STORY VS. FEATURES

Pages: first prev 12 last
I'd say gameplay can appeal better because it's much easier to make gameplay appeal to many players than a story does. Games where the player is a villian are possibly more appealing to many because the player is in control of what to plot instead of having to cross the plans of another one.
For me it would be about the story. If the story isn't right then I have a lower chance of playing it, but features are important. I am still only into my second game, and I am now getting to the point where I am comfortable enough with the mechanics of Maker XP that I am willing to move beyond the template provided. Although it's a small thing for me, my next game, I will be changing how the battles work. It's actually only a small thing at best, but for someone who is only working on game two and going on to game three that change in the game features is actually a very big thing for me.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
The debate between gameplay and story is really silly. One isn't objectively better than the other. The bottom line is what matters in the end is the player's experience. If you can conjure a memorable experience in players by prioritizing story and characterization over gameplay, then do it. If you're not a great writer, but you can cause the player to have hours of fun exploring your world and conquering your challenges, then do it.

There's no magic formula to creating a rich, memorable experience. It's different for every developer and it's important to play to your strengths.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I think that's quite right.
author=Sailerius
The debate between gameplay and story is really silly. One isn't objectively better than the other. The bottom line is what matters in the end is the player's experience. If you can conjure a memorable experience in players by prioritizing story and characterization over gameplay, then do it. If you're not a great writer, but you can cause the player to have hours of fun exploring your world and conquering your challenges, then do it.

There's no magic formula to creating a rich, memorable experience. It's different for every developer and it's important to play to your strengths.

I agree with you on this. You make a strong point about who the developer is and what they can overall produce with their own talents. It's a factor that's easily missed when you try to see the world only from your own eyes. I sometimes forget that being so lost in my own projects. I admit that. Hell, that's probably how most people are.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
author=LockeZ
I don't think he means that the player can customize the game.

Although that would be... a really interesting system.

Little Big Planet comes to mind, in a small sense.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
A small large sense, one might say.
Thiamor
When I play a game, I want to try and improve my gaming skills for the next game, which is whay I get so mad when I die. But when I play a RPG, I love storyline and will try and find out how much you can be thrown into the game with this. This is where I come to my point of my favorite RPG because it's the only true one I've played, Golden Sun.
It had a great intro to the game and I could do whatever I could to play the game, all because the story. If you call Pokemon a rpg, it's not. It doesn't have a storyline. It's a game built off of features. I at least would go as far as saying it's a good series, and the closest to the storyline they got is when you do quest and such you get more stuff that allows you to go on. But it's kind of a dull storyline.
But then Golden Sun has it's own features and problems. TThe features are all the powers you gain and all the cutscenes going on as long as they do screw that up.
Example:Your in that Mountain at the beggining of the game. The puzzles you solve are fun, and then you find a portal that sends you to the edge of the world near the ocean. A medium sized cutscene pops up. Then you get to play a little more and get the "stars"(orb things named after the planets), and everytime, if you could call it one, when you get a star, you get an incredibly small cutscene telling you "good job!" When you get the third one you find out the main problem of what the villains want, and I believe this cutscene takes place in 2 places, the outside, and the edge of the world and if you aren't using an emulator, especially one that allows you to speed up the game, it could take like about 5 minutes to pass, I've never timed it, but that's just estimate.
And the whole game is trying to force itself to wrap everything around storyline and features, which makes the cutscenes so long.
So maybe it can be a good thing if you don't have too much or too little. My games usually don't have too many features and are just followers of old rpgs(not sequels or actually part of the storyline), which makes the storyline kind of wierd. I remember making a game that was really short(as usual) and the storyline was talking about you are playing a dude who got in trouble because he killed billions of kids at a school. The main features I wanted to implement was the bosses, where sometimes there were different ways to defeat the bosses. And my idea failed. Guess why, the storyline and my inexperience! Pretty well, my game was so short I added more maps to travel through and some incredibly stupid stuff like a quest to go do something for the Queen of Hearts or just the stupidest sized maps on the earth to go to a world map that none of the other places sentyou to somewhere important, so you just go through time to stop yourself and pretty much cause a time paradox keeping you from killing alot of children!!! I could go longer on this because I have lots of time because well, I don't have a job(I'm 12, I'm not gonna have a good job at least unless you count chores!), but I have other stuff to do, other sites to go to, so in short, my idea on story and features: don't add to much, don't add to little. It's the complete oppsite of the coin, where you can have one side without the other, just won't be as good.

P.S.:Drakyith, did you like my game? Next time I make a game for Crappy game reviews I'll do it on purpose completely unlike last time, if you let me. MUAHAHAHA!
Features > Story.

Why tell a story in a game when you can just WRITE A STORY!!!!
author=ShortStar
Why tell a story in a game when you can just WRITE A STORY!!!!
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2277//
why tell a story in a game, movie, visual novel, tv show, comic, when you can just WRITE A STORY!!!!!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Sometimes you don't want people to simply read your story, you want them to see it. In that case, you use a visual medium for your story, such as TV, film, or comics.

And sometimes you don't want people to simply see your story, you want them to be part of it. In that case, you use an interactive medium for your story, such as video games.
author=LockeZ
Sometimes you don't want people to simply read your story, you want them to see it. In that case, you use a visual medium for your story, such as TV, film, or comics.

And sometimes you don't want people to simply see your story, you want them to be part of it. In that case, you use an interactive medium for your story, such as video games.

This, a thousand times, this.

There is a time and place for all stories, and each medium offers its own unique way of presenting it.

For a bad example, Lord of the Rings was an excellent book series. It translated very well into movies, as well. Yet it does not do well in video games. There are certainly some fun LotR games, but none are good because of their story. Even had it been a unique story (i.e. was a game before a book/movie) I doubt they would have been any good.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=prexus
author=LockeZ

This, a thousand times, this.

There is a time and place for all stories, and each medium offers its own unique way of presenting it.

For a bad example, Lord of the Rings was an excellent book series. It translated very well into movies, as well. Yet it does not do well in video games. There are certainly some fun LotR games, but none are good because of their story. Even had it been a unique story (i.e. was a game before a book/movie) I doubt they would have been any good.
This a million more. Wow, a record 3 people in a row agree with something! :3
Now, features do make a game more enjoyable to me though. Though if there is no story, I feel like I am just play testing the features. So there for, Story = Features.
What I think is that though story elements can sometimes not fit in a game, gameplay elements are the feature that makes the video game medium stand out. Story is just as important as gameplay, but beginners should worry more about the gameplay features because those are that make it a game instead of a novel or a movie.
Thiamor
If you've got random ass features that make no sense to the story, then that game will suck.

But if your features and your story fit hand in hand, then you've got a better chance at making a decent game.

Features and stories are both as important. You'll have to find the right medium in both, that kind of mend them both together, perfectly.
Pages: first prev 12 last