chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I thought it might be interesting to have people's view on avatars : is it a representation of the person, something or someone he or she likes, does it deliver a message? what is a "good" avatar according to each, how important one's avatar is for each one. Its actually one of the rare means of uncovering some side of ourselves on any site.
As for me, I swtiched to somethihg that represented sides of myself, to some one who's really important for me, to anonymity. There's also the aesthetic side of an avatar, well, how do You choose your avatar ?
It's generally just something I like. But yeah, some people's avatar choices are very telling. Although, not having an avatar at all makes it harder to remember who you are. :(
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
There is nothing cooler than Breath of Fire III Ryu in Final Fantasy 3/6 sprite style. Not even sliced bread.
People who switch their avatar too often annoy me. Anything more often than 6 months confuses me for a while, really. And I honestly can't remember why I chose this one. It's art form an incomplete project, the character being an asshole raven.
I just like to choose something that shows some imagination. I think it suits being a member of a creative community. Can't remember a time I used an avatar that had anything to do with rpgs or gaming though.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
I like women. (a lot)
chana
well, no (not posting).

too late!
author=chana
so up till now its something you like or made, but desn't tell anything about yourselves?

In this community. I don't know

In a lot of others it seems that avatars really show you who the trolls are.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Well my personality resembles three Japanese tourists next to a car on fire so
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
When I see someone with an "arrogant little shit" type avatar (sneering and the sort), I have a hard time taking what they say as anything worth reading, because unfortunately, that's most frequently true. No other avatar seems to give me any sort of impression like this, though I do appreciate unusual, artistic or inspiring graphics or animations.

Usually I go for avatars that focus around the account, such as a face graphic for any clear names. It has been far too long since I've had to worry about any other choices as I've used nothing but accounts like these in forums for years.
chana
I guess originality has a lot to do with a lot of them?
I change my avatar based on my current addiction :C
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
I can never find an avatar I like. I feel like having no avatar would suit me best sometimes.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
I really like to pick avatars that are weird or cool faces.

My most recent was

author=Corfaisus
When I see someone with an "arrogant little shit" type avatar (sneering and the sort), I have a hard time taking what they say as anything worth reading, because unfortunately, that's most frequently true.

I totally have an arrogant little shit avatar that is sneering at you right now. It's really amusing to think that by the same logic when the above was my avatar, everything I said might have come off as drunk out of my mind XD
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Serious post: I usually pick an avatar related to what I'm really into at the time, be it a band, game or TV show. Otherwise it's just something cool/hipster like my current one.

I've been watching Community a lot lately so I'm probably going for an avatar change soon. Stay tuned
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
http://rpgmaker.net/users/sixe/

this person has an amazing avatar
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
My avatars (before this current one) were all drawn by myself back in the day. I changed it pretty frequently, but they were all in the same style, so people didn't get confused (I hope). Not that I really post enough for people to recognize me by avatar anyway.

Here's to you, Living War Machine! Avatars change, but may you always haunt this thread.
I'm posting to see what my avatar is.

I'm also not a fan of changing avatars often. I think mine is a Chinese Telephone album cover. I like avatars that are distinct from other avatars. Usually the person's personality take over the avatar anyways, so it almost doesn't matter what it is.

Would rather people define themselves by what they say, not their avatar.
i like video games, so my avatar is usually of video games
author=psy_wombats
People who switch their avatar too often annoy me.

This. And

author=arcan
I can never find an avatar I like. I feel like having no avatar would suit me best sometimes.

I usually try to choose an avatar that represents myself and nothing else. So it´s usually me, something I made, or something I heavily edited.

I'm getting sick of my current one though.