PIXOTHELLO

Pages: 1
Hey, what a scoop. A cool guy named "teknogames" has released a free tileset tool called Pixothello: http://teknopants.com/pixothello/. It is still being tinkered with but it gives an easy way of seeing how well tiles loop and interact with each other, and all the tiles are by default 16x16 which is the size of each tile on an RM2k3 chipset. Pixothello is very fun to use... I have been using it merely 10 minutes and already I am having fun, making tiles...

Even a dumb guy like me can have fun using Pixothello... Anyone interested in custom art or just having fun at a computer should certainly check out Pixothello... You'd be a fool, not to check out Pixothello...

If you try this program, then you might fine yourself spontaneously approaching strangers to say

"Hey, there is this neat program called Pixothello..."

Who knows what you may achieve, with Pixothello...
Heeey. This looks awesome. Thanks for posting this :D

Edit: Trying it out... I have no idea what I'm doing...
The white grid in the topleft is the set of 16x16 squares you draw on; zoom in with the mouse scroller (this part takes a bit of trial and error though). Each square corresponds to one of the tiles on the larger grid to the right, which is sort of like the SOURCE GRID where all the tiles are stored. This is what gets exported in .bmp form at the end. If you drag your pencil tool around the first grid you should see some of the ones on the right turn white, which means that since they've been drawn on they'll be part of the exported image at the end.

So basically you just draw in the squares in the 4x4 white grid, then you can tile them and so on by using the Tile Placer tool in the toolbox or by selecting them from the master grid thing on the righthandside.

I'm making it sound harder than it is but it's easy enough to get the hang of if you just start dicking around with the tileplacer tool and stuff!
I watched the basics video and this looks like an extremely powerful tool that I'll definitely give a shot next time I'm doing some pixel art. At the moment I just do it in Photoshop CS4 and the video makes it very clear I'm missing out on some fundamental features that could definitely quicken the process. Thanks for the heads up!
Wow, thanks for the link this looks great.
I'll definitely be using this a lot :)
Magi
Resident Terrapin
What a great tool. If only I had this when I was making platformer tiles!
It's a shame that this program crashes when you use the paint fill tool, uses MS paint's way of making "custom colors", and can't even load basic image files.
Paint fill didn't crash the program for me..
Pages: 1