NO-STAR REVIEWS: I DID, AND YOU CAN TOO!

Pages: first 1234 next last
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS

So, I want you to look at this list.

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/8900/

That's a long list, ya?

So, the basic idea here is you find a game, with no-stars, and give it a review, then post about it here for some discussion, high-fives, and to be a bad-ass.

Yeah, there could be some terrible games in there, but then you can post about how hilariously awful it was, or make a let's play of it or something with which to mock the author. But just think! Somewhere out there, in no-star land, is a hidden gem, just waiting for someone to give it a review!

So, I'd like to start this No-Star, ongoing Review-athon with...

PHANTASY STAR III2K - http://rpgmaker.net/games/95/

Man, this game is so ancient, it got approved with no images!?

Well, I'm going to get started, and I hope you will too.

Let's all work together to destroy... NO-STAR LAND.

THE ATTACKS SO FAR!

Suicide Club 3
Garden
Relic
Final Fantasy XIII-2k3
Super Mario RPG: The Seven Sages
PHANTASY STAR III2k
author=hexatona
Yeah, there could be some terrible games in there, but then you can post about how hilariously awful it was, or make a let's play of it or something with which to mock the author.

i would like to see the end of this attitude... it's not how we should lay down criticism.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Yes, please do review games seriously - save any humorous opinions for this thread.
My game has a download and No-Stars :(
Could somebody review it, to take one off the list?
http://rpgmaker.net/games/3264/

As for me, I'm going to look for a game on here and review the heck outta it :)
Alright, I'm getting my hitlist for this weekend down:
Borefest 2: The Boringest - If I'm not bored, I'm walking away unhappy.
Return to Awz - Short VN in 2k3. Sounds like my thing.
Suicide Club 3 - 4-hour VN. Sure.

They're all pretty short, so I should me able to make dent in the forces of No Star Land.
author=Twidge

It's not a completed game though. There are 161 games on the site that have been sitting completed without much notice. If you're looking more for feedback on how to improve for future versions, consider finding beta testers, not reviewers.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
That Relic game might be interesting. It's been a while since I've done a proper review, too. It's not my style to do rated reviews for demos, but that doesn't mean I won't have things to say about it.

And isn't giving quality feedback all that really matters?

*Edit: Though, psy_wombats has a point, doesn't he? Well, I'm still mostly willing to do it, if the author is still up for it.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Actually, what i did to pick a game was go into the games thing, and narrowed it down by completed, then sorted the games by number of downloads, then went through the list until i found one with no stars.

I figure, if it's got 3000 downloads, it should probably have a review by now.
author=psy_wombats
author=Twidge
It's not a completed game though. There are 161 games on the site that have been sitting completed without much notice. If you're looking more for feedback on how to improve for future versions, consider finding beta testers, not reviewers.

Kinda this. I've started to play the game but depending on the play length, a simple post in the game profile could be more appropriate than a review.
Marrend
I've seen reviews for demos on this site before. Rated ones too. I don't see what the huge problem is, but maybe it's just me talking?
author=Marrend
I've seen reviews for demos on this site before. Rated ones too. I don't see what the huge problem is, but maybe it's just me talking?

It's not a huge problem, it's just my philosophy. If I'm specifically looking for something to review, I'm going to pick finished games 9 times out of 10.

For me, a review is an overview of the game, not a list of stuff that needs fixing. If I play a demo, I'll happily leave giant bulleted lists of things that could use attention. If that content was posted as a review, it'd be silly. Let's say there's a buggy demo up for a game so I go and review it. It plays horribly because of the bugs, so I post a review that says "1.5 stars. Buggy as hell. Fix these!" So the game gets cleaned up, completed, and... Now it looks like the complete version is 1.5 stars. Not to mention that other reviewers won't show as much interest in it (as it's already been reviewed) and I won't get the chance to give it the real review it deserved.
Hmm.. Well ,you do have valid points there. Relic is just a demo right now, and I would like a review of the game as a whole..

But hey, I still wouldn't mind one for the demo :) It's the full first chapter of the game, so I guess it sets the mood. So, I'd say full games are first priority, but I'd still be happy if somebody would review the first chapter of Relic :)
Problem with this "let's review something!" movements is that maybe the people who made the games don't even come here anymore, they won't even know if their game is reviewed.

Unlike some people who're always around but have unreviewed games. *wink wink*

That doesn't invalidate the review, of course, but there are ways to prioritize. :D
I was going to review some of these anyways, so hell yeah I'll participate.
author=calunio
Problem with this "let's review something!" movements is that maybe the people who made the games don't even come here anymore, they won't even know if their game is reviewed.

Unlike some people who're always around but have unreviewed games. *wink wink*

That doesn't invalidate the review, of course, but there are ways to prioritize. :D

Reviews are for the players just as much as they are for the developer, if not entirely so.
This is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought...
Marrend
author=Twidge
But hey, I still wouldn't mind one for the demo :) It's the full first chapter of the game, so I guess it sets the mood. So, I'd say full games are first priority, but I'd still be happy if somebody would review the first chapter of Relic :)

Well, maybe not a rated review (doing rated reviews for demos isn't my style), but I'm still up for playing the game to it's most complete point. Or, if I turn out not liking it for whatever reason(s), the "point of frustration". Whichever comes first. Fair enough?
author=Marrend
Well, maybe not a rated review (doing rated reviews for demos isn't my style), but I'm still up for playing the game to it's most complete point. Or, if I turn out not liking it for whatever reason(s), the "point of frustration". Whichever comes first. Fair enough?

Sure thing :D While I would prefer a star rating, if it's not your style to do it for demos, or you just don't wanna do it, that's totally fine, I honestly don't mind :)
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
The trouble with reviewing RPGs is that they're quite long!

I'd feel bad giving a review to a game that i didn't finish (unless finishing it was intolerable)
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Hexatona
The trouble with reviewing RPGs is that they're quite long!
!!!! so how do you intend to "destroy... NO-STAR LAND" ? (it is the problem!)
Pages: first 1234 next last