FAVORITE VIDEOGAME WORLD.

author=geodude
no.

i have, however, heard of wal-mart

author=Feldschlacht IV
While I share the entusiasm, the world of suikoden it's pretty generic on the surface at least until three came out. You have towns, castles, forest, mountains, etc. the same old "medieval" stuff, only places like The grasslands and later most of Falena really do break the mold in my opinion.
That's the thing though; I don't have to be presented with odd and bizarre and weird landscapes to be impressed, that's not the point of why I like Suikoden.

At its face value its similar to most RPGs, magic, castles, dragons, etc etc. What's so interesting about it is how storied and detailed it is, the universes world is so big that every country is big enough to have entire games centered around them, and every piece of land, every character, every dynasty, kingdom, etc etc has its own background and line of important figures and important dates and all of that. It was a blast exploring a different part of the world with every game.

They were doing a great job with keeping up with it all until they just quit after Suikoden V.

3 is my absolute favorite. I would love to live in the grasslands, enjoying nature, fighting the good fight against whitey the Zexens.

Not to mention the fact that 3 had the best characters...
author=Kindredz
author=Feldschlacht IV
While I share the entusiasm, the world of suikoden it's pretty generic on the surface at least until three came out. You have towns, castles, forest, mountains, etc. the same old "medieval" stuff, only places like The grasslands and later most of Falena really do break the mold in my opinion.
That's the thing though; I don't have to be presented with odd and bizarre and weird landscapes to be impressed, that's not the point of why I like Suikoden.

At its face value its similar to most RPGs, magic, castles, dragons, etc etc. What's so interesting about it is how storied and detailed it is, the universes world is so big that every country is big enough to have entire games centered around them, and every piece of land, every character, every dynasty, kingdom, etc etc has its own background and line of important figures and important dates and all of that. It was a blast exploring a different part of the world with every game.

They were doing a great job with keeping up with it all until they just quit after Suikoden V.
3 is my absolute favorite. I would love to live in the grasslands, enjoying nature, fighting the good fight against whitey the Zexens.

Not to mention the fact that 3 had the best characters...

TROLL DETECTED.
lol he's right though. suikoden 3 had geddoe and that kind of invalidates anything else
author=cho
lol he's right though. suikoden 3 had geddoe and that kind of invalidates anything else

This. I don't live my life through the internet so trolling is of no use to me. Whatever I say, I mean.
catmitts is right - the best world is Mario worlds. There are a ton of crazy shit going on! Plus, I'd love to be able to throw on a frog suit and become an excellent swimmer instantly.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'm conflicted about this. Probably Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for story, Shadow of Colossus for innovation, and LittleBigPlanet for gameplay.
Dragon Age has a good setting in my opinion, I liked how fleshed out it got in Origins and how you could experience from multiple viewpoints. It let you really a get a feel of how that world worked.

So naturally, the Origins were scrapped and you were stuck one city for the whole of sequel. PROGRESS!
Planescape's a pretty good answer. Haven't played much of Torment, but from what I can see the creativity of the setting's enough to beat out five or six other bog-standard JRPG worlds. El Nido is beautiful too, although the music probably played an important role in establishing the mood.

Then there's The Way, of course. Best setting in an RPG Maker game ever, and one of the most interesting locations (metaphysical implications and all) in any video game I've ever played.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
i've always been a fan of Mystical Ninja's romanticised version of Japan. giant singing robots, vague self-racism at every turn... good stuff. i could get into that.

in general i've always had a thing for Ivalice from FFT. even the FFTA/2 version of it would be pretty cool to hang out in. the clan dynamic would be cool, even though i'm not crazy about spending large amounts of time with large groups of people. in that setting, i think i wouldn't do too badly with it.

someone else mentioned Tales of Symphonia. i'd dig on that in a big way too, as long as it didn't come with the voice actors.

also Celtland from N64 classic Quest 64.
I really liked the world of Baten Kaitos.

Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=tardis
someone else mentioned Tales of Symphonia. i'd dig on that in a big way too, as long as it didn't come with the voice actors.

There's just no pleasing you people.

author=tardis
also Celtland from N64 classic Quest 64.

But, after this, I forgive you.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=rabitZ
EDIT: I like the Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War and Fire Emblem 5: Thracia world too!

This!

Would like to live in Chalphy, or Miletos.
Warcraft's or Dragon Age's environments seem the most fitting for me. Rogue Galaxy's universe and Star Oceans 3's 4D world is also on my high list. Xenosaga's space also intrigues me (although the Gnosis threat would freak me out.)
FFXII has been mentioned already, but personally, I loved going into the menu and reading all the little articles about it. There were so many horrible ways to die and horrible things to become when you die in that world that I'm surprised they didn't make that the plot to begin with.

It was really different from what I was used to in other Final Fantasy games too.

I'm also going to have to say I liked the Ragnarok Online world too-- especially places like Glast Heim, the Biolab, that mechanical town where you can become a gunslinger, Juno, under the Yggdrasil tree... and even places like the floating islands around Geffen were charming.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I always wondered about those floating islands. It's was like, sudden. and I don't think they were in other parts of the game. I used to like to hang up there.
I'm not sure on which of these is my favorite, but I do like them all:
Kingdom Hearts 1 - not 2, and I guess it would be universe, huh?
Oblivion
Shadow of the Colossus - Haven't played Ico
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
final fantasy tactics => ivalice.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I'll definitely say Final Fantasy VIII because jesus christ the enviroments in that game were stunning. I have a lot of pics on my HDD of them and...wow.

But aside from that, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jak and Daxter as well. The world was quite broad, with lots of interesting places to go even in the original before the cyberpunk-esque Haven City came into play in Jak 2. Which is one of my favourite video game cities because of the massive diversity it has and the sheer fact you can explore the entire thing. Many games imply huge cities, but Haven City actually was huge. Plus, Haven's outskirts had incredible diversity too; from lush forest to swampy abandoned parts of the city due to Metal head attacks. And though it'd be kinda hellish to live there, I also love Haven City for its throwbacks to real life. People wanted a strong leader, but the man they got turned tyrannical and began oppressing the people, trying to squash all resistance with no thought to the people of the city. (One of Jak 2's early missions is to head out to the Pumping Station to turn the water to the slums back on, because Praxis has turned it off to kill the resistance members or get someone to blab. It just feels very real to me)
Plus they have FLYING CARS.
I'm also going to mention Crash Bandicoot's world because, man, that's incredible.
Before the crappy revival shit it went through, though :P