SQUARE ENIX LOSES ALL SANITY, ANNOUNCES FINAL FANTASY 13-2

author=Fallen-Griever
Dress me up Barbie mode
Aside from the fashion-aspect, what is wrong with the dress-sphere system?

Go!

Reused class system with nothing new and no innovation, If I wanted to play a good final fantasy with a class system i would play V which is a great game in all aspects.

So we keeping this going or are we done because in the end, internet fights just lead to fail for all
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Fallen-Griever
Dress me up Barbie mode
Aside from the fashion-aspect, what is wrong with the dress-sphere system?

Go!

Bingo. The gameplay in X-2 was extremely good, which just makes the people who rant about how the new games prioritize story over gameplay look ignorant. I despised the story in X-2 and I never got far in the game, but the gameplay was fantastic.

The number of pessimists here is really saddening. FFX, XII, and XIII were fantastic games that I personally loved a lot more than the random encounter-laden grindfests from past generations. Bring on XIII-2, Versus, and Type-Zero. Haters gonna hate.
Not like you were singling anyone out, but I really don't think I could be called a pessimist over this. I paid 60 bucks for the damn game, expecting a good RPG after all that hype. What I got was some on rails RPG with a battle system that can't decide if it's action or turn based, characters that don't interest me and blather on forever about shit that they don't give me reasons to care about.

The game took literally everything I liked about RPG's and threw it out the door. I think I have a reason to be sort of upset about it.
author=Sailerius
FFX
loved a lot more than the random encounter-laden grindfests from past generations
uhhhhhhhh

anyway:
if they can do for ff13 what ffx-2 did for ffx, then i'm all for this

(i realize ffx-2 had random encounters too but it also has a better battle system than ffx (though ffx had a pretty smart battle system, it just didn't do as much with it))
author=Gongo
author=Feldschlacht IV
Final Fantasy X-2 has one of the best, it not THE best, battle system and gameplay structure of the series. I've yet to see an argument refute this. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

People can agree that the story and presentation was cheesy and dumb, but when you challenge someone on why they think the gameplay was bad, everyone just sort of falls silent.
So its battle system makes all its other massive flaws (shit story, wrong atmosphere, retarded quests, worst ending in final fantasy history that completely fucked up the genualy good ending of FFX, Bad character designs, Dress me up Barbie mode, Cash cow attempt) obsolete?

The gameplay is so good, that yes, it does.

Reused class system with nothing new and no innovation, If I wanted to play a good final fantasy with a class system i would play V which is a great game in all aspects.

A Final Fantasy which does something that a Final Fantasy before it also did? Stop the god damn presses. Also the battle system in X-2 had a LOT of innovation and did a lot of things that only it did, to this day.

FFX
loved a lot more than the random encounter-laden grindfests from past generations

Yeah I don't get this either. FFIV is probably the only not ancient FF that required any amount of grinding whatsoever. Not to insult you or anything, but several of the FFs, most notably FFVII and VIII, can be beaten with someone of the mental acuity of a deep sea invertebrate. FFVII in particular would make me wonder if the person playing it wasn't a full on retard if they felt they had to grind.

The number of pessimists here is really saddening. FFX, XII, and XIII were fantastic games

FFX, and FFXII were different experiences that one may or may not find to their taste, but FFXIII was just garbage outside of the interesting battle system.

"Hey, let's take the things that people like about RPGs and completely throw it out the window!"
FFX for me has turned into a grind-fest, but that's probably 'cause I'm up to Seymour Flux and his god damn 1-Hit KOing Cross Cleave...

As for X-2, I prefer it over the original in terms of mechanics, but not so much in the story. Then again I don't really like X's story that much.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Awesome! I'm excited for this one, since FFXIII's setting and battle system had a ton of potential that fell short in the first game because of a conservative approach.
i distinctly remember the moment i fell in love with ffx-2: when i realized white mages don't get a pointless attack command because who would ever use that

(same with black mages but that wasn't part of my revelation)
X's story made me a sad panda, and the voiceovers were kinda weird at times, too. It had the better story, but X-2 was WAY more fun.
In FF10 they tried to lip sync with animations that were unchanged from the Japanese. Understandably the VA in FF10 suffered a lot because of this. Thankfully they realized their error and ignored lip syncing entirely in FF10-2.
I'm actually playing through FF13 right now, as a friend of mine let me borrow it. Just got to disc 2, and the only positive things I'd have to say the game has is the acceptable battle system and the beautiful graphics. Everything else was sub-par; as I've been playing, I kept saying to myself, "This game could've been much more fun if it was articulated better."

FF13 did a lot of things RPGs shouldn't do.

EDIT: Lightning is hot.
The only FF game I didn't enjoy all that much was part 12, but other than that, they are definitely solid games, imo. Each one has its pros and cons -- but none of them failed to be entertaining, at least to me (sans FF12). FF4 & 8 are my favorites, but that's mainly because of nostalgia.

I'm drawn to more edgier stuff now, so the FF games no longer hold my interest, but I don't hold Square accountable for that, though. I had just simply grown up.
I wonder what everyone on this boards opinion is on the Kingdom Hearts series...
I really enjoy the series and its unique battle system, and versus looks like a more mature version of it so I'm really pumped for that.
author=Laharl
I wonder what everyone on this boards opinion is on the Kingdom Hearts series...

My friend is really insistent that I should play every Kingdom Hearts and love all of them...

I've only beaten the first so far, which wasn't exactly terrible or anything. Could've used a lot of improvements though (Read: Less Disney, more think of something yourself). I told her I'd play the second one soon, so it'll be interesting to see if they actually improved anything.
The second one, IMO, is actually much worse. The environments are so small and lack any sense of exploration. Yeah, combat is a little better, but the Organization XIII story was laid on way too thick and I had no idea what was going on since I had not played the Chains of Memories game for GBA. They left a lot of KH fans in the dark with that decision to continue on from that game instead of from KH1.
I don't think you should play ALL of them... The handheld versions (gameplay wise) wasn't that great (I only mean Chain of memories and 358/2 Days. I have yet to play Birth By Sleep since I have no PSP).
I tried to play CoM as well, actually. Fuck that game. "Hey, lets port KH1 onto the GBA and give it an awful battle system!"
Same goes for Coded, though I haven't played it either. I intend to try it out, but not buy it...
Their primary problems are in spreading out the mythos of the KH games on multiple systems, ensuring that not everybody will get the full picture unless they read it on the internet. Where's the fun in that, though? >_> The whole series is convoluted to the point where I've stopped caring about what happens, actually. Fuck Xehanort and his ridiculous amount of incarnations.