WORKING IN TEAMS: YAY OR NAY?

Pages: first 12 next last
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Out of curiosity, I wonder if potential game makers here should be encouraged to work in teams. Not only do teams have more manpower and speed up a single project, people in teams usually work faster due to team pressure & motivation, and can also solve each other's dilemmas faster. Also, with the higher capabilities of a game engine comes the necessity for more manpower to use those capabilities. Finally, for anyone actually interested in the game industry, you will literally always be on a team, so you might as well start learning team skills now.

The reason I think many people don't work in teams is that they do not want:
-To compromise their vision
-To be relied on
-To have to deal with others

(These are the reasons I wouldn't want to be on a team)

I'm just musing. I think working in teams would increase the number of completed games and the overall quality of games made here due to the fact that you and your teammate can slap each other over the head when the other has an awful idea. However, I admit I would be wary of working on a team and I'm not particularly surprised no one else wants to either.

WHAT A CONUNDRUM

discuss
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I think it really depends on who you work with and who you are. So far, I've found a nice group of people I can count on and can count on me. It's tough and I failed a lot the first two or so games I worked on because people disappear, no longer feel interested. I think it has potential as long as you find your niche.
I would love to work on a team, but I think I would most prefer to recruit people who could accomplish the things I can't, like drawing sprites or composing midi. I love the idea of different people working on different parts of a game and getting to share with each other what exciting new progress they have made. The thing is, it takes some time working with each other, and I think people overlook that. If I were coming up with a story with someone else, I wouldn't want to do it through pm. I would want to be able to call them up or at least IM them with ideas and Qs.

-CM
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
C_M, I agree that doing it through PMs would be incredibly annoying, but IRC and AIM have been around for a long time now so ease of communication is not nearly as much of an issue anymore.
Working on a team has been a great benefit for me. Having someone to talk to really helps you find problems with things or discover better ways to go about stuff, even if the person doesn't respond too much, it's still helpful to just get it out.

Personally, I haven't gotten to the point where I depend on another team member, but that's because I haven't gotten far enough into my project to need that kind of help.

Although, I think people should wait until they have a good grasp of what they're doing before they get involved with teams, as a team full of newbies would end horribly.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Craze
You don't need a team.

What you need is a support group. Don't get a writer, get somebody to look over your writing. Don't get a dedicated artist, find somebody to clean up your edits. You get the drift.

From http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/7324/.
Nay.

I want to finish a game and say IT'S MIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE.
Working in teams can be an exciting and fun experience, but it greatly depends on who you work with. You have to make sure the two (or however many) get along and share similar ideas about the project.
I think a team consisting of people who see each other in real life on a regular basis would work better than an online team. My reasoning is that when Team Member 3 drops off the face of the earth, Team Members 1 and 2 can go over to 3's house and demand to know why they haven't left the house for a week, etc.
Online, a team member can choose to ignore emails and messages.
That's not to say an online team can't work though. I just think that it would be more difficult.
Nay. I don't work on my game enough to be able to team up with someone plus my mate's suck and are not interested in the slightest in game making so...
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
after years of experience:

it works better in theory than practice.

I keep hoping, though.

edit:

holy necrobatman
yay because it's too awesome to skip up, nay because it's to hard to keep in contact unless you actually know eachother.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hey Max, let's team up. I can make the sharks and you can make the frustrating glitches. It will be great.
I want to work on a team. But I feel the need to make a small project myself first and polish my skills before I can dedicate myself to working with a team. It's kind of a "prove yourself" scenario-- you first want to see someone's work before hiring them. I'd be glad to team up with Lys and make the graphics for Line's End, but there are at least 10 people on RMN that are more talented and more qualified than me...but working with someone who has a great idea but has never actually MADE a game before is a bit daunting, and it really makes me doubt the ability of the person to make a game by themselves, not to mention in a team...

It's difficult to find the right "niche" for yourself, I guess.
I had a partner for a project once.
Although I was just the writer, he broght every detail to my attention as if I were the boss. While I would have no problem taking charge of the creative direction, I wasn't about to take over what was originally his vision.
Anyway, the project seems to be dead as dishwater now.
I would only work in teams for the following reasons:

- Laziness;
- Lack of time (pretty much the same);
- Having an idea I love too much but I can't pull off myself (like graphically, or system-wise) no matter how hard I try.

But I usually do not work in teams. I don't like the feeling of making a game and not feeling like I made it. I like feeling authorship over as many aspects of the game as possible. Yes, I'm very jealous.

---edit---

I just noticed I had already replied. :p
Whatever, this is more complete. :D
What I would really like to have is an aforementioned "support group" (one or more persons to critique my writing, pacing, story ideas, etc. before I release my game). I havent found or looked for anybody as of yet, though
I like working in teams so that one person can work on the parts they like to work on, and another person can work on another part. That being said, in my view there are two types of teams.

The first type is a team where there is one person in charge who is making a game, and a group of people who help create that game. In this team the person in charge makes all of the decisions. If it's a project I really care about then that's the kind of team I prefer. I will do most of the work and will get help from a few people on some of the parts. The problem with this team happens when someone starts helping and then wants to start taking bigger decisions on the project. However, if someone stops working on the project, as long as it's not the one in charge the project will often continue being developed.

The second type is a team where everyone works equally on the project. The idea came up in a discussion and everyone decided to work on it. No one is really in charge. Someone might split a few tasks at first, but there doesn't end up being someone making all of the decisions. There's nothing wrong with this kind of team. It can lead to great projects with a lot of variety. However, often in these kinds of projects is that either someone will care more about the projects and then it becomes more like the first type, or no one cares a lot about it. Then if someone stops working on it the project often ends up nowhere.

Anyway, all that to say that I am very much in the favor of teams, but if I really care about the projects, I want to be in charge and make decisions; at least when it comes to the story.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I like the idea of working in a team, but am afraid what the exposure to my muse's Bludgeon of Inspiration would do to my team-mates.
Pages: first 12 next last