SQUARE ENIX LOSES ALL SANITY, ANNOUNCES FINAL FANTASY 13-2

author=Hexatona
author=jakandsig
=You want to defend a game you know nothing about?

Oh, and it was a Squareenix attempt at merging Wrpgs worlds with Jrpg gameplay. Or that's what I heard.
I can't understand that at all, considering WRPGs are known for their nonlinearity. I'd belive that about XII but not XIII

13 looks like it TRIED though.
You're saying 13 tried to be non-linear by making everything 100% linear? I'm not sure I understand.
You can argue that FFXIII tried a lot of things, but I can't see how it's even close in style, gameplay or otherwise, to any WRPG. FFXII? Sure. FFXIII? Hell no.
author=Feldschlacht IV
You can argue that FFXIII tried a lot of things, but I can't see how it's even close in style, gameplay or otherwise, to any WRPG. FFXII? Sure. FFXIII? Hell no.

Maybe I'm mixing my games up. Let me look at some screen shots.
Yeah, you're thinking of FFXII, I'm sure!
Yeah, I forgot 13 was also for the Xbox. I played that, I was thinking of 12. Oopsie dasies.
Yeah when I saw the news I knew it was a bad idea. Terrible, terrible, terrible. A direct sequel to a lame game. Why can't they just let games die? I am pretty sure they are gonna mess the only thing savable from XIII. The ending. You know, cause it ended.
This is no reflection on how I feel about what you said, but your post is pretty funny coming from the person with the Lightning avatar. If it wasn't for what you said I would have pegged you as a fan of the game (or at least the character)
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
THUNDER AND LIGHTNING VERY VERY FRIGHTENING
I had problems with FF13, sure, but none of them were the linearity. I don't really understand the draw of being able to get lost in a game because you headed in the wrong direction, like, at all. Some of the characters were annoying, but what "modern" Final Fantasy game hasn't? Even the most annoying character, Vanille(oh god kill her and her voice actor), had an interesting back-story. The end of the game was a mess, story-wise, but then again it was a lot less linear as well.

To be perfectly honest I absolutely loved FF13's battle system, especially the way it handles roles(someone mentioned earlier that White Mages in 10-2 can't attack - in FF13, only the two main damaging roles have actual attacks, and only one of those has an actual attack command. Technically the debuffer also deals light damage with each attack, but that is still an important part of their overall role.).

I honestly don't know if people are seriously this opposed to linearity or if they are mis-directing their hate. Personally, I like linearity and I think as far as battle strategies and item/money/equipment management goes you are given enough free-reign to keep things interesting - exploration isn't the only way you can have a certain amount of non-linearity.
I don't really understand the draw of being able to get lost in a game because you headed in the wrong direction, like, at all.

Because if you have fun along the way, who cares? You've never had a real life misadventure like that before?

Also yes, people are seriously that opposed to linearity. In the world of FFXIIs, Dragon Ages, Fallouts, and Elder Scrolls, is it hard to see why?
I'm not opposed to linearity. Just because a game is sandbox doesn't mean it's good (having played Bethesda's two current generation efforts, I can't say I'm eager for Skyrim).

However, FFXIII was too linear. It's not that it was linear, it was just too extreme in its linearity, just like some games are too extreme in their aimlessness. Plus, the storyline and voice acting weren't all too great, so combining that with extreme linearity made for an almost unpleasant (not bad) experience. It was too much like an on-rails Shooter in that regard.

I have no problems with linearity as long as the content is interesting, but FFXIII was incredibly mediocre in content.
If I may ask, Crimson, how did you feel about New Vegas?
I haven't played it since I was not satisfied at all with Fallout 3. I really have no plans to continue perusing through Bethesda's vision of the Fallout franchise (I know New Vegas was developed by Obsidian, which opens up a new can of worms). Plays too much like Oblivion, which was broken in so many respects. The only reason I'm not writing Skyrim off is because it has an entirely new engine and looks very much improved. The Gamebryo engine used for Oblivion and Fallout was just a gigantic piece of crap, and Bethesda's use of it made the games unbearable for me.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Damn Crimson, you must have had a very, very unpleasant experience with Fallout 3.
I personally loved it, and didn't see too many flaws(that bothered me)
But I'm a huge fan of the Fallout series and post-apocalyptic games, and I gotta' say imo that Fallout 3 did a really good job at satisfying my needs.
I hope to play New Vegas soon...

But, to each their own!
I'm not a huge fan of Bethesda, though.
New can of worms? You don't like Obsidian? I can thoughly say that the improved writing alone makes NV a superior game to F3.
I don't get how FF13 is any more linear than FF10.
author=Feldschlacht IV
This is no reflection on how I feel about what you said, but your post is pretty funny coming from the person with the Lightning avatar. If it wasn't for what you said I would have pegged you as a fan of the game (or at least the character)

I loath the FF series. And a lot of the characters from it. Including Lightning. However, I did this peculiar RPGVX version of Lightning for community involvement on another site, and nothing else seem better at the time for an avatar.
author=Pokemaniac
I don't get how FF13 is any more linear than FF10.

-You could revisit areas in FF10
-FF10 had sidequests and minigames throughout, such as
-Traveling the world to find the Jecht Spheres
-Additional summons
-Monster collecting and combining
-The various minigames to get the characters ultimate weapons
-Blitzball!
-The airship dynamic.
-Optional stuff to do throughout the game such as the Al Bhed Language

WHEN WILL THE FINAL FANTASY BE REALLY FINAL!

I wish they can kick up their old titles up, just like how they made their Final Fantasies, specifically the Parasite Eve series.