FAVORITE VIDEOGAME WORLD.

author=calunio
author=goldengaav
While Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was a pretty sad rpg, I loved the world it was in.
WHAT? What world? Hehehe. Not really memorable.

I have to admit I have trouble qualifying it, but I do love it ^^. The music was pretty epic when you compare it some of the other RPGs of the day (looking at you Breath of Fire 2), I don't know, the towns were just nice, simple, and colorful?

I've always wanted to live in the postapocalypse... so...

Fallout
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Metro 2033 (Alright I've actually only read the book. But there's a game too right. And it's probably nicely atmospheric)
Bioshock (though in this case I wouldn't have minded being there BEFORE the end)
Resident Evil (or rather Raccoon City during zombie infestation)

Bioshock was a pretty sweet setting though.

Oh and Arcanum. Damn. That was a sweet setting.
I share your sentiments exactly about the worlds of Chrono Cross and FF8 YDS; the only difference is that I loved both games. =P

I also agree with post-apocalyptic settings, wish there were more of them in RPGs.
author=Shinan
I've always wanted to live in the postapocalypse... so...
wha-why??

edit: FF9 is beautiful, it'd be my top choice on a fantasy setting to live in
Happy
Devil's in the details
author=Eike
Also, Rei's avatar has reminded me of Azure Dreams and while a little light on lore etc. the 'stuck in a thriving town in the middle of the desert for the whole game' was pretty cool, I thought!

Yeah, well, I love the town of Monsbaya as well, but wouldn't it suck that every beautiful young lady in the town would be claimed by another, same guy?
author=Rei-
Yeah, well, I love the town of Monsbaya as well, but wouldn't it suck that every beautiful young lady in the town would be claimed by another, same guy?

Your new avatar is a frightening glance into my future. I... suddenly realise a drastic rethink is necessary.
author=cho
author=goldengaav
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
pretty much this

This. A thousand times this. Nothing beats dystopian underground settings.
author=Feldschlacht IV
Give me Suikoden's massive, detailed, historied, and expansive world or give me death.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who chose pokemon
author=Feldschlacht IV
Give me Suikoden's massive, detailed, historied, and expansive world or give me death.

Yes!

I'm also a big fan of Okami's world - the lore, history, atmosphere and characters. And freaking Terranigma. I love good old Earth. ^.^
Oh,there's many I can think of, but let's just pick a few.
- Golden Sun (psynergy and djinn for starters)
- Ar tonelico (like pretty much everything about it, especially hymmnos)
- Final Fantasy IX (especially the mountain world above mist-world setting)
- Touhou (they got that small realm pretty packed with anything possible)
author=Feldschlacht IV

While I share the entusiasm, the world of suikoden it's pretty generic on the surface at least until three came out. You have towns, castles, forest, mountains, etc. the same old "medieval" stuff, only places like The grasslands and later most of Falena really do break the mold in my opinion.

author=YDS
Another example is Final Fantasy 8...

Hell yeah! I'm still in love with the design of the trains, gardens, etc. Everything is very well stylized with influences from many artistic currents. In fact, whenever I hear somebody boost about nowadays artsy-fartsy games I remind them that Square used to make art long before that.
_
I would also like to live in the Xenosaga or the Grim Fandango universe, well, I guess I'd need to be dead for the last one, but it would be worth it.. =P
I like the Majora's Mask world a lot. It's sort of a pity the game mechanics discouraged you from exploring it too much what with the three-day-and-reset limit that made it hard to do things like unfreeze the goron place and unpollute the swamp etc. It seemed uh a lot more bizarre and imaginative than Ocarina Of Time or any generic medievalesque kingdoms generally. Huge stone mushrooms and isolated windmills surronded by undead and tropical bays and toxic swamps. Upside-down palaces and an enormous horrifying moon hovering over everything. Also the NPCs were weird and interesting and had neat quests. Even the colour scheme looked exciting where instead of generic muted greens and browns there were sudden purple splotches or whatever. It was basically all like a warped chinese bootleg copy of generic OoT fantasy world where everything is just that bit stranger and more unpleasant and I liked it a lot.

Shoutout as well to Links Awakening which was entirely insane *wanders into random cave, talks to an enormous dancing fish which teaches you a flute song that warps you to a pond where a ghost suddenly starts following you around* also sudden houses filled with bananas and crocodiles for no real reason but it lacked the.... 3D spacecharm...

also ahahah WHILE WERE ON SUBJECT OF N64 there was that amazing Pilotwings birdman level where you just float around ridiculous lowpoly replica of entire american continent which was pretty fantastic.

What else. Mario World mapscreen + mapscreens generally. Wandering around Monkey Island multiverse with goofy ska soundtrack. ahahah gameboy mario game with bizarre use of realworld locations / EASTER ISLAND POPULATED BY ENORMOUS HOPPING HEADS

also this
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I would also love to live in the Earthbound world. Take a massive pounding them survive with eating pizza and burgers?! Fuck yeah.
I really like the world of Fable 2!
Final Fantasy's world is pretty cool as well.
While I share the entusiasm, the world of suikoden it's pretty generic on the surface at least until three came out. You have towns, castles, forest, mountains, etc. the same old "medieval" stuff, only places like The grasslands and later most of Falena really do break the mold in my opinion.

That's the thing though; I don't have to be presented with odd and bizarre and weird landscapes to be impressed, that's not the point of why I like Suikoden.

At its face value its similar to most RPGs, magic, castles, dragons, etc etc. What's so interesting about it is how storied and detailed it is, the universes world is so big that every country is big enough to have entire games centered around them, and every piece of land, every character, every dynasty, kingdom, etc etc has its own background and line of important figures and important dates and all of that. It was a blast exploring a different part of the world with every game.

They were doing a great job with keeping up with it all until they just quit after Suikoden V.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Feldschlacht IV
What's so interesting about it is how storied and detailed it is, the universes world is so big that every country is big enough to have entire games centered around them, and every piece of land, every character, every dynasty, kingdom, etc etc has its own background and line of important figures and important dates and all of that.

Ogre Battle universe! It spans decades across different continents, with some characters being seen more than once due to their involvement in the story/international politics, and the continents even have their own personalities (Mermaids and fairies only appear in Lodis, etc).
rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
author=Versalia
Ogre Battle universe! It spans decades across different continents, with some characters being seen more than once due to their involvement in the story/international politics, and the continents even have their own personalities (Mermaids and fairies only appear in Lodis, etc).

this! :)

EDIT: I like the Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War and Fire Emblem 5: Thracia world too!
Hooo damn. (i.e. nice topic)

Probably Final Fantasy 8's world. I loved the way the cities looked. And who didn't love the awesome battle in disc 1 at Dollet...Seed initiates versus dem Galbadia bitches. Great.
author=catmitts
Shoutout as well to Links Awakening which was entirely insane *wanders into random cave, talks to an enormous dancing fish which teaches you a flute song that warps you to a pond where a ghost suddenly starts following you around* also sudden houses filled with bananas and crocodiles for no real reason but it lacked the.... 3D spacecharm...

also agree 100% re: Majora's Mask