ARE CLASSIC RPGS STILL A VIABLE OPTION ?

Pages: first prev 123 last
author=Solitayre
author=iishenron
I've asked on IRC before why, since the tools have gotten so much better, I don't see a bunch of Western RPGs being made with RPG Maker.
Be the change you want to see.

I'm not really interested in making such a game. I've just been curious why I don't see them.
author=iishenron
author=Solitayre
author=iishenron
I've asked on IRC before why, since the tools have gotten so much better, I don't see a bunch of Western RPGs being made with RPG Maker.
Be the change you want to see.
I'm not really interested in making such a game. I've just been curious why I don't see them.

I think most of the people who use RPG Maker grew up with SNES and PSX RPGs. And even though RPG Maker -can- make an RPG with more Western principles, it is much more suited for and designed for creating jRPGs.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That's true. It doesn't have any sort of built-in character creation interface for players, you have to do a lot of work to randomize any part of maps (even treasure chests), it doesn't have a quest system built in, and so forth. There are a lot of complex, rarer systems in JRPGs that RPG Maker doesn't support without heavy scripting, but there are a lot of basic, ultra-common systems in WRPGs that RPG Maker doesn't support without heavy scripting.

Now, if you take scripts that other users have already created into account, then yeah it has many of those tools. But while scripts for WRPGs have made up for the deficiency in basic, ultra-common systems, scripts for JPRGs have made up for the deficiency in complex, rarer systems. So JRPGs still come out ahead in terms of tools available.
author=Max McGee
I think what is a classic RPG is in the eyes of the beholder.

To me, THIS is a classic RPG, and those games you mentioned are a relatively modern and bizarre Japanese perversion of it.

Agreed.

In my opinion, classic style RPGs are definitely viable. I play classic RPGs all the time. The thing is though, in my opinion, they need something a little more Whether that be gameplay, characters, story, whatever. Something to grab the player's attention. I actually just beat Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Great game, but when you get right down to it, it's exactly what the titles says: An RPG. However there were quirks in the gameplay that made it memorable for me. Fun.

I have no problem with a lot of text in games, as long as the text is important Useless babble means nothing to me, and gets boring quickly. AS long as the text moves the plot forward, or pushes character development, I'm fine with it (Well, at least if it's well written).
Pages: first prev 123 last