HAPPY 'AMERICA'…SOMETHING, INDEPENDENCE DAY...WHATEVER! :D

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=harmonic
Wait, you really didn't know why we call it Independence Day? Nice.

Shit, I coulda told you all about Canada's Independence process when my voice was still crackling from puberty, and the US even has a quasi-celebration of Mexico's quasi-Independence day on the 5th of May.

So much for insular dumbass Americans huh ;P

In fairness, I woulda been able to dictate several times more historical information at that time than I could today, since I would have just learned it =)
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=S. F. LaValle
In fairness, I woulda been able to dictate several times more historical information at that time than I could today, since I would have just learned it =)

Memory loss is a bitch eh
author=harmonic
Wait, you really didn't know why we call it Independence Day? Nice.

Shit, I coulda told you all about Canada's Independence process when my voice was still crackling from puberty, and the US even has a quasi-celebration of Mexico's quasi-Independence day on the 5th of May.

So much for insular dumbass Americans huh ;P

The funny thing about Cinco de Mayo is that a lot of Mexicans don't care about it. It's a bigger holiday in the US than in Mexico. Mexicans say it's just an excuse for Americans to get drunk.
author=Brent
So...does that mean we're going to have another Men In Black movie? :D

It's funny you ask that. Men in Black III is actually in the filming phase right now <_<;
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence

In before Wes. (NSFW I guess.)
harmonic
author=Space_Monkey
The funny thing about Cinco de Mayo is that a lot of Mexicans don't care about it. It's a bigger holiday in the US than in Mexico. Mexicans say it's just an excuse for Americans to get drunk.

Just about every cinco de mayo was a big deal in school during my youth, so it's just a small example of a degree of worldliness that fights American stereotypes. Yes obviously Cinco Dy Mayo is bigger here than in Mexico, but I usually take any opportunity to tease people from the former british commonwealth, but all in good fun. Spend enough time on the Escapist forums and that'll happen to you too.
So, today's the day (at least it still is in Hawai'i) that us East coasters beat the British. =D I dunno why anyone west of the Mississippi, or in Florida for that matter, celebrates this day. A lot of their families had nothing to do with it. >.> But yeah, a happy day! I think?
harmonic
author=tanakayuuji
So, today's the day (at least it still is in Hawai'i) that us East coasters beat the British. =D I dunno why anyone west of the Mississippi, or in Florida for that matter, celebrates this day. A lot of their families had nothing to do with it. >.> But yeah, a happy day! I think?

>:|

Yeah well, I am a very distant relative of Myles Standish. The hero of Plymouth Colony. So there~
author=harmonic
author=tanakayuuji
>:|

Yeah well, I am a very distant relative of Myles Standish. The hero of Plymouth Colony. So there~

Then you too, are a proud Easterner. =D So drop your R's and put on some Jazz. East Coast 4 lyf.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=tanakayuuji

Considering a lot of those same "east coasters" can trace their bloodlines back over the ocean...

Yeah, I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this.
Hey, it was the migrations from the East that made the west in the first place. =O And, I'm not trying to go anywhere with this? It's already here. =O

I mean, look at it, Germanic migrations west made England, English migrations west made America, American migrations west made California. Simple process, I s'pose.
Of course it has more detail, but basically, human history is the history of movement. In the west it's from the east and in the east it's from the west.
harmonic
author=Fallen-Griever
Britain's history is a lot more complex than that. The US's probably isn't, but I don't know enough US history to make that call. I just know it's been around for a lot, lot, lot shorter period of time.

Welp.

If you want to get technical, Great Britain, the political entity has only existed since 1707. Only 69 years before the existence of the USA as a political entity.

The geographical area that Britain occupied has indeed hosted civilizations for many millenia. They just weren't always called Great Britain or the United Kingdom.

The geographical area that the US currently occupies has been settled by humans for many millenia. They just weren't always called the USA. It was settled by Europeans when a group of colonists from ENGLAND aggressively settled native american lands.

These colonists didn't just appear out of no where with no knowledge of anything. They came from Europe. They had all the European technological, societal, and cultural advances. When the Revolutionary War was fought, it was fought between englishmen loyal to the king, and englishmen in favor of independence. The US's heritage, therefore, shares a long history with Europe.

Britannica
Nationalism is a modern movement. Throughout history people have been attached to their native soil, to the traditions of their parents, and to established territorial authorities; but it was not until the end of the 18th century that nationalism began to be a generally recognized sentiment molding public and private life and one of the great, if not the greatest, single determining factors of modern history. Because of its dynamic vitality and its all-pervading character, nationalism is often thought to be very old; sometimes it is mistakenly regarded as a permanent factor in political behaviour. Actually, the American and French revolutions may be regarded as its first powerful manifestations. After penetrating the new countries of Latin America it spread in the early 19th century to central Europe and from there, toward the middle of the century, to eastern and southeastern Europe. At the beginning of the 20th century nationalism flowered in the ancient lands of Asia and Africa. Thus the 19th century has been called the age of nationalism in Europe, while the 20th century has witnessed the rise and struggle of powerful national movements throughout Asia and Africa.

I found this tidbit interesting!
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Do not fret Canadians. One day you will be able to celebrate your independence day, when the Queen allows it.
Don't be sure of yourselves, yanks. She owns you and most of America too.
author=Dyhalto
Don't be sure of yourselves, yanks. She owns you and most of America too.

I can dig it. I think us East Coasters 'ave been too nice to the west, let's invite the Queen and Empire back. =D
Pages: first prev 123 next last