WHY RPG AND NOT ACTION ADVENTURE?

Pages: first prev 12 last
I think it's not how the battles play out, it's the pacing. In an action game it's typically fast paced. Slowing that down for a romance story feels weird. RPGs, in contrast, are slower paced, so a romance story fits right in.
post=204678
I can't think of any action games involving hours upon hours of time spent with a certain bunch of characters, in which relationships are built, enemies are fought (together) and ideals are delved into (together).

Metal Gear Solid series. All of them.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Okay, I'll admit that different genres of games lend themselves more easily to different genres of stories. Action games lend themselves to action stories, naturally. Strategy games lend them selves easily to political intrigue and war stories, though I've seen a few more character-driven ones (Warcraft 3). RPGs have a tendency to lean towards save-the-world stories, though I'm not sure if that's a natural inclination or just a tradition.

But I think you still have several choices no matter what you want to do. Putting a romance plot (or sub-plot) in a puzzle or simulator game would work at least as well as an RPG. Depending on the type of game, a lot of adventure games are pretty slow-paced too. The ones with a focus on problem-solving rather than platforming, for instance.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
post=204733
Look at the comm chats in Metal Gear Solid games for a good example.

post=204738
Metal Gear Solid series. All of them.

I concede. x:
post=204257
Anyone who picks RPGs as their genre of choice just for storytelling purposes is either stuck in a time warp to the early 90s, or just messed up in the head. I haven't played any action or adventure game in the last decade that didn't have a story. Any game with a character is expected to have a story...

No, it is likely anyone picking RPGs as their genre of choice just for storytelling purposes is someone who finds it easiest to write a story in an RPG format as opposed to others for that specific person. Everyone has what they want to do and methods of how they like doing it.

And hello, Ninja Gaiden. Funny how I use that game again as an example with a non-RPG with a story. In fact people remember that game for being one of the first to even have cut-scenes. I've played lots of games that had story and no RPG that came from the 90s. Perhaps a time warp that went also to an alternate dimension would fit your statement.
Pages: first prev 12 last