VARIABLES - USEFULL OR NOT-SO-MUCH?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
WORDS WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS OFTEN REFER TO DIFFERENT THINGS. IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE THE CORRECT DISTINCTION TO INCREASE CLARITY WHEN COMMUNICATING.
I remember the time when I didn't know about variables and used switches only... what a complicated mess.
Asking whether or not variables are important to making games is like asking whether or not electricity is important for running a computer.

Although switches are technically variables, you might as well start wiring some abomination with vacuum tubes if you want to make a medium to large RPG with them.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Well obviously NEW people to rpg maker wouldn't know that.
author=geodude
since switches are also variables, variables are a necessity for every single game. this is not debatable

All I see here is a challenge to make a switchless game.
It wouldn't be hard, you can make duplicates of the map youre on and teleport whenever you want an event to change its behaviour. The game flow would have to be really linear though.
So it'd be like every other first project...
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Messing around with variables is one of my favorite parts of rpgmaker. Understanding them takes no more skill than middle school math. The only real thing you have to learn is how the program lets you use them.
author=Darken
It wouldn't be hard, you can make duplicates of the map youre on and teleport whenever you want an event to change its behaviour. The game flow would have to be really linear though.

I seem to remember a project waaaay back when that used items instead of switches and variables...

edit: It's called Julius Caesar and Mr. Y mentioned it here: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/88/
kitten2021
Returning from RMVX Death
OK, I'm making a small tester in a quick little game; can someone play it to see if I'm understanding these right? I should have it set and ready today...
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=geodude
since switches are also variables, variables are a necessity for every single game. this is not debatable

I strongly, strongly agree with this. Switches are actually just variables that can only hold the values 0 and 1.

that said, somehow TFT coasted through 6 years of using rpgmaker without ever adding a single variable to his projects
the scariest thing about variables is that we clearly place more stock in them than enterbrain does because they don't even fucking work with the default VX scripts
kitten2021
OK, I've played with the variables thing a lot; made a 20 minute game using nothing but those... Wow... I understand fully now why everyone says variables are better to be used.

Thanks for the information and tips guys, I don't think I fear Variables any more! :D

(BTW, I'll be posting my 20 minute game "A Variable World" here in a while, finalizing some stuff with it - ignore the title, it was meant as a joke, until I named the town that. lol)
I use variables a lot in dwt but some things people do with variables are really tough for me to understand. I'm just not mathematically minded. I'd say even basic knowledge about them is very useful.
I remember a long time ago when I made a game without knowing anything about variables and what they did... Ah...those were the good ol' days...

…until I found out about what variables DID do, and I'm glad I now know their divine purpose.

It's possible to make an alright game without them, but you should really use them if you want something better and more polished. Never hurts to try.
author=NewBlack
author=geodude

It's not a challenge, you just make variables 1 or 0.
author=WolfCoder
author=NewBlack
author=geodude
It's not a challenge, you just make variables 1 or 0.

Welp, I meant without variables either.
kitten2021
What are some other examples of what you could really use variables for, btw?
I understand they do some rather impressive calculating, but what would you really use these calculations for? I saw the game shown in the video, but I wasn't able to tell, was the weapon being created by variables? Or was it the monsters and/or damage?

Could they be used to, lets say, create battles on the world maps?
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Pretty much any advanced system requires variables (storage systems, custom menus, mini maps, anything using key processing, custom battle systems, anything that requires math, etc.)

Yes you would pretty much have to use variable for custom battles since you would need to store all the stats and do all the battle calculations. The menus themselves would also be mostly variables.
kitten2021
Its amazing that so many people can do this...
Variables sound then like their pretty much the back-bone of rpg makers.
Pages: first prev 123 next last