HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH YOUR VARIOUS IDEAS

Pages: 1
So right now I'm setting up for a project.

I listen to music to inspire myself. It create images in my head and I use those images to describe scenes or character designs.
I also go through digital painting websites to get inspired by the creations there.
And I also brainstorm endlessly in my bed with a pen and a sheet of paper writing down every idea I can come up with.

Then I reach the point where I can link several ideas together and come up with the core of a story to work on. But now I end up with several different cores I could create games from. One day I feel like A is the best one, the next day I feel like B is the right one to work on, and so on. I really enjoy every single of those game cores and I think they'd all make great games.

But right now I'm stuck to the point where I need to flesh out those basic ideas and I can't decide over which one to start.

So my question is: how do you deal with your various ideas ? How do you decide which project/idea you're going to work on next ?

Thanks in advance.
Just do it. Its like when you talk about something so much that the talking about it makes you feel like its already done so you never do it. So just do it. Stop research and inspiration and just do it :-)
author=ShortStar
Just do it. Its like when you talk about something so much that the talking about it makes you feel like its already done so you never do it. So just do it. Stop research and inspiration and just do it :-)

I like your attitude ShortStar.
Thanks. That's probably why I get stuff done.

But there have been studies about how people that talk about things feel good and feel like the job is done. Where as people that don't talk about things feel like the job ISN'T DONE and actually get it done.

Like people that vent their problems. Venting about their problems makes them ok with their problems instead of doing something about it.

That's also why ideas can't be patented. Inspiration is 1% of a job.
I know I have to get it starting ! But I want to be well prepared before and I don't mean 6 month of preparation. But a well written GDD, the main story thought of and a good idea of the characters and their motives.

My real concern is I can't chose which of my stories I want to focus on and move forward.

My father, wise as always, told me after I explained him the situation about dropped projects and such "Just take the least ambitious". That make sense.
So with the story...
Start with a bulletpoint outline. That way if you think of something better or want to add details just change the bullet points. Then when you're VERY happy with that outline they you start writing the dialog and scenes.

So since you have multiple stories, bulletpoint all 4 stories lets say. Post all 4. People will tell you which sounds best or one will just feel the best and go with that one :-)

However... if you're a first timer, start with a small story. Like 1 quest, 1 town 1 cave. Then take in all the feedback and go with a real project after taking in feedback.
No matter how cool your ideas are, what it really comes down to is the execution which is what you should practice. Don't be afraid of making mistakes.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I tend to work on two things at once. See, after a while of working on the same thing, I often get bored or frustrated with it, and want to do something else. If I have a second project, I'll work on that. If I don't have a second project, I'll play video games instead, which is fun but obviously far less productive.

It helps if they're different types of things though. For me, right now, one is an RPG Maker game and the other is a text-based online game. An SNES game hack, a flash game, or even a tabletop campaign that you're GMing would also be a good side project. If both your projects are RPG Maker games, I find they need to be pretty different for this to work. Like one being a medieval sandbox RPG and the other being a plot-heavy JRPG with a wasteland setting. If they're too similar, switching gears to the other project won't alleviate the boredom or frustration.

This also helps alleviate the common feeling by novices of wanting to put all your cool ideas into your first game, regardless of how fitting they are. You lose that sense of "this is my only game."
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I have a lot of trouble with interest/enthusiasm cycles and peaks/valleys of intereest in different ideas. It makes it very difficult to finish things.

How do I deal with it? It's complicated. I am feeling really really drained right now, so I'll take some time before I try to get into it.

Someone let me know before then if that's not what this topic is about.
Here's what I usually do, and it still doesn't work. You see, for an imaginitive kid, I like to borrow ideas and see how I can make them work, other times an idea just pops into my mind, or even a fan game idea, or even an idea from an abandoned game! But if I don't have a pen/pencil and paper around me, and I have more than one idea, I run into this situation, it's a problem I like to consider a "syndrome":Two-or-more-ideas-at-a-time syndrome. It's, as the name says, when you have 2 ideas in your head going on at once and there's a very small chance you get to even finish one, or you run out of ideas on one so you have to choose the other. I have that "syndrome" if you could call it that because there are tons of times that happened to me, but I still at least tried to finish 1. I know your not wanting to have to games at the same time, but if you ever run into a situation like that again, then do what you think is good if you want to finish it. Don't end up like me with 2 games at the same time!
It seems like with most of my ideas, I usually will try and write down anything that comes to mind and just stick them with the rest of the pile. Since most of my game ideas come through dreams, now, more than anything, I usually just write down whatever images I can conjure up from memory and try and twist them into something…more appropriate. But for now, even though I would rather work on whatever seems to be the more popular thing with me, I have to remind myself that I have "3" projects being worked on, as of right now, so I should come back to these other ideas when I have the chance / time.

But yeah, I usually just stick them in one big “Notepad” folder and wait for when the time is right. :D
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
I will usually try something out, see if it fits in, and release the build to the community to see what they think of it. I take their input and my feelings on the idea into consideration and come to a decision on what to do with it.

Repeat.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
"My father, wise as always, told me after I explained him the situation about dropped projects and such "Just take the least ambitious". That make sense."
It does!
Usually when I have some ideas in mind regarding the project, I try to put them on paper, so you can check them again, changing some things and go, and improving some other things...
One of the things that also helps me is listening to music, it always helps xD
How 'bout taking the Nike approach?

Another classic method to general game design approach.
I just want to make sure... my question was how do you deal with multiple ideas/projects tempting you. How do you chose which one you'll work on if you like all your ideas as much ?
Just focus on the one you probably will have the best chance in completing or the one that catches your mind the most, as of right now. You can always come back to the other projects later; but if your currently working on something as of right now, finish that first before doing something else. Yeah, I'm like you in a way that I would love to work on a dozen other game ideas that just hit me these past few weeks, but I also know I can't just drop the projects I've worked on so hard to just abandon them for what is currently the most hottest in my mind right now. Just do the one you wanna do, and you'll be fine. :D
I work on whatever I feel most, er, inspired for at the moment. I'm focusing on one specific project right now, but I'm not letting that stop me from planning for other projects. So while I may be officially working on one project, I've got project folders for about 5 other games, and a document holding ideas too small to actually work as a game.

This hasn't really slowed down progress on my current project, which is kind of surprising! I haven't done much for my other ideas besides planning and testing out if some desired features are possible. Planning takes nothing but a document and some time out of your life, and while this is time I could be devoting to my current project, I like to get the most out of that "inspired" mood whenever it strikes me. And sometimes I feel inspired about things other than my current project! Edit: And when I don't feel inspired about anything at all, I pop in some Castlevania OSTs and resign myself to tedious database work for my current project. Or anything else really tedious that must be done at some point.

Besides all of that, it keeps me from getting burnt out on said main project. A little break every now and then is good! And sometimes tinkering around with other ideas gives me ideas for my main project, so... In a roundabout way sometimes it's like I'm working on my main project even when I'm not.

Yup.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Another solution is : eenie meenie miny mo (the spelling is strictly phonetic!), catch a tiger by the toe, etc. !
I think what works varies from individual to individual. In my case, I've found that the best approach is to stick to ideas I've like for a long time. It has turned out to be a bad strategy to go with ideas I've gotten recently. There's always the chance that I'll like an idea I like right now much less in a few months. However, the longer I've already liked a particular idea, the less probable it is that I'll stop liking it within a near future.

Also, cutting ideas which seem to ambitions or outside my skill helps as well.
Pages: 1