INTERNET BLACKLISTING, SAVE THE INTERNET!

KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I'm not sure of the extent of the block, whether it's just engine/browser stuff that can be circumvented if you already know about the site, or if it's a straight-up Chinese style firewall.

It's the Great Firewall of China redux, or in other words DNS manipulation to systematically block access to specific websites and imposing mandatory censorship on search engines.

The part about screwing with DNS is one of the major reasons why most (if not all) of the IT guys are complaining about SOPA/Protect IP. As for that tidbit about mandatory censorship? It's quite clearly an infringement of the 1st Amendment but no one seems to care.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Dyhalto
Also, if this act passes as is, RMN is immediately blockable. Look at all the copyrighted material in the games hosted here :D

I'm good under my material's current license conditions :p

This is still retarded though
author=TehGuy
author=Dyhalto
Also, if this act passes as is, RMN is immediately blockable. Look at all the copyrighted material in the games hosted here :D
I'm good under my material's current license conditions :p

This is still retarded though

Except that the entire site would be blacklisted, not just specific game profiles. So if JUST ONE submission violated copyright and was called on it, it'd be enough.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
If that bill passes, I say we dump the game profiles and start from scratch.
No more RM2k games, no fan gams, no ripped graphics or music.

Edit: everyone download Cosplay Crisis quick!!!
author=Dudesoft

If the bill passes, we will all have to

*gasp*

Get real jobs!

In all seriousness, i have a feeling that the USA will instantly die.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Uhh, would this affect every website in the world or just U.S ones?
KingArthur
author=Nightowl
Uhh, would this affect every website in the world or just U.S ones?

Every website, since DNS transcends such trivialities like national borders. It's another problem with the bill, actually: What right does the USA have to impose its demands on websites hosted outside its borders?
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Indeed. In fact, I think other countries would make it a huge issue if only one country decides which website will be nuked and which not.
If the bill ever comes into effect, idea of Internet2 would sound very nice idea.
KingArthur
Just an update that there was a markup hearing on SOPA today by the House Judiciary Committee, which is continuing the hearing tomorrow at 10am EST because today's hearing ended up lasting so long.

So far, any amendments trying to keep stuff like DNSSEC, Tor, and sites based around user-generated content legal and/or feasible have all been rejected by an overwhelming majority or withdrawn. Not a good sign by any measure. I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow?
They also said something ridiculous that with SOPA it would stop foreigners stealing jobs '_')
Ronove
More like Misao Stealing Prince
'_') I would like to know the justification for that. How would it stop foreigners from stealing our jobs?
Well, they got indefinite detention of US citizens without trial into law. Congress' corruption is public and undeniable now. Still, the people do nothing.
Wouldn't surprise me if it passes.
God, I hate governments. I mean, sure, they're a great idea but the reality... It's like that fangame you think about making all the time - "It's great! It'll stay true to the ideals and precepts of the original series! There's so much I can add and improve!" - and when you actually start to put it together it just doesn't work - "Oh God! Kill it with FIYAH!".

We shall create a new internet! And no fucking politicians allowed!
author=Dyhalto
Well, they got indefinite detention of US citizens without trial into law. Congress' corruption is public and undeniable now. Still, the people do nothing. Wouldn't surprise me if it passes.

It wouldn't surprise me either if it does... most people won't do anything until they get all of their shit taken away, then you'll see them paying attention, taking part or even marching on the streets...

I got some more clips about SOPA, from a political commentator perspective:

'SOPA 2.0 Still Wish-list for big Hollywood'

SOPA Watered Down, Still Censorship
SOPA/PIPA Authors Become Lobbyists

And that's it so far... there's more coverage onThe Alyona Show about this.
KingArthur
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111216/11102617108/sopa-markup-runs-out-time-likely-delayed-until-2012.shtml

Apparently, the House Judiciary Committee didn't have enough time to come to a conclusion even after two days of markup hearings. Subsequent hearings are expected to come either next week or some time in late January next year.

Incidentally, I've read there was a total of about 60 or so amendments in total filed for deliberation in the markup hearing, of which about 20 or so have been deliberated and rejected so far with overwhelming majority (some of them being the amendments for stuff like DNSSEC and Tor I mentioned earlier).
If it keeps getting pushed further into the election year, we might see it get turfed. This bill is threatening a lot of people's bread and circuses.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Ronove
'_') I would like to know the justification for that. How would it stop foreigners from stealing our jobs?

who knows? I can agree that piracy can put some people out of a job, but as far as foreigners and outsourcing goes, it's just cheaper labor over there..
(you really want that job? move to China or somethin..)

author=Dudesoft
No more RM2k games, no fan gams, no ripped graphics or music.

Edit: everyone download Cosplay Crisis quick!!!
well, one could just create a torrent for it..
frankly this bill would really only smash out the web pages, but really the downloads could still be going 'round
KingArthur
well, one could just create a torrent for it..

That's assuming SOPA, once it passes, doesn't go after BT trackers and clients left and right on suspicions of copyright infringement facilitation.

-------

An interesting news article, courtesy of Kaiterra:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/megaupload-v-universal/?utm_source=rss1.0&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

It's not directly related to SOPA, but it's still an interesting piece of news. Hoping MegaUpload wins that one, assuming what they said is true.
Enjoy your SOPA preview!