THIS HAS PROBABLY BEEN ASKED A THOUSAND TIMES BUT...

Pages: 1
Hey everyone, new to the community, new to rpgmaker, long time programmer.

I've been working on a game for a while now. I've put together a rough version of the battle engine, lvl engine and all that good stuff. Character, fiend and plot development have been going great, but I have one huge problem.

I don't know what to make the game in. I've tried c++ and directx but figured the process was too overwhelming and I've read good things about RPG Maker so I figured I would ask this community for some help.

I'm sure a lot of people are working on similar projects, but I want to make a game in the style of the SNES Final Fantasy games. By that I mean battle animations, ATB, FMV sequences and similar graphics.

My question is what would be better for this, VX or XP? I've read good and bad things about both, but I feel like VX sprites work a little better for what I'm doing, but XP's programming engine is better.

Any help is appreciated as I hope to buy RPG Maker as soon as possible to get started on the next step of my game.
Also, can you make stand alone games in RPG Maker, or do you need RPG maker to play the games?
If you've never used an RPG Maker program before, I recommend VX. I wouldn't let graphics decide which Maker you go with, as one can use VX graphics in XP, or XP graphics in VX, or pretty much any graphical style they can put into the proper formats. XP has a more robust mapping system, while by default VX is limited to 5 sheets of tileset graphics per project. There are ways to get around this, either by using this, or making maps using VX's parallax background feature.

Both XP and VX use the Ruby scripting language, but with minor differences; VX's RGSS2 has some changes from XP's RGSS1. There aren't very many areas where you can say one is flat-out better than the other, because scripting often provides a way to work around these limitations.

As for your last question, you can make stand alone games in RPG Maker, but if you use anything from that Maker's RTP, you either need to include it in the game's graphics folders, or make sure that the people downloading your game have VX's RTP. Edit: And Marrend clarifies this better!

This article might also be helpful, as you mentioned being new to the community~!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Full-motion videos? I've not seen the like in any RPG Maker game, ever. I've not played as many as others, though, so I'm no expert. As for a side-battle/ATB script, I'm not really at liberty to say which engine (meaning VX versus XP) has a "better" script, but I've seen (mostly "in action" not "in code") such scripts for VX.

It's possible to make games stand-alone, even if you use nothing but the resources that came with the run-time package (RTP). I may be going over your head by saying this, as you might not have the engine in front of you, but with VX, there's a "Compress Game Data" option under the "File" menu. One of the options is "Include RTP Data". If that's checked, the game can be played on a computer that doesn't have the VX RTP.

*Edit: Since you're new, welcome to RMN! Share your creativity with us!
author=tpasmall
Also, can you make stand alone games in RPG Maker, or do you need RPG maker to play the games?

You can make them standalone with very little effort. It's just by default the players will need the RTP (graphics/sounds that come with the engine). Forget what steps you have to do exactly but it's possible.

As for the VX vs XP thing, there was a really good article on the pros and cons between the makers. Too bad the author is a big poo poo head and decided to take his site down for unknown reasons.

edit: wow im slow

I really appreciate the feedback, so thank you all!

I was worried about the tilesets in VX but knowing there is a way around it, pushes me more towards VX.

As for FMV sequences, that may be the wrong term for what I'm talking about. I guess I meant more of a cutscene. It's pretty crucial to my game so before I buy RPG Maker I want to be sure that I can do it.
cutscenes where characters stand around and talk to each other? yeah you can make those in any maker.
Yeah, well more than just stand around, kinda like the intro to FFVI.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Like how the characters move while talking? I know it's possible to move a character before or after a display of a text box in XP or VX, but during the display of a textbox? If it is possible, it's done via a script.
Pages: 1