BEST GAMES FOR PS2?

Pages: first 123 next last
Just wondering, what, in RMN's opinion (RMN means you) are the best games for PS2? I don't feel like getting a new console, so I might as well explore my options.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I really liked Star Wars Battlefront II for what it is, always had fun playing with friends in the Galactic Conquest modes.
Also, Star Wars army game? deal.

Resident Evil Outbreak and Outbreak File #2 were really awesome and well done, having a group system and all that jazz was so cool for RE, but it has looong wait times in between rooms, scenes, etc.

Might as well explore all of playstation 1 games too! if you hadn't already...
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Final Fantasy XII. It's a lot different than its predecessors, and that is a good thing. I really enjoyed the ensemble cast and all of the changes made to the standard Final Fantasy gameplay.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms X. This is my favorite game in the Rot3K series and I think it has a little something for everyone -- RPG elements, tactical battles, some city building, and some historical Chinese flare.

Suikoden V. I've actually never played this, but I love Suikoden 1/2 and I hear this one is better than the other Suikoden games for the PS2.

.. yeah, I don't know much about PS2 games. I got a hand-me-down PS2 from a friend that I really only wanted for Rot3KX.
God Hand

The ultimate face punching game. It's tough but fair. Think of it as the evolution of the 2D beat'em'up games but without multiplayer and oh so much better.
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Truly a superb game. Has charm up the wazoo. The gameplay is simple but incredibly addicting. I found the VAs wonderful and the world vibrant. Definitely one of the best DQ games and PS2 games overall.
The Ratchet and Clank series.

The second one (Going Commando) wasn't as good in my opinion, but the other three for the PS2 were all great with creative weapons and a sense of humor behind it.
author=rcholbert
Suikoden V. I've actually never played this, but I love Suikoden 1/2 and I hear this one is better than the other Suikoden games for the PS2.

Excuuuuse me? ...Well, I guess generally speaking that would be true. But I still like my Suikoden III more. I like them all thou' even IV. =P
_
Some non rpg series you should try out: Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Legacy of Kain, Tomb Raider, Onimusha, GTA... and SotC
author=GreatRedSpirit
God HandThe ultimate face punching game. It's tough but fair. Think of it as the evolution of the 2D beat'em'up games but without multiplayer and oh so much better.
best game ever right there

some of my other favorites:
Shadow Hearts 1&2
Suikoden 3&5 (i'm with alterego, i prefer the third one)
Raw Danger
Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga
FFX-2&12
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus
MGS2&3
PoP: Sands of Time
Rogue Galaxy
Xenosaga 3 (i like the first two as well, but objectively they're not very good)
DMC3
Bujingai
Shinobi
Onimusha 3&4
Silent Hill 2
Soul Reaver 2
BoF5: Dragon Quarter

that's what i've got off the top of my head
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
let's see, cream of the crop stuff...

Pretty awesome:
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
God of War II
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari Damacy
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II (if you didn't like the first, don't bother)
Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Phantom Brave
Tales of the Abyss
XenoSaga: Episode 3 (while not as satisfying to play without the first two, it does summarize the first two and contains a huge database you can read through about pretty much every damn thing in the series. And they don't just dump the whole thing in your lap, more entries are added as they become relevant.)

maybes:
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (fun, like a real time roguelike with an interesting system, but killed the franchise because it was so different)
Ring of Red (huge tactical battles may take a long time, but the individual battles with the tanks thundering over the countryside will make you not care. Your heart will pound as you wait precious seconds for your shot accuracy to slowly rise, hoping your enemy won't fire before you.)
Romancing Saga (Great game, some seem to be put off by the art style, but I loved it personally)
Okage: Shadow King (hasn't aged well, but pretty darn funny)
author=Hexatona
Okage: Shadow King (hasn't aged well, but pretty darn funny)
:)

i forgot the persona games in my own list, those are good too
Oh man, I love my PS2- gonna be hard to let it go when it dies =(

I would check out Champions of Norrath. (sp?) It's a 4 player co-op dungeon crawler ala Diablo or Baulder's Gate.

Make a character, smash some monsters, (and barrels) and get that +2 Rusty Sword!

Good times.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
God Hand is the only game you ever need.
If you're a fan of Japanese RPGs and don't mind significant difficulty, then you literally cannot go wrong with any game with the Shin Megami Tensei label on it. Persona 4 is probably your best bet, but if you want something a little stranger then go for Nocturne. Heard a lot of good things about Digital Devil Saga as well. Otherwise: Dragon Quest VIII is one of the most charming RPGs on the system, the Ratchet and Clank games are pretty fun platformers, and Okami is the most gorgeous Zelda game you will ever play. Also, Shadow of the Colossus is art. Enough said.

Also, a lot of people I respect have said that God Hand is one of the best games of the decade or something but I don't know too much about that. It does have a cool ending sequence, though.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=yamata no orochi
If you're a fan of Japanese RPGs and don't mind significant difficulty, then you literally cannot go wrong with any game with the Shin Megami Tensei label on it. Persona 4 is probably your best bet, but if you want something a little stranger then go for Nocturne. Heard a lot of good things about Digital Devil Saga as well. Otherwise: Dragon Quest VIII is one of the most charming RPGs on the system, the Ratchet and Clank games are pretty fun platformers, and Okami is the most gorgeous Zelda game you will ever play. Also, Shadow of the Colossus is art. Enough said.

Also, a lot of people I respect have said that God Hand is one of the best games of the decade or something but I don't know too much about that. It does have a cool ending sequence, though.

Nowadays P4 is notable only for its engrossing and charming writing and its painfully slow pacing. Nocturne and DDS blow it out of the water, the later especially.

E: really need to stress that writing
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Shadow of Colossus, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Metal Gear Solid 3, Onimusha 3, Way of the Samurai, Mark of Kri, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Ratchet and Clank series, Katamari Damacy, We <3 Katamari, Metal of Honor: Frontline, Ace Combat 4, Gran Turismo 3 or 4, Dark Cloud series, ICO, Grand Theft Auto III, Metal Gear Solid 2, the Final Fantasies maybe, R-Type Final, Jade Coccoon 2, oh god I fell asleep typing this on my phone, and woke up dreaming about cheese taste-testing.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Final Fantasy 12.
Always will be.
Nobody's brought it up yet, so I will!-- Yakuza 1, at least. I'm going to start playing Y2 pretty soon, but #1 was basically like a modern take on River City Ransom, only single-player and with a decent gangland story. From what I've seen, Y2 just continues the story while using the exact same engine and gameplay. There's also Y3 and even Y4 now on the PS3... I'm trying to play them all in order.

I couldn't get into DQ8 just like I couldn't get into 4 or 5 on the DS... I *really* wanna like those games, and they're certainly very pretty, but... eggh I just get so bored for some reason.

I haven't played the Ratchet & Clank games yet... they're kind of like the Sly Cooper games for me, just another great PS2 platformer that came out roughly the same time as Jak & Daxter. The first J&D, by the way, was a great little game. J&D 2 is pathetic- it's fun enough to finish, but it's probably the most egregious example I can think of for a video game's design by committee, as it inexplicably moves J&D to a GTA-style open-world city, has Jak whine like an emo git, gives him GUNS and CARS he can jack (yeah, GTA), and on and on..... Geez, that was just... terrible. Not sure how decent J&D 3 or the other Jak/Daxter games are.

--
Off-topic: I can't decide whose avatar I like more, Saya or Ark... It's a tie between Squall being too emo to like girls yet, and Kenshiro getting ready to rock somebody's face with the help of (what looks like) My Little Pony.
author=Mr. Y
I haven't played the Ratchet & Clank games yet... they're kind of like the Sly Cooper games for me, just another great PS2 platformer that came out roughly the same time as Jak & Daxter. The first J&D, by the way, was a great little game. J&D 2 is pathetic- it's fun enough to finish, but it's probably the most egregious example I can think of for a video game's design by committee, as it inexplicably moves J&D to a GTA-style open-world city, has Jak whine like an emo git, gives him GUNS and CARS he can jack (yeah, GTA), and on and on..... Geez, that was just... terrible. Not sure how decent J&D 3 or the other Jak/Daxter games are.

For the record, I have all three Jaks (I don't really count Jak X since it was a racing game) and have 1,2, and 4 of the Ratchet and Clank series (although I've borrowed and beaten the third one.) R&C Series is LEAGUES beyond the Jak series. It handles so much better (I mean, SO much better), the humor is more enjoyable, the guns are more creative, upgrades are way more noticeable.. you should definitely pick one up and give it a shot. Up Your Arsenal is probably the best one out of those four.
Going Commando is my favorite Ratchet and Clank game. I felt like it had the best balance between platforming and action. Basically, if they ever get serious about making a 3D Mega Man game, Ratchet is a good series to emulate.

Anyway, I think my favorite PS2 game is Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
Pages: first 123 next last