best, and it's better to focus on smaller moments of sadness than beat people over the head with MASS DEATH. It was a less sad to see the ocarina of time castle town being decayed and overrun by zombies than it was seeing the villagers desperately trying to keep a brave face on things in their shitty messed-up world!!
Never cried from a movie or a game... well, besides the Titantic. But I was like, 8...

But a scene that shocked me the most in an RM game was when a character I liked was killed in The Way 4
I nearly cried after the Rachel scene in FFVI, but as for RPGMaker games, no, never. Not even... sort of close. I don't even think I've played an RM game that has made me THINK I'm supposed to be sad, nevermind actually be sad.
Truthfully, it's easier to shock people than to make them sad.
I cried during my traversal of the techno area in Molasses Meow.
The only time I cried from an RM* game was when I turned on a game called PIG.
I can't really think of any RPGs that have gotten emotional responses from me on this level, much less RM* games.

Now that's not to say it is not worth trying for in an RM* game or whatever, but one needs to understand the technicalities/difficulties of producing a genuine emotional response out of someone in any form of art. It is even more difficult here, as RM* game developers, because we often approach other games in this community with a highly critical eye and are frankly not in the proper mindset for being enamored by a story in the first place. Additionally, distractions are usually pretty constant: game-breaking bugs, horribly balanced battles, commercial rips/music muddying up any potential for a unique experience - all of those things hit the atmosphere and our suspension of disbelief, which are necessary for provoking a truly emotional response from someone. The rips/music thing probably bugs me the most, personally; how the hell am I supposed to take some emotional scene seriously when I am listening to Xenogears.mp3 in the background and controlling Crono from CT and have a whole bunch of familiar Fire Emblem facesets attached to my party members?

Of course the biggest issue is probably the quality of writing in these sorts of situations - but certainly no need to make it harder than it already is.
I don't know any RM game that can make me cry, but one commercial game made me cry, Lufia 2 in the scene after final battle.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Perhaps I should include "sad scenes that made you pause and reflect" to the thread, as those seem to be more common.
post=202053
Perhaps I should include "sad scenes that made you pause and reflect" to the thread, as those seem to be more common.

You still didn't tell when it was that you cried.
I'm not much of a crier when it comes to video games, honestly. Or any sorts of media, but video games have gotten me to have emotional reactions. I think ABL comes pretty close to that for me, though. There's nothing fundamentally impossible about it, though.

Now that's not to say it is not worth trying for in an RM* game or whatever, but one needs to understand the technicalities/difficulties of producing a genuine emotional response out of someone in any form of art. It is even more difficult here, as RM* game developers, because we often approach other games in this community with a highly critical eye and are frankly not in the proper mindset for being enamored by a story in the first place.

Which is why I pretty much don't market, for the most part, anyway, any creations of mine to a fellow developer or developer community. A lot of people here can't get past that 'critique' mindset and instead of trying to wade past that infuriating mindset, just market your game to the hundreds and thousands of people willing to play it elsewhere.

commercial rips/music muddying up any potential for a unique experience - all of those things hit the atmosphere and our suspension of disbelief, which are necessary for provoking a truly emotional response from someone. The rips/music thing probably bugs me the most, personally; how the hell am I supposed to take some emotional scene seriously when I am listening to Xenogears.mp3 in the background and controlling Crono from CT and have a whole bunch of familiar Fire Emblem facesets attached to my party members?

I'd disagree entirely; for me there's nothing stopping a game using rips from provoking a sort of emotional response for me, whether it's the feeling to want to kick some ass, sadness, anger, or whatever. For me it's all about the quality of the sum of the parts and the writing. Rips have never, ever bothered me when it comes to this sort of thing. Exit Fate being a great example for me, personally.
When I was younger, I was one of those fellows who cried:
-During the Aeris/Aerith scene.
-During the ending scene of FF8 where Laguna had a flashback of his wife. (forgot her name)
-During the end of Final Fantasy X.
-During the "1000 Words" scene Final Fantasy X-2

I was one of those fellows who "paused and reflect" during:
-Sue's departure in the original Grandia
-Miguel's Boss Battle in Chrono Cross
-During Zidane's "You're not alone" scene in Terra.
-Many different moments during Final Fantasy X including the Remnents of the Sin Assault, Climbing Mt. Gagazet, Zanarkand Ruins etc..
-Mareg's death in Grandia 2

As for RPG Maker games, Nope sorry =(.
post=202116
I'm not much of a crier when it comes to video games, honestly. Or any sorts of media, but video games have gotten me to have emotional reactions. I think ABL comes pretty close to that for me, though. There's nothing fundamentally impossible about it, though.

commercial rips/music muddying up any potential for a unique experience - all of those things hit the atmosphere and our suspension of disbelief, which are necessary for provoking a truly emotional response from someone. The rips/music thing probably bugs me the most, personally; how the hell am I supposed to take some emotional scene seriously when I am listening to Xenogears.mp3 in the background and controlling Crono from CT and have a whole bunch of familiar Fire Emblem facesets attached to my party members?

I'd disagree entirely; for me there's nothing stopping a game using rips from provoking a sort of emotional response for me, whether it's the feeling to want to kick some ass, sadness, anger, or whatever. For me it's all about the quality of the sum of the parts and the writing. Rips have never, ever bothered me when it comes to this sort of thing. Exit Fate being a great example for me, personally.

Are you disagreeing because your game does tons of shit that I list and you are not being honest with yourself, or do you genuinely believe this?

When I see Cormag (FE character, the portrait of the lead in your game) doing shit he wouldn't do and with a different name it bugs the hell out of me.
Are you disagreeing because your game does tons of shit that I list and you are not being honest with yourself, or do you genuinely believe this?

I am being 100% dead serious. The fact that my game does all of this isn't why I said the above; it's rather the opposite, my game does all of this because I don't mind. Rips do not bother me and they really never have. Badly applied rips (which is subjective as hell, admittedly) bother me, but I have held for years that no, rips don't bother me in the least. Balmung, Exit Fate, A Blurred Line, the list goes on of RM games that use rips that I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of.
Not pure 'crying', but misty-eyed, at a scene from an RM2k3 game called 'The Chairman's Quest'. The game played out loosely like FF2 in terms of party - you controlled mostly the same set of four characters, with one stepping off to the sidelines and having a replacement come on every so often.

And then, midgame, the heroine/designated love interest, pretty much the only one who hadn't left the team at that point, got split from the group and...

Shortly after was a scene that consisted solely of dummied up newspaper image showing what amounts to a front page obituary. Complete with note that the family had identified the body.
Yeah, never happened to me either guys.
I did come up with a concept for a game that I could see going that way... I'm just too busy with other projects to start on it though. I think only dog lovers would care for it too.