INTERNET BLACKLISTING, SAVE THE INTERNET!

Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
The RMN blackout was pretty pointless, this is barely a well-known site so probably nobody noticed this besides the guys who sometimes visit this place.
Many congresspersons have games on RMN. They just don't want you to know about it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=tpasmall
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/Crazy, 2 days ago it was like 59 for and 21 against.

Justice prevails? Holy shit. Sweet. My faith in government is momentarily renewed (until tomorrow when something else pisses me off).

I am honestly pretty surprised that the "blackout" worked. I didn't think it would get people to care who didn't already care. But apparently what it did do was get all the people who already cared to send letters and emails to congress on the same day.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Well, like mentioned on the other topic, Barack Obama isn't really fond of the idea and support for SOPA/PIPA seems to be crumbling anyway right now.

Also, I read this in wikipedia:
An aide to Rep. Smith said, "This bill does not make it a felony for a person to post a video on YouTube of their children singing to a copyrighted song. The bill specifically targets websites dedicated to illegal or infringing activity. Sites that host user content—like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter—have nothing to be concerned about under this legislation."

Well, it better apply to RMN as well.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
For SOPA it was understood but for PIPA too, that's great. For now.
I'm starting to wonder if this is a clever distraction while something more nefarious is in the works.

author=Methera
The bills have been stopped. For now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16655272

Yay! We won!..............For now, of course.

And is your portrait....RTP Lightning?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Nightowl
Well, like mentioned on the other topic, Barack Obama isn't really fond of the idea and support for SOPA/PIPA seems to be crumbling anyway right now.
Chances are, Obama will sign SOPA/PIPA into law while having "serious reservations" about the bill like he did with NDAA after he had said he would veto it. Like Dyhalto said, I wouldn't trust that guy to give me directions to the toilet.

Nightowl
Also, I read this in wikipedia:
An aide to Rep. Smith said, "This bill does not make it a felony for a person to post a video on YouTube of their children singing to a copyrighted song. The bill specifically targets websites dedicated to illegal or infringing activity. Sites that host user content—like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter—have nothing to be concerned about under this legislation."
Unfortunately, we probably wouldn't be here up in arms about SOPA/PIPA if that held true.

Dyhalto
I'm starting to wonder if this is a clever distraction while something more nefarious is in the works.
Probably just waiting for several months until the heat's off and the people have forgotten, then they'll try to silently re-introduce and rush it past Congress again with even more lobbying money and morality bait attached. (屮゜Д゜)屮

EDIT: Misquoted that little quote.
Sadly for them, in the wake of MegaUpload, it'll take longer than a few months to forget. There are people out there keeping their eyes on them, just in case.
author=kentona
Many congresspersons have games on RMN. They just don't want you to know about it.
joke or not... the best answers comes always from kentona.

Thank you community, I will be swiming in ignorance and cursing SOPA if I haven't checked this topic... stll cursing them but at least I really know what is happening (well I think most part of it, you can never see the complete panorama due that the everyone always hide something...)

everybody lies
*Sigh* Obama signed the NDAA bill only after it got amended. He never said he was going to veto it just because. (Besides. Yes, he's a politician, they say lots of things. But the bill got amended and that's what counts) Likewise, SOPA is currently on the 'shelves' because is also being amended. Again. They already took out the DNS blocking stuff, didn't they? That's gotta count for something...

So, you see? Nobody is trying to rush anything past you. Nobody is getting the bill signed into law and then putting all the nasty stuff back again. (Fack! Is that even possible!!? And if it is, why haven't they done it already?) They're only trying to work towards a compromise. And the fact that you're so unwilling to see that speaks lots of your own vested interests. ...I also think that we must remain critical of the government, but the level of distrust that you're displaying here is bordering on 'conspiracy theory' territory.

I reiterate that I'm not in support of SOPA simply because I don't know if it is the best way to get things done. But at least I feel I can give its supporters the benefit of the doubt; they aren't posting bullshit online, unlike its detractors. The sense of entitlement and disregard for others, displayed by the average angry-about-SOPA individual is way more tangible (And hence, disgusting.) than the ones the Government and 'Hollywood' supposedly have... "Fuck you, and your industry. Tell me what you do so I can pirate it!"

Which brings me to my last point. If "we" are here up in arms is because "we" want to defend our God-given right to keep streaming anime online under the guise of fighting for our FREEDOM OF SPEECH! You only have to browse through the comments about SOPA in you favorite site to realize this much. Worse thing is, that those who are against the bill do nothing to educate the masses about the law. They'd rather use people's misguidance to keep pushing their goal. "omg SOPA makes drawing fanart a felony!"

The whole thing is effin' embarrassing if you ask me...
author=alterego
*Sigh* Obama signed the NDAA bill only after it got amended.

What was amended? The whole furor was over the indefinite detention sections, and they're still there.
If anything was changed, it wasn't what anybody cared about.

Nobody is arguing over a right to pirate shit. Yeah, there are lots of people who haven't completely thought it through, but they're just accumulative pawns led by the people who originally raised the awareness.
The topic at hand is government's role on the internet. The web has gotten along just fine with little-to-no government oversight, and it even poses as a useful tool when people need to organise against said governments (see Egypt). What we had here was a bill giving the Feds tremendous censoring power over the internet, originally motivated by monopolist special interest groups acting on behalf of last century's business models. If you want to make a case for Intellectual Property Rights, take that shit elsewhere. SOPA has nothing to do with it.
"Critical of government" or "distrust"? That's irrelevant. Government is a reflection of the people; nothing more and nothing less. Intelligent, informed people will hold their government in careful check. Stupid, selfish people are as good as sheep. I "distrust" government because I know people are stupid, selfish, and unwilling to make sacrifices to protect their interests. I know for a fact that the special interests are in tight control, and so I "distrust" the government.
Your holier-than-thou diatribe falls on deaf ears.
KingArthur
alterego
*Sigh* Obama signed the NDAA bill only after it got amended. He never said he was going to veto it just because. (Besides. Yes, he's a politician, they say lots of things. But the bill got amended and that's what counts) Likewise, SOPA is currently on the 'shelves' because is also being amended. Again. They already took out the DNS blocking stuff, didn't they? That's gotta count for something...
It won't break the internet infrastructure with the DNS provisions cut out, but there is still a case to be made with infringement of freedom of speech and expression.

I'd also like to note that the offending provisions of NDAA were not amended out before signing by President Obama, which was done with "serious reservations" to quote his offical press release.

alterego
So, you see? Nobody is trying to rush anything past you. Nobody is getting the bill signed into law and then putting all the nasty stuff back again. (Fack! Is that even possible!!? And if it is, why haven't they done it already?) They're only trying to work towards a compromise. And the fact that you're so unwilling to see that speaks lots of your own vested interests.
If there is to be a compromise on this issue, the current SOPA/PIPA bills need to get trashed and the discussion started anew with proper input from everyone that will be affected by the new laws. As it stands, the House Judiciary Committee's hearings on SOPA have been dominated by SOPA/PIPA supportive input from the media industry alone with active rejection of representatives from other interest groups, and let's not get started on the fact that the House Judiciary Committee's chairman (who decides who gets to speak at the hearings) is also the sponsor of SOPA and naturally biased to refuse opposition input.

alterego
...I also think that we must remain critical of the government, but the level of distrust that you're displaying here is bordering on 'conspiracy theory' territory.
It's not so over-the-top when you realize that Congress's approving opinion of SOPA/PIPA runs 180-degrees counter to the consensus opinion of the American people who absolutely reject SOPA/PIPA. Yes, we must always be critical of our government, but we wouldn't be so quick to not trust them if there wasn't such an obvious (and countlessly repeated) show of indifference by the US government to the words of the ordinary citizens they supposedly represent.

To be fair, the American people are at fault for electing such officials and representatives in the first place, but that doesn't excuse the US government of what it's been doing lately.

alterego
I reiterate that I'm not in support of SOPA simply because I don't know if it is the best way to get things done. But at least I feel I can give its supporters the benefit of the doubt; they aren't posting bullshit online, unlike its detractors. The sense of entitlement and disregard for others, displayed by the average angry-about-SOPA individual is way more tangible (And hence, disgusting.) than the ones the Government and 'Hollywood' supposedly have... "Fuck you, and your industry. Tell me what you do so I can pirate it!"
The supporters go beyond "not posting shit online" by actively not letting the general public even know of the bills' existance. Media coverage of SOPA/PIPA has been extremely low key by any standard of news coverage, especially on a key piece of legislation such as this (though the internet blackout partially alleviated this). Why is this? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but to me this all stinks of nothing but an attempt by Congress and SOPA/PIPA supporters to try and rush-pass the bills before too many people realize what's been going on.

alterego
Which brings me to my last point. If "we" are here up in arms is because "we" want to defend our God-given right to keep streaming anime online under the guise of fighting for our FREEDOM OF SPEECH! You only have to browse through the comments about SOPA in you favorite site to realize this much. Worse thing is, that those who are against the bill do nothing to educate the masses about the law. They'd rather use people's misguidance to keep pushing their goal. "omg SOPA makes drawing fanart a felony!"
The problem with this paragraph is because it does make something as mundane as "drawing fanart" a potential felony.

Forget safe harbors like DMCA and the Fair Use clause. Unlike DMCA, SOPA/PIPA would first and foremost make the website accountable for its content (eliminating DMCA's safe harbor provisions), which will lead to an excessive level of voluntary crackdown by websites that would in domino-like effect stifle creativity and innovation from the people at large. This is further spurred on by the provision that it takes nothing more but an unproven accusation by a copyright holder for a website to be systematically taken down. Free speech, sharing of knowledge, creativity, and innovation will be held down by a constant fear that something you do will buy the ire of a copyright holder and result in your being judged a criminal and a felon, regardless of whether those accusations are actually legitimate.

To sum it up, we aren't up in arms about SOPA/PIPA because we won't get to download the next latest version of RPG Maker, we are up in arms because SOPA/PIPA infringes upon basic human rights while doing nothing to solve the actual problem of internet piracy. There's a reason groups like Google, Wikimedia, and Mozilla are protesting the bills alongside the likes of Reddit and even 4chan.

alterego
The whole thing is effin' embarrassing if you ask me...
I agree, why the hell are bills like this even considered for discussion in a country whose founding principles were freedom and liberty?

EDIT: Very minor grammar fix.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
"a country whose founding principles were freedom and liberty?"
I'm afraid those ideals are not up to date since quite a long time. As is France, "haven of refuge"; there is a time when you have to realize that those ideals are gone and and belong to the past(which doesn't mean they can never come back).
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/20/opinion/smith-sopa-support/index.html
Lamar Smith (the guy supporting the SOPA/PIPA bills) wrote this.

author=Nightowl
The RMN blackout was pretty pointless, this is barely a well-known site so probably nobody noticed this besides the guys who sometimes visit this place.
I visit this site all the time, but I saw no blackout (I was really busy on the 18th).

P.S. My bullshit meter broke (referring to the link in the first line of this post); can someone buy me a new one?
KingArthur
Rep. Lamar Smith
A great deal of misinformation about the bill has been spread around the Internet. This information does a disservice to consumers, and it is being disseminated by those who have profited from working with illegal websites that steal and sell America's intellectual property.
I pretty much stopped reading there.

Even admitting the presence of grey-area groups like 4chan and clearly illegal groups such as Anonymous in the ranks of SOPA/PIPA opponents, calling organizations like Google, WikipediaWikimedia, Mozilla, Creative Commons, and the Free Software Foundation as partners to stealing and selling intellectual property isn't misinformation? Does he even realize he included people like Rep. Zoe Lofgren and Rep. Darrell Issa by antagonizing all of the SOPA/PIPA opponents like that?

Seriously, the hypocrisy of that article is nigh infinite.
@Dyhalto: You distrust because that's what you do, not because you're better than anyone. Remember all that stuff you believed (believe?) about "Obamacare" that LucidStillness debunked so easily? Incidentally, the same stuff that originally made me bail from this thread to avoid you going all "This mail says so" on me? Well... If you think this issue isn't about online piracy, but instead only an excuse to silence people and round them up into concentration camps, then that's fine. Just don't send your paranoia on my direction, I've got deaf ears for it too.

@KingArthur: I think there's still lots of compromise to be made. Like all that stuff about immunity to service providers for taking voluntary action? That's just just asking for trouble... But to completely do away with the bill and start over? I'm not sure how that will fare any differently. Specially when the "consensus opinion of the American people who absolutely reject SOPA/PIPA" is already so stigmatized. They won't accept anything as long as it messes with their precious Internets. No matter what it includes, no matter how it is worded.

Also, drawing fanart has always been considered an infringement of Copyright laws. All that SOPA does is changing is the sentencing guidelines for that kind of stuff. (If I'm reading the bill correctly) But the point is that no kid as been sent to jail for it before, and no kid will be sent to jail for it after -if- SOPA passes... And where do you get that SOPA does away with "Fair Use"? Where's the language on the bill that implies that? I think this fear comes from the fact that 'Fair use' is already vague enough on it's own and people ignore that.

And yes, there's a reason why all those groups are against SOPA. I'd say it's mostly money and/or fear of a backslash. GoDaddy much?