INTERNET BLACKLISTING, SAVE THE INTERNET!

^ Century old business model trying to compete in a new age system. Whip & Buggy manufacturers fighting the automobile. Scribing houses fighting the printing press. Dinosaurs fighting the meteor.

edit : Starting a new page yet again...
Just this time the dinosaurs have billions of dollars and are giving millions to objects in space whose gravitational field can affect the trajectory of the meteor and also giving high paying jobs to those who wrote the Save Dinosaurs bill to help push it through!

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/11/congressional-staffers-behind.html
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Are things looking better or did I get it all wrong?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I heard today's (Wednesday's) vote was postponed, we'll probably see new developments when Congress gets back from its holiday break.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
This, my dear friends, is why i support anarchy.
author=ldida1
Which in turn, my dear friend, is supporting death.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Idida1

Yeah, I'm assuming this was just a joke. If not...no, it has to be.
author=Dudesoft
Ghost in the Shell...

2nded
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
If this crap is going to be nothing but a DNS block then it should be easy to bypass.
Start memorizing websites' IPs, boiis.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Nightowl
If this crap is going to be nothing but a DNS block then it should be easy to bypass.
Start memorizing websites' IPs, boiis.
SOPA also systematically criminalizes any and all tools and systems that can be used to circumvent blocking and or censoring mandated by the bill. So yeah, besides memorizing IPs there aren't many options.

Now that I think about it, I guess this also makes Windows illegal since its HOSTS file can be used to completely circumvent DNS blocking.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
In that case just download DeSopa just in case. I dunno if the whole DNS crap will affect Finland though but better safe than sorry.

http://freelabs.info/UrlToIpOnline.aspx
I hope this one won't be noticed.
chana
there are already a few sofwares ready and downloadable to bypass it, one made by mozilla firefox, as far as I could tell.
Sign of what's to come: USA pressures Spain into passing their own SOPA. Google & Co. need to do that blackout to really drop support for this shit.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/spain/120105/spain-sopa-law-passes-after-pressure-us-ambassador-alan-so
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
SOPA owns Cnet, and other download sites, lol.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Sign of what's to come: USA pressures Spain into passing their own SOPA. Google & Co. need to do that blackout to really drop support for this shit.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/spain/120105/spain-sopa-law-passes-after-pressure-us-ambassador-alan-so

The Sinde Law was passed on Jan 3, after the new government led by Mariano Rajoy came to power, and gives a government body the power to force internet service providers to block sites found guilty of hosting pirated material within 10 days, according to the BBC. Under the law, a newly created intellectual property commission will decide what action to take against a site deemed to be violating internet copyright laws, passing the case on to a judge who decides whether the site will be shut down.

...this at least puts the power to shut down the site in the hands of a judge! But yikes!
It's partly in Finland now!
http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/01/pirate_bay_block_comes_into_force_in_finland_3160454.html

(alright probably not as heavy as sopa but still not a very nice precedent)
Well..at least they will allow a judge to decide. I hope this place isn't blocked, I love it here!
chana
author=GreatRedSpirit
Google & Co. need to do that blackout to really drop support for this shit.

Actually, the way I see it, Google & Co stand to gain from this type of legislation. With them having a huge competitive advantage in terms of cash flow and name recognition, this helps to entrench them as a dominant force on the internet.
Maybe it's proof and maybe it's not, but a day-long blackout is a near-meaningless protest. If Google & co were committed to the fight against SOPA, they could easily match whatever bribes the RIAA/MPAA are making and pose a sizeable argument that "we, the internet giants, are the future. Not those dinosaurs". But no. They choose to go the way of a dopey blackout.

Anyway, the real reason for all the anti-internet legislation is to quell political dissidence in the coming years. In our modern era, like-minded activists meet and greet using social media. It's bad enough that people are talking about the mere possibility of government being corrupt and ineffective, but God help them if people actually start to organise and mount effective strategic resistance like boycotts, bank runs, or tax protests.