A CIVIL GARDEN PARTY ~ 2K3 DISCUSSION

author=Max McGee
News Flash, Craze is kind of a dick.

Is this really surprising people at this point? He's openly admitted it on numerous occasions.

Yeah I've gathered that as of late. I don't see the appeal in willingly being an unlikeable sort of person though, but oh well.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Feldschlacht IV
Also none of that spiteful 'here this program is awesome let me show you this is why you shouldn't use RM2K3' laced passive aggressive shit either.

It's not laced or passive-aggressive, it is exactly what I am saying.

UPRC
Man Craze, weren't you a pretty cool guy back in the day at GW? How in the heck did "Cool Craze" get replaced by "Stick-Up-Bum Fanatical VX Craze" and why is he a MEANIE FACE?

I AM a pretty cool guy. Here's the thing: here at RMN, I was a cool guy, helping people out, making mediocre games, etc. Then, I became a symbol for THE NEW GENERATION by biting the bullet and fully adopting VX; certain, influential parts of RMN decided that I was an "enemy," somehow (read: #shump). This culture of ATTACK CRAZE continued on, even though I've always thought Ciel was cool, used to get along famously with TFT, like Magi's Balmung Cycle etc. Essentially: all the cool kids were attacking Craze because I had a different viewpoint ("games should have solid gameplay; Rudras graphics aren't everything"). It didn't help that several of those folks were staff members.

Even after that group left en masse, the ATTACK CRAZE continued to this point. How is a person supposed to react to this? I have a lot of personal interest in RMN as a website, and I would absolutely love to see RMN become a successful, popular indie game development website. This has always been my goal. But, well, literal years of constant abuse and unwarranted attacks gnaw at a person.

I am now a supervillain.

My villainous goal? To see RMN become a successful, popular indie game development website with a high bar for RM* project quality (in all areas - graphics, gameplay, functionality, etc.) and the expectation that honest feedback and criticisms will be shared and taken well.

Am I a vicious bitch? I can be. Kick the dog every day and it grows bitter.

My villainous apologies for being a product of my environment, and wanting to continue on to change that environment. People seeing me as "MEANIE HEAD" is just a sign that I have lots and lots of work to do.

UPRC
but they've just put so much time into their 2003 projects already (read: a few years)

VX has been out for four years, and XP longer. That is hardly an excuse anymore.
craze when you fight monsters sometimes... you become the monster...

or should i call you... legion...
You and Max could use each others' shoulder right this minute.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
if it helps I still love you craze

I can only suggest that people stop trying to defend using 2k3. It's pretty pointless here. Just *gasp* ignore all this talk and do what you wanna do.

Trying to get Craze to accept us using 2k3 is no different than Craze trying to push you to use VX.
craze is the new atheist to rmn's christianity

(if you're wondering, he's the bad guy)
author=Craze
VX has been out for four years, and XP longer. That is hardly an excuse anymore.

I started my project in 2004 sometime.
author=UPRC
author=Craze
I started my project in 2004 sometime.

It's been longer than that.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Craze, for what it's worth, you are the reason I joined this website a year and a half ago. Your game design topics and games and obsession with gameplay (and ability to logically defend your points) touched my sterile, venomous heart.

When you're here we get topics like Stats are for Sissies: Alternatives to Traditional Growth Mechanics. When you're gone for the summer we get topics like Houses with Not Much In vs. Locked Houses. It was like a drought.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I just don't see the point in topics like these, because as Mog said you aren't going to change peoples' opinions that easily with words. I know you like playing Christopher Hitchens (that comparison really comes naturally these days), but if people weren't cowardly and stubborn on the whole we wouldn't have 99.9% of the problems facing the planet today.

...Bit overdramatic but you get the idea
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It's actually really easy to change people's opinions with words, if those words convey information that the person was not previously aware of, or draw known information together logically to explain conclusions that had not previously been considered.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Probably depends on the subject. But if someone's been settled into a routine or belief for years, it'd be pretty damn difficult to get them to change it, irrespective of logic. Human nature, I guess.
author=Yellow Magic
I just don't see the point in topics like these, because as Mog said you aren't going to change peoples' opinions that easily with words. I know you like playing Christopher Hitchens (that comparison really comes naturally these days), but if people weren't cowardly and stubborn on the whole we wouldn't have 99.9% of the problems facing the planet today.

...Bit overdramatic but you get the idea

yeah it did occur to me how excellent a comparison that was. good work
author=LockeZ
It's actually really easy to change people's opinions with words, if those words convey information that the person was not previously aware of, or draw known information together logically to explain conclusions that had not previously been considered.

It's actually not though, because actions speak louder than words in the real world.
Well, there was a person who said he (she?) was thinking about Ace after reading this topic. Doesn't that mean that it wasn't "pointless" or "useless"?

Also, the problem is that you cannot prove any point with action, in this case.
You can make a very good game in RMVXP that couldn't be done in RM2K3, they'll say "yes but it doesn't count".
You can make a very good game in RM2K3, they'll say "if you did it in RMVXP it would be better".

Also,
author=Craze
I AM a pretty cool guy. Here's the thing: here at RMN, I was a cool guy, helping people out, making mediocre games, etc. Then, I became a symbol for THE NEW GENERATION by biting the bullet and fully adopting VX; certain, influential parts of RMN decided that I was an "enemy," somehow (read: #shump). This culture of ATTACK CRAZE continued on, even though I've always thought Ciel was cool, used to get along famously with TFT, like Magi's Balmung Cycle etc. Essentially: all the cool kids were attacking Craze because I had a different viewpoint ("games should have solid gameplay; Rudras graphics aren't everything"). It didn't help that several of those folks were staff members.
Come on, now you want to become a "sob backstory" supervillain? :/
LockeZ
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=LockeZ
It's actually not though, because actions speak louder than words in the real world.

You've never heard "the pen is mightier than the sword"?

(In truth it depends on the personality of the person you're talking to/writing to/stabbing.)
author=LockeZ
...then why do people still not wear seatbelts?

Changing a mass of people's behaviour is hard.

Sometimes the biggest agent of change is the mortality of human beings. (Old behaviours literally die out).

(...does this mean that I should leave, since I am a dinosaur in the RM scene?)
you know where to find your fellow dinos now...
After making a small project on VX, I found out that using VX DOES take some learning and getting used to, even for experient rm2k/3 users. So I'm sticking with 2k3 out of laziness, time-saving, comfort-zone, like everybody else. But I plan on switching to VX eventually.

--edit--

Now we need a civil topic to discuss why VX users are so offended that people use 2k3.