BATTLE VOICE HELP NEEDED (RM2K3)

Pages: 1
Okay, as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using voice clips in battle for my characters to shout things out during combat. Thanks to InfectionFiles, I now have a plethora of clips to work with. The problem I'm now faced with is coding.

Using the battle event editor, I can make them say something when using an item and attacking, and for more specific attacks I can just put the clip into their respective battle animations. What I really need, however, is a way to have one of them (and only one of them) say something upon victory ("We did it!") or defeat ("Is this the end?"). I've been tinkering with the battle event editor to see what I can come up with, but so far I've got nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hmm.. just off the top of my head. Have a battle event (not sure what trigger to use, there's multiple ways you could go about this)... And have it contain variable references set equal to the monsters HP. Then have a tonne of conditional branches checking that those monster HPs are 0. if all are then play the clip.

That's the workaround of doom way.

Alternatively just put the message onto a separate audio track for the victory music you're using (I could help you with that if you require help).

Edit: Then you could have a much-easier-to-implement event that changes the system BGM to a different version of the victory music + "we did it!" or whatever so that you can have a different character say it on different battles.
That's the trick, getting only one of them to say something, and then to make sure it's someone in the party. I'd love it to be random, so it's not the same character over and over.

Edit: This would be a lot simpler if you could make the victory conditions occur with in a battle.
Having the victory spoken message be part of the system victory music and having an event change the system BGM accordingly is actually a pretty straightforward solution imo.
Still not sure how I would code that, let alone edit victory music to include voice clips.

Edit: Here's something I've been trying.

I set a variable and called it monster1. I then set its value to increase by one when a monster's HP falls between 0% and 0% (the only way it will let me do this). Then I have another event that checks to see when the value has risen above the number of enemies in the party. When that happens, it calls a common event that I created that randomly selects a voice file of someone in the party.

The only problem is the stupid thing keeps playing the randomly selected voice file before the last enemy is dead! Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
It could probably be done with variables but it's going to give you hell if you have more than a couple of monsters. At least as far as I'd know how to make it work.

I have a couple questions:

1. Have you decided on your victory music and don't plan on changing it?
2. Are you using random encounters?

Victory music is in flux. I could use anything.

I'm not using random encounters. I've set up character sets to advance on the party, triggering combat when touched.
author=ubermax
Victory music is in flux. I could use anything.

I'm not using random encounters. I've set up character sets to advance on the party, triggering combat when touched.

In that case my proposed solution to use victory music with the voices in is even easier to implement (it could even be as simple as having a "Change system BGM -> Victory -> change to whatever character you want to speak when you win - that's the most basic and straightforward way of doing it.. You'd add the command just before the "Enemy Encounter" command in the event menu).. If/when you've decided on your victory music I can add the voices on top of the victory tune and make a copy for each character you have that'll speak when they win and/or show you how to do it.
I've actually tried something like this before, but without the victory music part. Victory conditions only proceed once the battle's over and you're back on the dungeon screen, so it would only change the battle music for the next battle, not the one you just won. And you may have changed party members by then.
Sorry I think you've totally missed my point :D you're not changing any conditions.. You're changing system music directly before each battle so that different character voices can be at the end of different battles.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's under "Change System BGM" and from there you can change to different music accordingly, in this case change "Battle End" to the victory theme with the character voices, which can be random to a point.

Also, I think you should set up a system of variables that are connected to party members or something like that so you can make the events easily change to support who's in the party and fit the voices.
It's something, once figured out of course, will take some planning to get right, since 1+ characters and character changes adds tons of different variables for you to watch out for.
Continuity is key!
NewBlack: Okay, I see what you're saying now. Yes, that sounds like it would work after all.

Files: I should be able to do it with just one variable, though. Below I've transcribed the common event I had set up to select the voice files when I was trying to do it from within the battle event editor. From what you're both saying, I could modify this to change the BGM victory music in the same way and still only need to use the one variable, like so:

<>Label: 1
<> Variable Operation: set, random 1-8 (this is the maximum number of characters in the game)
<> Branch if var is 1
<> Branch if Hero 1 in the party
<> Wait 1.0 sec
<> Play sound: Hero 1 victory
<>
:Else Handler
Jump to Label: 1

Basically, the variable randomly selects a number, 1 through 8, each hero attributed to a number. It runs through the code to see if the selected hero is in the party. If not, it goes back up to the beginning and tries again. It was kinda sorta working in the battle event editor, just that for some reason it played the voice file before the last enemy died. That means the common event worked, and it was just a problem with the battle event editor.

Let me know what you think.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Ah, okay, yeah it is much nicer to see the coding laid out to know how you have it.
That looks pretty good for what you want!
Perfect even, but you say that it plays the voice clip when their is ONLY one enemy left?
Strange...
Maybe it needs one enemy left on the field to trigger the event itself?
When I test played the battle, it would play the random voice clip when the last enemy was close to death, but not dead. I made sure the battle event editor was set to only increase the monster variable by one when a monster had 0% HP, and I made sure the common event was only called when the monster variable reached the same number as monsters in the party. It kept doing the same thing. I dunno...

But anyway, I'm warming up to NewBlack's suggestion. This will mean a lot of victory music files, one for each hero, and that kind of sucks, but oh well. I'll have to figure out what victory music I want now.
Don't use battle events.

You can use battle events for all the others. But to try and use them for victory is going to be a nightmare of nested variables (at least as far as I can see).

Make a common event set to call that looks like this:

<>Label: 1
<> Variable Operation: set, random 1-8
<> Branch if var is 1
<> Branch if Hero 1 in the party
<> Wait 1.0 sec
<> change system bgm - Victory - hero 1 victory
<>(You'll need to make repeats of this for each hero as I'm sure you're aware).
:Else Handler
Jump to Label: 1

NOW

On the touch-encounter enemy event... Have

<>Call common event - (the common event we just described)
<>Enemy Encounter - (whatever the fight is)

Voila. When you win the battle the character will speak. If you want help overdubbing the victory speeches over a piece victory music then as I said I can help you with that or point you in the right direction.

Honestly I think this is the best way to do it.

Edit: In regards to the issue of multiple victory musics.. most victory tunes aren't very long and even as mp3's they shouldn't be too large. It really depends on how long you want them.

If you wanna send me/link me to the 8 files and the victory music you want.. and lemme know how far into the music you want the speech (or want it before the music kicks in.. whatever.. Just tell me where you want them) then I can do that for you pretty quickly.. Or I can show you how to :)
Yep, that's about how I pictured it. Okay, sounds like I got myself a plan. I'm still going through the AMAZING amount of voice clips to decide who sounds like what. Once I have my full set and the victory music I want, I'll contact you for the how to on combining them. Thanks a ton!
author=ubermax
Yep, that's about how I pictured it. Okay, sounds like I got myself a plan. I'm still going through the AMAZING amount of voice clips to decide who sounds like what. Once I have my full set and the victory music I want, I'll contact you for the how to on combining them. Thanks a ton!

No worries! Just out of interest where is this huge repository of voice clips coming from? I don't have any intention of putting voice clips into any of my games right now... But It'd be interesting to know :P
If you scroll down a bit in the Help & Requests section, you'll see my earlier post called Voice Files Request. InfectionFiles was kind enough to point me to a vast library of both Japanese and English voice clips.
Pages: 1