ABILITY TO DELETE OWN POSTS?

Pages: 1
Just wondering if this has ever been considered?

We're pretty much all adults here, so I figure we can probably moderate our own posts. The main reason I'm asking is because I accidentally posted twice and I so badly wanted to delete the second post but was unable to.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from UPRC
We're pretty much all adults here

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm sorry, sorry, hold on, I-

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Oh man, that's rich.

Anyway, while it would be nice to be able to delete such posts, I believe that system would be far too easily abused. I'd rather see something that prevents a person from posting again too quickly, like a fifteen second buffer or something. That would help prevent accidental double-posts.
That would work too. Maybe even the ability to report our own posts.
I could get behind some kind of timer. Like you could be able to delete your own posts within five minutes or so of making them. (in fact, I wouldn't mind if editing followed the same "rule") That way you could delete posts made by mistake but not delete posts a week after a heated discussion making everyone wonder what the hell really happened.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Regarding the idea of deleting your own posts: Just no. I've seen this implemented in a couple of places and it was always problematic: Discussions would possibly get cut up due to missing posts; if the post that started a topic was deleted, the entire topic would get canned.

Granted, the problems stemmed from immature/irresponsible members, but the problems exist nonetheless.

I support the idea of a timer to reduce the likelihood of double-posts, though. Maybe something like 1~3 minutes between posts?

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
"Regarding the idea of deleting your own posts: Just no", agree, i'm sure it would bring heaps of trouble.
You can't actually delete posts, but you can abuse the edit button. For example, lets say I said something about someones mum in the next line. Just edit it like so.

DELETED
author=KingArthur
I support the idea of a timer to reduce the likelihood of double-posts, though. Maybe something like 1~3 minutes between posts?

Impossible, unless it was like a 15 second timer, as people like myself can reply to a post near instantly at rapid fire pace.

The idea of letting people deleting their own posts is a bad idea. What is done is done.
author=facesforce
author=KingArthur

Impossible, unless it was like a 15 second timer, as people like myself can reply to a post near instantly at rapid fire pace.

The idea of letting people deleting their own posts is a bad idea. What is done is done.

It took you over 3 hours to reply to this post.
@soniX : My freelancer job is keeping me busy today. I am on call right now, trying to make a sell of about three blades. I mean on the nights I am free and am patrolling the net, where I have a bad habit of instantly refreshing the forums for updates. Besides that, some conversations do go pretty fast and a timer would slow that down immensely.

I still oppose this proposed feature to delete posts.
halibabica
I think 15 seconds is the ideal length of time for such a thing. It's juuuuuust long enough without being unbearably long.

I also like the idea of being unable to edit a post after a certain period of time, but I'd like to see an exception made for OPs if that were implemented. In threads like Review Just One Game, being able to update the OP with new stuff is helpful.

Yes, I am aware I've neglected that thread just like I neglect RMN in general. I'll fix it up someday.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
You can't actually delete posts, but you can abuse the edit button.

The difference is that deleting leaves no traces, while editting does leave a trace that something was changed for better or worse (usually better). For that reason, editting of posts aren't a problem like you make it out to be.

Let's not go beyond the original scope of this topic too much, though. Able to delete own posts, yay or nay? I say nay for my reasons above, and it appears others also share much of the same sentiments.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I agree that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I'm even iffy about mods like myself deleting double posts in a noncontroversial thread due to previous experiences. I'll chat it up with my comrades later on.
If I could delete my post I would delete all my game presentation topics because you guys did not post enough ;-)

Well, I don't really see what exactly is the main argument against the ability to delete own posts. I mean you can even delete your own gam pags and downloads which are way more worthy than posts.
halibabica
Downloads and game pages aren't part of on-going public discussions. Well, okay, maybe game pages fall in that territory a little, but posts are still fundamentally different. When you post, you put something out there for the forum to read, and responses are made to it. If you take away that piece, the rest of the discussion may not make sense. And chances are, if you're deleting your own post, it's because you regretted posting it in the first place. Deleting it makes you look bad.

Those don't sound like good things, but they're a big part of learning how to function in an electronic social environment. I know that sounds like bullshit, but that's what the case is. What are you gonna learn if you can just delete everything you shouldn't have said?
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=halibabica
Those don't sound like good things, but they're a big part of learning how to function in an electronic social environment. I know that sounds like bullshit, but that's what the case is. What are you gonna learn if you can just delete everything you shouldn't have said?

Quite right.
Nothing gets deleted.

If you post something embarrassing we'll just assume you were drunk and pretend it never happened.
...I actually post drunk a lot, believe it or not. XD Well, that's life.
Pages: 1