SPACE IN THE MAPS

Pages: first prev 12 last
That's a really useful guide you posted there. If it happens to be not in the article section of this site, post it there.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I was planning to do that sooner or later 'u')b
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Hope this helps!

Adding On

Alright, I’m going to start the adding on section. Also, I’ll be doing an interior design to houses and castles, as well as caves soon enough.

Shadowing and Fading

This is just one small add on that I want people to see. A lot of people have boring maps like this:

This makes me cry people. With only a few extra seconds of work, you can make it look a million times better. Let’s start with the most basic of add-ons, Shadowing and Fading. By adding a darker grass to places, you can make a shadow effect. By adding sand to the water there, you can add a water fading to land effect. See here:

However, you will easily notice a bit of a problem there. The fact that the shadows and fading don’t line up. This is where a key that not some many people know about comes in. It’s called THE SHIFT KEY. By holding down the shift key and placing the tile where you want it to be, the ground tile you selected will take up the whole square. Example:

OH NOES! They don’t fade in now. That, however, is a solvable problem. Simply by going back over the tiles next to the places where you want the tiles to fade in, you can create the fading effect that you want. Example:

Now, you’ve got a much nicer looking map. It’s not nearly as boring as it was, even though it’s still pretty boring. Now, we can add more to it.

Objects are the second layer of a map, and are very important. Simply be placing a few random objects on a map, you can make it looks loads better. Example:

As you can, the map is beginning to look a lot nicer. Now, what you’ve got to do is link the objects together somehow. By reshadowing, drawing paths, and refading, you can achieve this. Example:

By adding more and more objects and changing the map some to suit the object placement, your small area can begin to take a new shape, much like this:

However, if you’re like me, you’ll notice a few problems. First, because objects can’t overlap, there’s some spots that are missing things. Also, a few rules have been broken, like the squaring of land and the crowding of space. Some things will still have to be changed, but this is all we can do with just objects. Now we need… EVENTS!

Eventing is the most important part of all. By adding second layer events over objects, you can get the image of two objects. By adding birds and animals, you can give life to your maps. By adding people, you can purpose. Check out this fully changed and evented map.

As you should be able to see, the change from beginning to end was drastic. That’s all it really takes, and isn’t that hard to do at all.

Quoting this for people who don't look at first pages or something.
I started over here: http://rpgmaker.net/articles/502/
Hopefully I'll finish posting them soon
DE
*click to edit*
Erm... why is there a well next to the beach?
Exactly, there should be thought behind every tile placed. That doesn't mean everything HAS to have a purpose. You gotta balance form with function, which is what architects actually do when they think up a design. Like, behind every decoration, there's a reason for it, a detail of the world that it reveals.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Just think of the size of rooms in, say, your house (in proportion to yourself) and try to mirror that.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=DE
Erm... why is there a well next to the beach?

Well, if that's a saltwater ocean, then the well is stupid and will pull up undrinkable saltwater. If it's just a lake or pond, then the well is perfectly acceptable.

This would be a good point to bring up in the tutorial though! Don't just throw in every object in your tileset. If the placement of something is slightly unrealistic for the sake of making a more visually appealing area, then that's typically fine, but if the object is utterly senseless, you need to use a different object.
Am I the only one who thinks all RMVXP maps suffer from this problem?
I think so too - the limited tilesets are really problematic.
LockeZ
If you just mean maps that use the RTP tilesets, I can definitely buy that the tilesets have serious problems, but I don't think useless space is one of them. It's not really possible for that to be a tileset problem, is it? It strikes me as a problem that's pretty much independent of the tileset, editor, or any other tools. It's purely a matter of creating meaning in your positive and negative space, which can be done either poorly or well in any style of graphics from Nethack to FF13.
author=LockeZ
If you just mean maps that use the RTP tilesets, I can definitely buy that the tilesets have serious problems, but I don't think useless space is one of them. It's not really possible for that to be a tileset problem, is it? It strikes me as a problem that's pretty much independent of the tileset, editor, or any other tools. It's purely a matter of creating meaning in your positive and negative space, which can be done either poorly or well in any style of graphics from Nethack to FF13.

True that.

author=Yellow Magic
Just think of the size of rooms in, say, your house (in proportion to yourself) and try to mirror that.

Now that is an interesting way to think about it. I think I'll try that in the future and see how it looks.
Now, I'm gonna input my thoughts on it using an example I bet none of you have heard of, unless you go on Youtube and put random RPG maker words into the search engine(still don't know how that worked), Yume Nikki.
O.K., first to explain what this means. A japanese girl's neighbor kill himself and I heard jumped off a building to do it and I believe in depression she made this famous game named Yume Nikki, which in English, means dream diary. This game was translated into English, though there wasn't much to translate in the first place because this game has no text from anything. The purpose in the game is to find all 25 effects while (this is YOUR purpose, not an objective in the game) you try to find out why she's having all these dreams. You start out in a room where your character doesn't want to go outside. The rug has a whole bunch of aztec like stuff on it and there's a bed, tv, and your place to write in your diary(how can she live without food and water, I don't know), there's not much stuff to say is "too much space here", unless you agree with the food and water thing. You go outside to see how nice and wonderful it looks outside, and please note that later on there will be something different out here. Now you get into bed, you dream, you wake up, yaddiyadayada... And then you come to the end of the game, when you have all 25 effects, press 5 to drop them. They will turn into eggs. You wake up by pressing 9(and use the effects by first selecting it in the menu like dropping it, then press 1) and you go back outside, you will see a set of stairs there, OH NO! This is where you start wondering what's going on, that when you step on the stairs, Madotsuki...will jump to her doom...

This is the perfect example of space not being a problem because, if you believe there's a storyline, you know she must be pretty alone to not only sleep every single second of your life, but to kill yourself! So her mind must be going into a stage of depression as if it wasn't like that already. And all the weirdness going on in there adds to it. It's meant to not make sense, possibly how the girl who made this was thinking, "The world doesn't make sense to me anymore with everyone dieing without me!", or something like that, ending up that game. It was made on RPG maker 2003, spawned a fan-made sequel and a fan-game, Yume 2kki, and .flow . But all the time if you don't like walking, your gonna be hating this game becuase it doesn't tell you where to go, and you can get lost easily. But I love it. And like I said it's the perfect example of how space in maps can be good.
Pages: first prev 12 last