TREASURE OF THE RUDRAS

Pages: first 12345 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

How many of you guys have actually played Treasure of the Rudras for the SNES?

If you haven't, here's why you should:
-Aeon Gensis did an amazing translation that you can get here

-The game looks terrific; you know this from seeing all of the rips, but it looks even better in-game

-The music is really, really good, and each character has a theme remixed for boss, field and flashback use.

-The story is interesting - better than yours, that's for sure - and split up into 3.5 segments. Sion, Surlent and Riza each get full-length plots that interact with each other, and then Dune takes over as leader for the finale. Basic summary: you have sixteen days before humanity is destroyed. Go!

-There's a lizard, a ninja, a gnome-ish dude, a giant, a mermaid and a zombie as playable characters

-Create your own spells! Everything from OCEAN to ZEUS to RMN to MAGICIELTFT is a mantra you can type in and cast in battle

-It's challenging and fun with interesting bosses

Seriously, you guys rip the graphics. Play the game!

I've played a little myself, need to get back into it sometime. I got up to some... arena thing. I had to fight three guys at once, and that's the last I remember.

It was really good though.
I've played and beat this game twice, that's how good this game is. Its a pity there wasn't more added to the game, like having more freedom to do stuff in the games, while I understand there is 4 stories in the game, you'd think they would have more stuff to it, like Arena, Mini Games, etc.
author=Craze
-The story is interesting - better than yours, that's for sure

Felt a little offended. Like saying all Indie Games < Rudora no Hihou. Really, really felt a little offended. Anyways it really does seem like a vretty damn good game, graphics, story and gameplay wise... But, judging by the samples you give here, the music isn't as good as other SNES titles such as, say, Secret of Mana, i dunno. It seems kinda annoying. But EE feels pretty awesome, I'm gonna go and try playing this once again. Thanks. <3
I played and beat the game. I thought it was...okay, honestly. Not very great.

The plot had an interesting premise, to be sure. Humanity is going to be wiped out and replaced in 16 days, like the myriad of other mythical races before it. Go forth and stop it. Unfortunately, the quest itself never really makes this poignant and relevant. All three characters explore the world and stumble upon tons of side plots, locations, characters, and events, but they all seem very disconnected with each other and unrelated to anything overarching in the game.

I literally cannot remember the importance of say, Sodom Castle or that town where everyone is zombies. Unlike a game with a smooth narrative of events like Xenogears or Final Fantasy, events in this game just happen for the sake of happening and have no real lasting narrative impact except for a handful of character related events. The way the plotline wraps up at the end of the game is similarly senseless and the game wraps up on some real ass dumb shit. I never have this attitude about myself, but the story sure as hell ain't better than mine.

The graphics are astounding, as this community can wordlessly attest to. The visuals are also great; the maps are better used than the people who borrow the graphics.

The music is mediocre at best, seriously. Listen to a Chrono/Xenogears/FFVIII/DQVIII track and tell me the music is great.

The gameplay is kinda butt. It tries to sell itself on the Mantra system, the ability for the player to create spells via a system of making up words and names, but with no real help for the player and no real guidance, that's all you have. Besides that, the gameplay is super simple. There's really nothing to do, battle wise or gameplay wise. I'll give it credit for challenging bosses, though.

I'll give it an 'eh/10'.
Craze
Lennon: That's the second story arc of Sion's scenario. Did you only try him?

JoesephSeraph: You really, really felt a little offended?

MOG: I like how it's a turn-based game that lets you play around with it. For the first boss battle with Riza/Garlyle, you're fighting a robot, so you might want to cast lightning spells. You think "oh hey what about ZAP or ZEUS or STORM?" so you type those in. You put Riza in the back row - since rows are useful in this game - and have her use ZEUS or ALEF/LEFNA (heal/heal all) while Garlyle attacks, uses ZAP when he can for the extra damage, and defends Riza (any character can cover any other character, a la paladins in FF). You can also play with turn order Breath of Fire 4-style, which is really useful. Bosses literally go red so that you know they're starting to fall, which is good for a hard game like this.

I think the gameplay's pretty good. You have lots of tools that you're expected to use.
I didn't know you could choose? I thought it was in a linear order no matter what.

Also, I didn't think the story was that cool either. It was pretty basic stuff (with a different twist of course) but I understand how that's basically what ALL the stories were back then. At least it actually did something cool with the big bad destroying the world/people thing.
author=Lennon
It was pretty basic stuff (with a different twist of course) but I understand how that's basically what ALL the stories were back then. At least it actually did something cool with the big bad destroying the world/people thing.

See, that's hard for me to swallow when you have the FFIV/FFVI/Chrono Trigger/Mana/etc down the street. This was literally one of the last SNES games to be ever released. It's not like nobody knew any better by then.
Well, I didn't know when it was released.
Nah man, it's cool. I dunno, it's sort of a shame because it could have been much more coherent.
Craze
I thought it was pretty cool to go to the Underworld really early, to free butterflies that visibly cleanse the world as Riza's first mission, to drop floating islands onto the planet, play as a zombie that keeps losing his body and thus possesses another PC's dead besties, etc.
But it's just a bunch of random shit, though. It's one of the same issues I have with Chrono Cross; the plotline is wasted on nonrelated event after nonrelated event, instead of setting up a poignant narrative that actually makes you give a shit and be invested in what's going on.
author=Craze
JoesephSeraph: You really, really felt a little offended?

Hey, not for me. I mean, there are so many awesome indie games with so much intereing and awesome stories out there and *-*

Well, I guess you get the point. I did feel a *little* offended, but whatever.... Anyways, this game feels like a gem. Not the best of SNES, but definately one of them.

Eh, Ok, I'll dissappear before being murdered by some random murderous forum goer. ( 9_9)"

Craze
You're greatly affecting the world as you tear it up to try to save your own kind and being haunted by demon-gods that want you dead. I think it's cool.
I shouldn't have stopped to dring Coke while I was replying. >_>;
Is this an RPG Maker game? It looks like an RM game I saw once...
author=Craze
You're greatly affecting the world as you tear it up to try to save your own kind and being haunted by demon-gods that want you dead. I think it's cool.

But the game never links it up in a way that makes it apparently or interesting, though! I was interested in things that were going on on an individual, macro level, but as a whole looking back on it, they didn't mean shit for shit. Isn't it bad that I can't even remember half of it?
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I didn't really like it all too much - maybe because I hated the spell system.
It is not an RPG maker game.

Also:

FART is a wind elemental spell. GOTY till end of time 10/10
I didn't play it. Don't think it was available in Germany...
Pages: first 12345 next last