MOVIE SUGGESTIONS...

Pages: first 123 next last
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
Howdy,

I would like to hear your suggestions for good movies to watch. I've already watched hundreds but I haven't watched a good one in ages. The last good movie I saw was 13 assassins (Jûsan-nin no shikaku) directed by Takashii Miike. It was pretty awesome and I would recommend it for anyone who likes Samurai movies.

It's funny because the movie made me cringe just like ''The Audition'' did, one of the sickest movie I've ever seen. I only realized later that they were from the same director. I would strongly recommend ''The Audition'' for people looking for new experiences, it truly is disturbing, even more so than ''Lost Highway'' or ''Mulholland Drive''.

I'm pretty open minded and would be willing to watch just about anything. I'm especially interested in foreign movies (in original language with subtitles) as well as the underdogs (like Kent Park).
Well if you want foreign I will recommend domestic. Rare Exports. Though it was actually filmed in Norway, which incidentally leads me to The Troll Hunter, which isn't domestic but Norwegian.

Of course the problem with those is that they are sci-fi/fantasy films. So if you're not inclined toward that kind of film they might not be for you.

I guess completing the circling around Sweden (who we all hate right?) I can always go for the English-language Danish Valhalla Rising.
I quite like foreign movies, I highly recommend I Saw The Devil for it being the best thriller since Oldboy. If you want crazy action scenes then The City Of Violence is worth a watch. Strange Circus reminds me of Audition but it deals with a taboo subject matter that'll make you sick, so maybe abit of Black Dynamite to take the horrid taste away.
Recently i've seen a lot of movies. " The Wild Bunch " is a very good western. "The Ballad Of Cable Hogue" is good too but looks like a comedy meanwhile, it's a western. " Le boucher" by Chabrol was the last one i saw: A french thriller full of awesome. Do you have a specific genre you like the most ? (I hope my english is correct da-ha!)
Creation
The Troll Hunter doesn't appeal to me becaues of the way it's filmed. I could never watch the Blair Witch Project for the same reason.

I don't mind sci-fi/fantasy as long as they're not predictable. Event Horizon, for one, was excellent in my opinion in the sense that it was not predictable. Valhalla Rising also doesn't appeal to me because I feel like it's tailored along the Hollywood blueprint of action movies. I am under the impression that I can guess the outcome of the movie by watching the trailer and that's not a good thing.

Rare Exports, on the other land, looks kind of cool and I'll probably end up watching it.

I Saw the Devil looks alright, although I doubt there's anything really new there. City of Violence looks interesting but it's not what I'm looking for at the moment (too predictable).

Strange Circus looks *really* disturbing. I'll watch it eventually although I'm a bit reticent. The Audition was about my threshold as far weirdness is concerned so I might be pushing it with Strange Circus.

Black Dynamite looks ok although it doesn't appeal enough to me that I would want to watch it (not now anyway).

The Wild Bunch looks familiar, I might have seen it before. The Balld of Cable Hogue I might also watch in the future.

I guess what I'm looking for is an unpredictable plot like The Game, or Mulholland Drive, Memento, Surveillance by Jennifer Lynch. Something which leaves you guessing.
The Lives of Others is my favourite foreign film. It's essentially a German spy movie with a very emotional impact involved in all of it. Worth watching if you want something a little different.
author=Creation
Valhalla Rising also doesn't appeal to me because I feel like it's tailored along the Hollywood blueprint of action movies. I am under the impression that I can guess the outcome of the movie by watching the trailer and that's not a good thing.
Believe my you can't. If there ever was a misleading trailer for a film it would be Valhalla Rising :D

But the Hollywood action trailer did put my butt in the chair. But what I got was... something completely different. (but equally, if not more, awesome)

But for mind-bending (but not really). There's some good stuff in the sci-fi realm. The acclaimed from two years ago Moon and the by now ancient Dark City (which you've probably seen). And between the two there's A Scanner Darkly. To be honest all Philip K. Dick adaptations have a bit of mindbendy stuff in them. Because that's just the nature of the source material.

And going back massively in time there's always Slaughterhouse 5.

Yeah I only watch SF I guess... ... ... (these are all English-language, mostly because hardly any other country has any SF production to speak of)
Creation
I've already seen a scanner darkly, it was excellent. I was watched Rare Exports last night, it was ok. I thought the ending was a real let down (anticlimatic). The pacing was also weird, it took about an hour to really get started.

Alright then, I'll take your word for it and watch Valhalla.

Darken, your suggestion seems interesting as well.

"Thank you for smoking"

Starring aaron eckhart and Robert Duvall (among others)

amazing movie
It's not foreign, but if you haven't seen it I recommend
Equilibrium:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_%28film%29

Check it out; you won't regret it.
if you like david lynch, maybe you could find these films interesting:

antichrist: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870984/
sånger från andra våningen: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120263/

antichrist in particular is... somewhat graphical. but at it's in english. I could probably give you a million tips on good movies (esp. non-english ones) but I'm pretty sure not everyone is going to enjoy stuff like suicide club or blood money.

However, if you're not familiar with Ingmar Bergman, I'd recommend the seventh seal http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/ for starters.

If you're into horror movies and haven't stumbled upon Rec or Rec 2 (quarantine for all you americans), a tale of two sisters and the orphanage (El orfanato), you might want to check that out.

random other movies I recommend, even though you've probably already seen them;
open your eyes (Abre los ojos)
city of lost children (La cité des enfants perdus)
Metropolis (or what's left of it. If you can dig silent movies)
Creation
I've seen Equilibrium, I think it's fairly well known. I thought it was pretty good, 7/10.

I like Robert Duval so I'll most likely watch ''thank you for smoking''.

I've heard about antichrist. It caused quite a ruckus back in the days. It seemed really dark at the time.

Abre los ojos: seen Vanilla Sky so I guess that would be kind of pointless.
La cité des enfants perdus: it's funny because this is in my native language and I've never watched it! Good reminder.
Metropolis: oh yeah... that's pretty old. One more on the list.
El Orfanato: Oh that was so good. I really liked the punch at the end. That's exactly the kind of movie I like.

Alright, I've got a pretty long list now, that's great. It's pretty hard to find out which movies to watch otherwise.

Some suggestions:
Mr. Nobody with Jared Leto. I liked it. It seems fucked up at first but it actually turns out to be pretty good.

The Butterfly Effect was quite good as well but it's mainstream so everyone has seen it. The only good movie Ashton Kutcher was ever in.

Oh, before I forget, I'm also looking for some good zombie movies.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet

Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead. Shawn of the Dead is a hilarious satire and one of my favorite films of all time. Flight of the Living Dead is just as bad as it sounds - it is the zombie Snakes on a Plane. Slither is a really horribad gross movie with "zombies" (alien bugs possessin' ur body).

In terms of non-zombie movies,
Mirrormask
is quite a good film. Youtube "Mirrormask Close To You" for a nonspoilery look at what much of that film looks like <3
Creation
Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead. Shawn of the Dead is a hilarious satire and one of my favorite films of all time. Flight of the Living Dead is just as bad as it sounds - it is the zombie Snakes on a Plane. Slither is a really horribad gross movie with "zombies" (alien bugs possessin' ur body).

Yeah, I've seen them all :). Shawn of the Dead was indeed excellent. Flight of the Living Dead was *so* bad.

Wow, mirrormask looks awesome, thanks.
mirrormask is written by neil gaiman
you don't want to go there

trust me, your time is better spent on Valhalla Rising (unless you watched it already). actually Shinan seems to know what up in general. so does Mr. Nemo!

anyway here's a recommendation from me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuo:_The_Iron_Man

edit:
oh btw, Valhalla Rising sort of operates on the basis that Aguirre, The Wrath of God is the best movie ever made, so you might wanna watch that also if you haven't seen it

edit 2:
also just want to say Black Dynamite owns owns owns
mellytan's Movie Suggestions
or,
Movies About Old People: A Life Well Spent

O'Horten - low-key Norwegian movie about a train conductor on the cusp of retirement. What will he do with the rest of his life? Less outright goofy than the DVD cover suggests. Quiet, very subtle, oddly compelling.

The Remains of the Day - fantastic adaption of the book by English-Japanese author Kazuo Ishiguro. Anthony Hopkins is great as the dry and self-denying butler Stevens, and the "remains of his day." A story of things unsaid and lives unlived. The romance here is heartbreaking because there was none to begin with.

Ikiru (To Live) - Kurosawa classic. An old bureaucrat's life amounts to 30 years of worthless work without an absence. In his twilight he gives meaning to his life by using his position to help others in his community. He starts as a nothing, needed by no one, then becomes a role model, all in the last 7 months of his life. Life-renewing in the key of It's a Wonderful Life. Interesting also as a postwar Japanese film (1952).

"I can't afford to hate people. I don't have that kind of time."

author=Creation

Zombieland~

*Oh, and allow me to second Shinan's rec of Moon, it's one of the best movies from the last few years.
Fun fact: directed by david bowie's son duncan jones
author=Creation

Zombie movies!

I guess the 28 days/weeks later are redundant since 28 days later was the movie that basically restarted the zombie boom. Fido and Dead Snow are two that I've had recommended to me and they are sitting on my DVD shelf but I haven't had a chance to check them out just yet.

Two movies that probably aren't zombie movies but ghost movies but do feature a bit of people returning from the dead to be badasses are Deathwatch and Outpost. Outpost is a movie where I recommend viewing the commentary track as well because that's one where I think there was some great insight into movie-making (especially low budget tips)

Also I know (and rec 2) was recommended but if you couldn't watch blair witch because of first person camera you should probably stay away from those two as well. There's also Diary of the Dead by Romero that uses the same technique. However there's also a more recent Romero film (a sequel to Diary) Survival of the Dead.

And this is an ancient movie you've probably seen but seriously. If you haven't seen Braindead yet put that on the top of the queue!

Finally a piece of probable sadness. This is/was a Finnish zombie movie that was supposed to be released Christmas 2008. I saw trailers for it in the theatre.

It hasn't come out yet. :(
author=Creation
Howdy,

I would like to hear your suggestions for good movies to watch. I've already watched hundreds but I haven't watched a good one in ages. The last good movie I saw was 13 assassins (Jûsan-nin no shikaku) directed by Takashii Miike. It was pretty awesome and I would recommend it for anyone who likes Samurai movies.

It's funny because the movie made me cringe just like ''The Audition'' did, one of the sickest movie I've ever seen. I only realized later that they were from the same director. I would strongly recommend ''The Audition'' for people looking for new experiences, it truly is disturbing, even more so than ''Lost Highway'' or ''Mulholland Drive''.

I'm pretty open minded and would be willing to watch just about anything. I'm especially interested in foreign movies (in original language with subtitles) as well as the underdogs (like Kent Park).

House of Flying Daggers is one of my all time favorites.
Alright so I hadn't actually seen The Troll Hunter when I recommended it (apart from a few minutes before I borrowed it from my dad). This has now been fixed and DAMN THAT MOVIE IS PRETTY SWEET!

I just wanted to say that...
hmm if only I could remember the name of my fav foreign film, pretty sad that I don't...but there's always google! It's french with english subs.

Searched, found...
It's called Brotherhood of the Wolf, although you may have seen it since it's been out for 10 years, but I also really recommend that one.

Otherwise, if you haven't seen "The Crow" with Brandon Lee then what are you waiting for!? lol
Pages: first 123 next last