IDEA FOR AN EVENT OF SORTS.

Pages: 1
I've been thinking about this for a while, so I decided to quickly check in with the community to see if people would be down for it.

Basically, I want to do something similar to Ludum Dare here on RMN. The basic concept is the exact same, everybody gets two days to make a short game based on a theme selected by the participants. I didn't want to make it a contest of any kind, just something that would be done for fun.

I don't know if theres anything already on the go like this, although I realize that this is like a crossover between a "3-Hour" and a "Release Something! Day".
Something like this:

http://rpgmaker.net/events/weekend_gamemaking_binge_q1/

It's not a bad idea, though I usually prefer longer events over shorter ones. And RMN's bigger event (at least in terms of duration) is currently running.
Yeah, pretty much like that. Although I was thinking on a bi-monthly basis or something. I don't think I'd want it to have an event page, since it isn't a contest. It would be strictly kept on the forums.

To be honest, I'd be happy with just more 3 hours if it came down to it. I just like the idea of small game making events like that.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1882/ was basically a 24 hour fun thing. Literally 24 hours game making time (so you could do 2 hours working on it everyday if you wanted to) but I'm not sure how people feel about that method. Makes it feel like there are two deadlines (the 24 hours, and the month you have to turn it in by).

I'd be incredibly interested in it if the focus was on creating something new or trying out things you cannot afford to do in main projects.
Well, I had hoped to encourage myself and anyone else who wanted to follow along to try out Game maker (I've never used it!), and then, once we were done this course I had found, I had hoped to hold a game making event that would result in a game like Action 52
author=Darken
I'd be incredibly interested in it if the focus was on creating something new or trying out things you cannot afford to do in main projects.

That's a really good idea, actually. I wouldn't force people out of their comfort zone, but I could definitely encourage people to try new things, and I could make the theme centered around something unusual.
Since we're here anyway, I'll pitch another idea.

Another 24-hour (flexible kind like A52) making contest around christmas where everybody picks a theme, drops it in the "hat", and everybody draws one. Secret santa, basically.
Well, if you want to host something like that then be my guest. I was thinking of starting this maybe next weekend, or sometime in September, and just seeing how things go from there.
You should definitely wait until the current contest is over.
Pages: 1