GO MAKE ME A SANDWICH: SEXUALITY IN BAYONETTA (AND OTHER GAMES)

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Interestingly I was considering writing an article about this very subject. Stay tuned! (maybe)
author=Neophyte
Bayonetta is cool because it's an honest character, which removes the cringing.

Miranda from Mass Effect isn't cool because the developers tried to create emotional ties and situations while always having the camera pointing at a very specific spot. The situation ends up becoming awkward.

she was ugly anyway. 8/

she had a big ol badonka donk though
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=Neophyte

Miranda from Mass Effect isn't cool because the developers tried to create emotional ties and situations while always having the camera pointing at a very specific spot. The situation ends up becoming awkward.

she was ugly anyway. 8/

For some reason, I laughed incredibly hard. I very much preferred Tali's hips, however. Dem hips!

Many video game sites have touched upon this in recent months. Is it as big a problem as they're making it out to be? In my honest opinion, it isn't, but clearly it touches some nerves. I really don't know what to say to those offended by it, because I myself am not bothered by it (female AND male physical depictions). If I wasn't bothered by Voldo or Astaroth's character designs in Soul Calibur IV, my threshold must be really high.
But damn it! We have to use jiggle physics for something don't we?
author=Thiamor
Most of the world is petty. You get many petty people, and a small bit of good, humble people who act out to help and to be truthful.

The world encourages pettiness. There is no audience for honesty and facts.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=Neophyte

she was ugly anyway. 8/

That is my new favorite term.

Edit: besides Sazhaholic.
Generally, I don't really have a problem with over-sexualized female characters, nor do I have a problem with over-sexualized male characters either.

Nevertheless, even though I have created sexualized female characters before, one of my goals is to create some that are not sexualized, realistic, and something that women won't cringe at. I am a fan of realistic creations.
I could have sworn this was a necro'd topic bump (because the title of this thread seems very very familiar).

Also, my stance on the issue is one of apathy. (excepting that we need more beefcake jRPG heros that look like they could actually lift the sword they're carrying).

Once the "political correctness" ball starts rolling though it is very hard to stop.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence

she was ugly anyway. 8/

I liked Miranda.

Anyway, overall this a really really complicated issue. I have some pretty strong feelings on it, and I really don't want to get into it. All I will say is that the extreme radical wing of modern feminism is hilariously, terrifyingly (hillarifyingly) wrong about certain things.

I am completely indifferent to Bayonetta, except to say I did not find the character attractive and I thought the hair thing was freaky. I haven't actually played the game.
We need Arnold to star in his own RPG

call it

hercules in new york

*edit*
If we're going Miranda talk it was the most unsettling thing in all of ME2
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Do you agree with GMMAS? Should we, as game developers, take note of gender and sexuality?

Looking at the quote in the OP, all I can think is BFD. Even if Kamiya was doing what she's alleging (which is a truly ridiculous word to use) then why should anyone care?
Do you agree with GMMAS? Should we, as game developers, take note of gender and sexuality?

We should, only insofar as how it affects the game we're trying to make and the audience we are marketing it to.

For example, Bayonetta was marketed to have an over-sexualized female lead. Kamiya's a sleaze ball, or his humor is completely lost in translation, but he understands that with idolizing the female that is confident in her sexuality, she must be given the power and respect to back it up. I haven't played the game, but it sounds like the main rivals are also female. I would care much more if she didn't have anything but complete dominance over any male character in the game. I still agree that the creator's intent should be factored into whether or not you decide she's empowering to women.

That being said, I think games with more serious stories and subject matter should exercise more care when introducing females that might be perceived as over-sexualized, and that's because in games, those characters are never developed enough to look into the aspects of their past that determines their insecurities or basis for sexual independence. It's almost never relevant in games. I can't think of one single game where a female's sexuality is addressed in any meaningful way whatsoever. In fact, I don't recall one single game where a woman's over-exposed figure or endowments are ever even MENTIONED by characters who are written to be completely blind to it, aside from one-off jokes (which the women are usually mad about/offended by) or the inevitable conversation between two female anime characters in hot springs where the smaller, mousier girl expresses her jealousy of the older bombshell's breast size.

It kinda makes a difference in how I'm willing to accept content. DoA is absurd, I'll never play it, thought it never attempts to hide what it's all about. Star Ocean 4 is a complete JOKE. Even FF7 isn't immune; the majority of the game is just fine, but very short sequences where Tifa demonstrates twisted laws of physics is totally laughable.

In short, I'm not bothered with it; very often men are objectified in similar ways, but the social standard is that men don't care whatsoever about being perceived as tools for female desires. But I won't take a game seriously that sexualizes its females just because it seems like they should.
Shrug... Bayonetta was an exceedingly fun game either way.
There was a vlog by the Game Overthinker about her and how she's a real woman and not an anime bimbo with the face of a girl and the body of a woman.

She actually reminds me of my friend who used to be a pro dominatrix to pay for school. Now she's a doctor of TCM. She even looks similar and will wear bodysuits under her scrubs.

She'll also go oneline and pick fights with other dominatrixes for being lazy and not having real jobs.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Sex sells, nothing too it.

But I hate huge boobs.

Oh and while we're on the subject could get some male characters that aren't scrawny wapanese girlymen with deep seated emotional problems or over-roided Duke Nukem rejects who sleep with a BFG under their pillow and can't stop bragging about that time he skullfucked Cthulhu before breakfast?

I'm just saying a little moderation would be nice now and then.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
What about that guy who dresses as a nun?
author=benos
What about that guy who dresses as a nun?

Ugh, Bridget.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
One example that I haven't followed too closely but seems to fit the bill at a glance. Is this very site's "The Long Goodbye". At some point in the game's development (most of the blog posts seem to have disappeared so I can't really confirm) a lot of people seemed upset at how... Well... "girly" it was (they probably didn't use that word but some weird anime-specific word that I can't remember).

I really don't think the game is girly at all. :\ It just has a homosexual relationship in it. I don't even remember why people were upset anymore, since I deleted it as I didn't want people to peruse through such dumdumhurr.
YDS
member of the bull moose party