USING RPGMAKER TO TEACH R.E. TO KIDS

Pages: first 12345 next last
I'm a youth worker by profession and part of my job involves teaching Religious Education to primary (elementary) school kids. This term (semester) in one school with kids aged about 8-11 I've been doing it using rpgmaker2000. Basically I'm having them design their own material as we learn stuff about Christianity, and then at the end of term I'm going to put everything together and give it to them each as a game. I did a simialr thing once in a Philosophy class and it worked really well.

So for example, the first week they all designed a character which they drew on a piece of paper, and which I am replicating as best as I can in CharasEx to make sprites for the game, and we talked about how in the Christian tradition God designed and created humankind and how he is pleased with what he made (Genesis 1, Psalm 139). The next week we came up with "super powers" for our characters (=skill sets) and then dsicussed Jesus' parable of the talents and how we all have skills and talents to put to use.

I have mapped out the whole of the term, but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for themes or points of connection that could help me out, as some parts of the material are weaker than others? I'm sure there are points of connection with other religions too, as RPGs are so closely linked to mytholgy, although I'm just working within the Christian tradition.

So, aside from the ridiculous replies I anticipate, does anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks in advance.
lol religious indoctrination RPG Maker

Now I have seen it all and my life has been completed.
*makes water tiles passable*
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
<>Branch: IF Switch(0001: Godliness) is ON
<>Replace Tile: BottomLayer Water -> Wine
<>
END
<>
RedSea1: Move Left
RedSea2: Move Right
Israelites: Move Up, Up, Up, Up, Up, Up
Force Equip: "Crown of Thorns"
DEF = -12
HP decreases 5% every turn.
Cursed Item!
Wait, so basically you make a game that is about related to the Bible but doesn't follow it exactly right?

First God made Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel. Just an example. So let's say Adam is a Farmer, Eve is a Mother/Healer/whatever that can fit in here, Cain is a hunter and Abel...is a Shepard. So you want to demonstrate that each of them have gifts that makes them unique and special right?

What you could do is that probably, make a Harvest Moon-like game. For example, Adam shows how his abilities helps make plants happy, Cain hunts down animals for food, Eve shows how her abilities heal Cain/Adam/Abel when they get injured or cook food based on the plants and animals they got and how her knowledge of combining ingredients make them strong and happy. Then maybe Abel shows how caring for animals gain their loyalty or something and how it's beneficial etc.

Hope that helped somehow.
I think games are excellent for teaching. Especially the story-based RPGs where you can essentially convert certain aspects of stories into the game equivalent. Making them interactive stories with some learning stuff put in.

And especially if the kids are part of the creative process as well it can (probably) be very rewarding. First they learn by creating. (what better way to learn something than by making something and trying to stick to what it's based on) And then they learn by enjoying what has been created.
You should totally make a part where Cain slew Abel over a disagreement about sacrifices. Or how Abraham killed his son because he was commanded to do so by God. Or how Jesus planned to make families hate each other, starting his explanation with "I came not to send peace, but the sword".

Totally safe for kids.

...as RPGs are so closely linked to mytholgy, ...

Except we know we're making all the shit up.
author=WolfCoder
You should totally make a part where Cain slew Abel over a disagreement about sacrifices. Or how Abraham killed his son because he was commanded to do so by God. Or how Jesus planned to make families hate each other, starting his explanation with "I came not to send peace, but the sword".

Totally safe for kids.

"I come with fire and sword, to tear father from son"
@NewBlack

Depends on your translation, but it still says the same thing underneath. I also remember something about how Jesus told his followers it was alright to steal if you said you were taking something to give to God.
I always found that to be a fun part of game design - making up wacky religions. It is so easy to do!
Let's all join the cult of Kefka and circle around at the base of some tower somewhere! Nah, still has nothing on that one eternal life cult from Terranigma where the evil scientist guy decides he's only going to have a few people live forever and kill the rest with the Asmodeus Virus.
Although I am not personally too keen on religious doctrine and what not, I do think it is really cool that you are using videogames to educate the youth. Videogames more often than not get a bad wrap but they really can be a wonderful tool for use in a wide variety of ways. Education could benefit a lot I think from the use of gaming technology and software.
author=kentona
*makes water tiles passable*

Nerdiest joke ever. Best joke ever.
hello can we not make this the religious prejudice topic please
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=geodude
hello can we not make this the religious prejudice topic please

SOMEbody enjoys their religious gaming
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
I really wanna say something about making jesus and co. traverse the horrors of dantes inferno but I forgot that christians don't like catholics so I guess catholic mythology is out of the question.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
Pages: first 12345 next last