RM2K3 - A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT SHOW PIC, VARIABLES AND COMMON EVENTS.

Pages: 1
I hear there's some issues regarding rm2k3 and its "show picture" command? Especially when using variables and the like?

Anyway what I'm doing is having an ability that displays a picture (in-field) when it's used. So this is obviously using a called common event.

First question: Because it's a common event - does this mean that the common event's picture number can clash with the map's picture numbers (if the map contains events that trigger "show picture" commands)?

2nd: Also, I want the picture to display centred on my character sprite. I have tried assigning it's display position to variables which correspond to "Spite > Hero > X Positon" (and the same for Y position) but it doesn't seem to work.. Does anybody have any idea why this could be not working? Also I have the feeling that if it does work; it will align a corner of the picture to the hero sprite and not it's centre.

And lastly I guess I'd just like to know what the common issues with show picture (especially when used with variable refs or common events?) in 2k3 are if anybody knows. I've heard things a while back but have no idea which threads describe the issues it has.

Cheers :)
first question, yes they will clash.

second, to do this you should first let some instance use show picture with the picture you want to use, and then have a parallel process get the "screen relative" coordinates of the hero, and use those coordinates in a move picture command with 0.0 wait and the "wait until done" unchecked.

A common problem with show picture would be if you have some loop repeatedly calling it, it's one of those things which are rather prone to cause lag.
1. Yes, it will interfere with pictures on the map. The picture ID accounts for everything in RM2k3, there is no picture ID separated between common events and the map itself.

2. The X and Y coordinate only works with the tiles on the maps, not by pixel. Instead, use the "Screen-Relative X/Y" command on the variable operations.

3. I don't think there are any issues with the show picture, but I could be wrong. If you can elaborate on that, I might be able to answer your question.
And lastly I guess I'd just like to know what the common issues with show picture

Try using it to initialize a scene once and don't call it again as long as you're using the picture or it will lag. Use the other picture commands instead to update the pictures. I had to do this for my number displays because they were making the engine lag.

This is likely because Show Picture forces a resource load every time you're using it so you're loading the resource repeatedly every frame.
Pages: 1