GO MAKE ME A SANDWICH: SEXUALITY IN BAYONETTA (AND OTHER GAMES)

But that's the impression many of them are getting from the industry, and in the case of games like Halo, the players and the community itself. And whether or not you feel the impression is justified, the impression is there, and that's what counts. The atmosphere of community can have very powerful effects of driving people away from it.

like how can you not get this
author=FG
I get it, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. People aren't going to stop being dicks if you don't do anything about it. I guess that sitting back and whining about it on a forum is better than nothing, but it isn't exactly the best way to go about it. To be perfectly honest, the best advice I could give is this: If you like a game then fucking play it: It's that simple. No, really, it is. Christ. Stop being spineless gimps.

Basically you're saying that discussing issues you care about is wrong. Is basically what you're saying.
yeah, all i'm hearing is 'oh god why are we even discussing something that's controversial for a reason, just go out there and change it because it's soooo easy to do that.'
:|
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
What 3/4th of the people here are saying is : "the world is horribly sexist, but don't do anything about it"!, I can't beleive it, what kind of joke is this...............
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Oh, cause it isn't like the world has anything BETTER to worry about.
yes spreading awareness about things we enjoy and care about is wrong
chana
Actually not that much, and i'm not speaking unconsideringly, i know about hunger, i actually contribute monthly, but, beleive me, equality of treatment for women and men is, thoughout the world, a crucial question
(in answer to Thiamor)
author=Thiamor
Oh, cause it isn't like the world has anything BETTER to worry about.

sorry batman, i will get back to saving the rainforest.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Well I'm not talking about that (To Chana). I'm talking about people worrying so much about games, when the fact that it is happening in real life, right now, and yet you see people getting butthurt over a game, but I bet you don't see this same person going out of their way to notice it in other situations.

They didn't create a blog solely about real life abuse. Real life inequalities going on. No. You see this person deciding to cry over a game. This is why I hate people. Again, "It isn't like the world has anything better to worry about."
chana
I see what you mean, but the way women are treated in video games, like in films ads etc., is only a reflection of the way they're treated in real life, that's the problem! (don't hate people, its too easy.......................)
author=Thiamor
Well I'm not talking about that (To Chana). I'm talking about people worrying so much about games, when the fact that it is happening in real life, right now, and yet you see people getting butthurt over a game, but I bet you don't see this same person going out of their way to notice it in other situations.

They didn't create a blog solely about real life abuse. Real life inequalities going on. No. You see this person deciding to cry over a game. This is why I hate people. Again, "It isn't like the world has anything better to worry about."

This is retarded. This is a retarded, retarded post, because it's basically stating that being bothered and being vocal about things you enjoy that you wish were better is wrong and a waste of time.

Nobody's rioting about this, or killing anyone over it or threatening to call the police or the president or whatever. They're just going 'hey, I enjoy a certain thing but this is something I don't like about it. I'm going to say something about it and start a discussion and hopefully I'll find some like minded people who agree.

What you're saying is really dumb because it's completely ridiculous to expect a person to care about nothing less than shit like earthquakes or world peace or AIDS or whatever. People have concerns large and small, macro and micro, and you damn sure can't expect to tackle big issues if you don't have any patience for the small, more relevant ones in people's everyday lives.
I know I said I was done, but I needed to get something off my chest.

Women aren't the only ones being treated poorly in real life and in media. As a male, I'm constantly being told by my society (among others) that I'm guilty of being a vile pig with only sex in the brain and I must respect all women while not respecting myself as a male and my needs. "All men are pigs," after all. I see it all too often.

Misogyny exists in media, but so does misandry. Sexism is not only applied to women, but also men as well. Men are villified, seen as violent, perverse creatures. We are the aggressors, never the victim. While women fight against female portrayals in video games and in other media, men have grown complacent on this front. TV shows play off female-on-male violence for laughs, while the inverse is seen as appalling. Females are to empower themselves, but if men were to empower themselves, it would be seen as inherently anti-female. If males were sex objects, no one would object (not even men). If females are seen as sex objects, it's wrong.

Double standards exist, not only against women, but also against men. Women aren't the only ones with unrealistic character portrayals. Not every man is handsome, buff, MANLY, and disregards social mores just to do whatever the hell he wants without any social consequences. Men are just as shoehorned into gender roles as women are - we are to be violent, horny, aggressive, and apparently we all have an agenda to handicap women's rights.

This goes deeper than sexuality in video games and in media. This sits in wider gender studies and how skewed and uneven it is. Because video gaming culture is male dominated, women's issues take the forefront in garnering equality. However, video game culture itself is horribly stereotyped in a negative male portrayal, which unfortunately rings true some of the time. We need to look at the gender issues in context and in balance, not just as it may seem at first glance.
author=Crimson
Women aren't the only ones being treated poorly in real life and in media. As a male, I'm constantly being told by my society (among others) that I'm guilty of being a vile pig with only sex in the brain and I must respect all women while not respecting myself as a male and my needs. "All men are pigs," after all. I see it all too often.

Misogyny exists in media, but so does misandry. Sexism is not only applied to women, but also men as well. Men are villified, seen as violent, perverse creatures. We are the aggressors, never the victim. While women fight against female portrayals in video games and in other media, men have grown complacent on this front. TV shows play off female-on-male violence for laughs, while the inverse is seen as appalling. Females are to empower themselves, but if men were to empower themselves, it would be seen as inherently anti-female. If males were sex objects, no one would object (not even men). If females are seen as sex objects, it's wrong.

There is truth to what you say (yes, there is sort of a trend in the 'feminization of men' as a lot of men are being tricked into emasculating themselves because they're buying into the bull that masculinity and displays of masculinity is 'wrong'), but generally, get over yourself dude, we don't have it that bad. Women have endured being under the social boot of males for millenia. To assume that we have it as bad as them is nothing less than appalling.
only the bad guys in the media are violent, horny and aggressive. we aren't supposed to respect them, whereas we are supposed to respect these women who are shown off in a totally derogatory way. i mean, please, the lead character in a game is pretty much always a man and pretty much never depicted as violent and perverse.

author=Thiamor
loaaads of bs
don't mock us by insinuating we don't have a right to feel strongly about something just because there are worse things happening in the world. i wonder how much you would appreciate your opinion on something being trivialised to hell and back.
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=Crimson

There is truth to what you say (yes, there is sort of a trend in the 'feminization of men' as a lot of men are being tricked into emasculating themselves because they're buying into the bull that masculinity and displays of masculinity is 'wrong'), but generally, get over yourself dude, we don't have it that bad. Women have endured being under the social boot of males for millenia. To assume that we have it as bad as them is nothing less than appalling.

I'm not assuming we have it as bad as them. When did I say that? I know we don't. Believe me, I'm over myself. I don't fight this issue as much as many other men do. I'm simply stating it as I see it. I know we don't have it that bad. That was as exaggerated as many other issues (including this one) are. Overblown, yes. Invalid? No. Women have a right to complain about this issue and I'm not stopping it. It's a valid issue. I'm just not of the opinion that men are doing this intentionally is all.
author=Crimson
'm not assuming we have it as bad as them. When did I say that? Believe me, I'm over myself. I don't fight this issue as much as many other men do. I'm simply stating it as I see it. I know we don't have it that bad. That was as exaggerated as many other issues (including this one) are. Overblown, yes. Invalid? No. Women have a right to complain about this issue and I'm not stopping it. It's a valid issue. I'm just not of the opinion that men are doing this intentionally is all.

Fair enough, just testing the waters there. However no, I don't think men are doing it intentionally either (come on, they're video game designers. They don't have any deigns on usurping women's rights), however, they're doing it thoughtlessly, which isn't much better!