WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Uhhh, well nothing right now. I kinda have trouble with this section since it's more like "Last Time on work with X game..." The work is either not started, or already done, and I don't tend to quit midway to talk about it.

Last Time on Tales From The Reaper, I made a totally automated damage system, allowing for miss chance, and physical or magical defenses depending on armor/status. It ignores conventional elemental system, all to give characters an Immune popup. Then I made different damage reduction mechanisms for "physical" attacks and for magical attacks. It's basically done, except for the testing.

Next, I'm considering doing monsters with combo chains of physical or magic attacks.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I'm trying to make a point to find time every day to diligently improve my artistic skills, mostly with digital sketching, inking and painting (as well as color) since I have no experience with those things at all. I've been drawing for a long time but I have zero formal training and I want to try and take it to the next level.

Also, I'm finding time for Lily! As well as a fun little arcade game that I might finish up for practice. Life is good :)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games

Testing a tile engine. The tiles certainly aren't final; but the arrangement is one I find pleasing!
Happy
Devil's in the details
Holy shite, are you working on a tactical RPG?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Toying with the idea!

To tell the truth, I've always wanted to make one. It's just, I haven't felt capable of building such a thing until recently. Who knows, maybe I'll be the next DFalcon.
You know what I thought always was missing in tactical RPGs? 3D exploration. I always wanted to have off-time with no battle and just hike around the area, same for towns. The only TRPG that let you do that that I remember was Energy Breaker.

Anyway, I made a signature move thing. You have basically the text Signature Move flash up (thanks to scripted global battle animations on the battle event), hide the character (had to work on this, since the animation was before the hero skill use animation), and remove it after use (I made it once per battle). Now I need to make the trigger condition, so the characters can get one.
Made some fairly hefty progress on my IB3 project. Did some major fixes and a bunch of little edits that might please some people. Even took a few screenies!
Trying to get inspiration to continue to create my game demo. I fixed a major bug yesterday, so its really nothing much to do, except for the final battle (of the demo), and some side stories to finish. So I'm trying to work on them, but keep getting distracted by really interesting things, like, a white wall for example.. :<
Just removed the most annoying bug from game. Took me several months -> and the solution was soooo easy. Finally the projectiles in my game won't explode without purpose anymore. <3
Filling in empty treasure chests around the game with actual items. Not sure if I should have chests that say "Locked!" have items...probably won't change that.

Also, my Hollowed Caverns map (yes, the 1-2 hour dungeon in beta5) has a grand whopping total of 49 treasure chests in it. About 95% of them are monster-in-a-box type fights. Two of which have a miniboss (same miniboss for both of them). So yeah...hopefully that makes the Hollowed Caverns not as terrible to navigate unless you want all of the treasures! It does have an important key item though (for the good ending)...

Aside from that, need to get my multi-party switch system working, fix up bosses/enemies for Hollowed Cavern, and then go from there! I may need to recheck items to see if they're appropriate to get at the stage in the game you can get them or not. Still need to check synthesis system too. I really need someone to check that over and help me brainstorm with, just like a lot of other things. x_x;;

Lot of work, but hey, progress is progress! Once I'm out of vids to upload for my game though, gonna have to go on a mass video recording spree (which means vids for Oracle of Tao may come en masse), meaning I'll have to take a break from working on this game...
I'm creating a utility. I think I talked about this earlier (about a month or so) but it kinda ticks me off that in order to change to different alphabets to have your game translated, you have to have the japanese rtp, which requires understanding more than simple Japanese just to use, instead of keeping your code.

So the idea is having a simple way to use exfonts so you can have a game that can be translated seamlessly into any language you want, or even display multiple languages.

I'm gonna make a greek, hebrew, and a Japanese kata/hiragana mix (japanese is short a few characters, so I'm using them for particles, and the last two for the superscript " and o that turn "ho" into bo and po.)
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
About 95% of them are monster-in-a-box type fights. Two of which have a miniboss (same miniboss for both of them).

I am currently preparing a master spark directly aimed at your face

DUDE, WHY?! Is this an optional area?! This wasn't even tolerable in the Omega Caverns in FFX, nobody likes monster-in-box battles. They'll just start skipping the chests, honestly. Or they'll open it and long to master spark your face every time they're smacked with a battle.

I dunno, I've always really hated trap chests with a passion. A treasure chest is supposed to be a reward, often for exploration. Finding that every chest I encounter on a 1-2hour long dungeon is a monster is going to make me pull an angry german kid.

I think I've got maybe one or two mimic chests total, and one actually chases you around a maze, instead of directly engaging you in opening the chest. Mimics should be less than 1%, and never just spring you straight into a battle, there should be that few seconds where you can dodge out of the way (because the inability to avoid conflict is why people stop opening chests). Also, there should be some genuinely trapped boxes (as in, don't open this chest from the front, as it shoots you with arrows or blows up, to encourage players, rather than not opening, to just be more cautious opening).
author=bulmabriefs144
I'm gonna make a greek, hebrew, and a Japanese kata/hiragana mix (japanese is short a few characters, so I'm using them for particles, and the last two for the superscript " and o that turn "ho" into bo and po.)

I remember you brought this up in a topic a while back and I asked you this then but you didn't reply. Is your Japanese translation font only going to be using katakana and hiragana? No kanji? Because I assume you know that would be unreadable. Or are you just translating menu options, items etc.?
It's a mix (mostly katakana, except where the katakana looks like another katakana like with so and n), but kanji is frankly too many characters for exfonts. But I'll cover that too (I've got a picture textbox tutorial too). It's basically telling you how to work with stuff, and translating most of a menu that can be translated.
Well I don't know how good your Japanese is, but if you need help with anything please let me know. Just, I'm a bit unsure about using katakana for everything. I'm sure you know katakana is used almost exclusively for loan words. When I first started studying Japanese way back when I thought, "why don't they just write everything in hiragana? It would be so much easier." But now I find it more difficult reading something entirely in hiragana than in kanji, since there is no distinction between nouns, verbs etc, and grammatical structures like particles. All katakana would be almost illegible, even to a native speaker. Is all this effort really worth it? Well, that's for you to decide I guess. Although if you're going to do a translation into any language it has to be done properly I think.
@Krysty: Nope, not an optional area. The gimmick for the area is for half of the dungeon (the brown zone) the random encounters are randomly on the map (there's a variable that determines who you may encounter on the map, if anyone). The chests here are not trapped. Once you reach the 2nd half (the gray zone), these 3 random overworld enemies will never appear, and there's no random encounters otherwise in the entire dungeon. To make it less boring, I decided to go with Mimics. I'll explain them a bit:

Blue Mimics have high Magic and uses a variety of Magic based skills. They generally have good status resistances, but aren't immune to everything.

Red Mimics have high Attack and are under constant Berserk which cannot be removed. They have no other moves in their skillset, and are highly vulnerable to several statuses.

Gold Mimics have high Defenses and are highly resistant to everything (halves damage from basically everything) while having high status resistances. They namely use status attacks and Gravity-spells.

Two of the chests have the miniboss Curse Dragon, which uses nothing but Curse...however, all of its attacks are named Curse and are different from one another (three of them mimic Bowyer's gimmick, which was used earlier in the game by Keine) so you cannot tell what it does. 12,000 HP at that.

Those are the only 3 Mimics you'll encounter, and you'll never encounter more than one Mimic in any fight. Some other chests aren't Mimics and instead are either enemies from earlier in the game, or a Fire Dragon/Ice Dragon/Thunder Dragon/Holy Dragon which can be encountered on the world map in the wrong section. It's a way to make the area more interesting, what with it having 50 chests (there's 10 of each Mimic, bar Gold which there's 11 of them). Yes, the area is slightly large, but again, it's pretty straightforward once you reach the gray zone.

Of note, you do still get the chest's contents after beating them unlike some games like FFIX or FFX where it's just a fight with them. And the items you can get are pretty good (most are level 4 crafting items or high-end generic crafting items. Some stuff even weapons that you can only get by crafting them). So yeah, they're still worth fighting. Just have to deal with them is all. The highest level for crafting items for character-specific items is 5 btw.
It's a tutorial, so I'm perfectly open to someone making additions/edits. The reason I used katakana is that it's easier for me to work with, as the tiny characters on exfonts have a nasty tendency to become squiggly blobs. But yes, it is a bit annoying, since you then need hiragana for all particles (some of which I didn't likely have space for).

I also included Hebrew (even bigger mess, thanks to Hebrew vowel system) and Greek. It's awaiting review now, so I dunno.

The upside is, you can make picture text too, and probably make furigana and stuff.
author=Xenomic
Blue Mimics have high Magic and uses a variety of Magic based skills. They generally have good status resistances, but aren't immune to everything.

Red Mimics have high Attack and are under constant Berserk which cannot be removed. They have no other moves in their skillset, and are highly vulnerable to several statuses.

Gold Mimics have high Defenses and are highly resistant to everything (halves damage from basically everything) while having high status resistances. They namely use status attacks and Gravity-spells.

Those are the only 3 Mimics you'll encounter, and you'll never encounter more than one Mimic in any fight.

I like it, Xenomic.

All my mimics ever manage to do is "bite," steal your "MP's" and usually spin a wheel to randomly determine whether you receive an item, everybody dies, get some money or receive a random status aliment before it jumps the shark.
My mimics bite your hand when you try to steal from them, and you can offer them gold bags to go away (at least the larger mimic, the lesser mimics that you find as battle enemies don't really have specialized code) thanks to the Battle Item ID plugin. Well actually, they become too distracted to fight.

My lesser mimics apparently flee when you steal from them, and are the only enemy to offer gold instead of items.