pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Corfaisus
Stuff about FFVI
LockeZ
Stuff about dead girlfriends in his basement

*Slowly, quietly backs out of the room.*
author=Mirak
I watched recordings of people in the US watching this particular scene. People were literally crying tears of laughter. In the theater i went you could listen to the heartbeat of the guy sitting five rows below you because of how dead silent the room was.

Sorry but that was incredibly meh.

author=SnowOwl
author=Jeroen_Sol
That's a gross over-exaggeration and you know it. Many games translate into different mediums pretty well, since they have their own in-game culture rather than a reference to pop culture every two lines. Yes, often games do reflect the culture they originated in, and yes, in such games, a scene sometimes has to be changed in order to convey the same message in another culture. So what? Praise the localization team for putting in effort to create an experience that is enjoyable outside of Japan, don't bash them for not being a glorified Google Translate.
Yeah it's a bit of an exaggeration, I was mostly having fun with that picture. But it's the general feeling I get from alot of localizations. I want a glorified google translate. I don't mind cultural differences in my games/videos. Why should I praise some asshat that change it from the way the original gamemakers wanted the game to be represented?
It's one thing in childrens cartoons and similar, but in stuff meant for reasonably intelligent people? No thanks.

Weighing to say that 4Kids can go fuck themselves over the changes they made to One Piece and other anime. Sometimes the changes just go way too far. OMG RICEBALLS WHATEVER ARE THESE THINGS AND HOW DO THEY EXIST WE MUCH CHANGE THEM TO COOKIES FOR WESTERN AUDIENCES ARE INCAPABLE OF LEARNING ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OTHER CULTURE BUT THEIR OWN OR APPRECIATING THAT MAYBE OTHER COUNTRIES IN A FUCKING FANTASY WORLD MIGHT LIKE FUCKING BALLS OF RICE!!!

Seriously, I love fantranslated stuff because they usually leave interesting terms like Nakama and Mellorine and the like in. Small touches that give a feeling of new and old and a melding of different races and ideas. God forbid we ever learn something from a fucking cartoon. :/

Don't even get me started on games and the bullshit censorship that went on in them. One of my favourites thankfully came through unscathed by the wooley cut (granted the dialogue got butchered to hell, but at least the important shit is still in there). OH NO A CROSS PEOPLE WILL THINK A CHURCH IS RELIGIOUS!!! OH NO THEY SAID 'DEAD', PEOPLE WILL THINK THEY DIED!!!

For serious? -_-
author=pianotm
Corfaisus
Stuff about FFVI
LockeZ
Stuff about dead girlfriends in his basement

*Slowly, quietly backs out of the room.*

It was a joke from a podcast. You should listen to them. I hear they're very funny at times.

...it was funny, damnit!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
unity has taken over the front page.

I knew this would happen....
Then you picked an awfully good time to write that article about her, then, hahaha…
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Solitayre
unity has taken over the front page.

I knew this would happen....

"I told you bunnies would take over the world, and they have!"
Thankfully everyone loves her being there, so 'tis fine. The next overlord ...

So I wrote an article, I kept the draft for a lil and now it's not on the frontpage despite just being approved. Bummer :/
author=Liberty
Weighing to say that 4Kids can go fuck themselves over the changes they made to One Piece and other anime. Sometimes the changes just go way too far.
Reminds me of this

author=kaliesto
I think Working Designs Studio was pretty famous or infamous for this depending how you feel about them back in the day.
An enthusiastic bunch for sure, but they were definitely hit-or-miss. Though, more than whatever wild script changes or inserted (not changed) pop culture references, some of the changes they made to the design of the games themselves is a lot worse: Raystorm can not be played to completion on the actual default settings of the original JP version; Thunderforce V had its scoring system mucked with for some reason; I've read they accidentally made the latter parts of Exile 2 nigh-unwinnable; there's probably more I don't know about.
Still pretty amazing that for one of the games they worked on, they had to change everyone's names BECAUSE THE COMPANY THAT HIRED THEM FOR THE TRANSLATION WOULD NOT LEGALLY ALLOW THEM TO USE THE ORIGINAL NAMES. I mean, holy shit, that's right up there with Final Fantasy 8's translators having to use a Gameshark to hack the text in need of translation out of the game because JP Square wouldn't give it to them (or something like that).
here is my favorite localization change:

e: actually it's where the D Knights in the final dungeon are at least on par with Gorsia himself
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
there is no localization better than

warning: lots of foul language. lots of racist comments and such. caveat spectator.
haveyouacceptedjesusasyourpersonalsaviour

also i have 0 idea what 4kids is since i'm brazilian but watching the american opening of "cardcaptors" makes me terrified.

wtf did they even

the korean opening in comparison (also an original song)

(I LOVE THE KOREAN OPENING)
"Principals always look like lesbians." WHAT
Jesus girl makes me die of laughter. And tears. Then more laughter.

@Joseph The cultural gap is so extreme, I'm almost doubtful it's the same show.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
This is the best localization of anything ever:
author=Ratty524
This is the best localization of anything ever:

I'm ashamed I forgot about this, Samurai Pizza Cats is the fucking best
@Craze: Having watched that anime, I have to say, they fucked that particular piece over so bad it's not funny. That, or what you've shown are from a parody version, because good Lord (Jesus is my personal saviour), those are some fucking weird changes! o.O

@Jo: Card Captors in Australia had a version of the original opening that was super dumbed down. "My name's Sakura~" ...Actually, it reminds me a lot of what was done to the Naruto openings. Wouldn't surprise me if they were done by the same company, especially with how they pronounced certain characters' names... Sehkooooooooorah instead of sah-ku-rah.

@Ratty: Dude, at least that tune was fucking catchy and appealed to a young audience.

In what world is this:

Better than this:

At least Funimation got our backs...

Like, seriously though. 4Kids actually went and replaced the music (not just the OP and Ending!) of the series, too! GOODBYE ATMOSPHERIC AWESOMENESS LETS PUT IN SOME RANDOM STUPID SOUND EFFECTS AND MUSIC BECAUSE WE CAN!
...not even going to bring up the stupidity of removing FLINTLOCK pistols and rifles and replacing them with WATER GUNS in a world where Marines and Pirates fight against each other fairly often. (or that one scene where said water pistol caused something to blow up... or that other scene where they removed a gun that then shot and killed someone in that next moment...they replaced the gun with the guy pointing instead

It was already changed from the manga version where he shoots her in the head.

Bellemere straight up don't give a fuck. Best mum.
)
oh, and let's just cut out a whole fucking arc that OOPS WAS INTEGRAL TO THE PLOTLINE LOL
i beat you, the us could have gotten this as its "localization" of sailor moon

the transformation scenes do look better than sailor moon crystal's though.
also lol at those links.

Portugal's sakura dub got really stupid too, "my name's sakura, and with tomoyo kero touya and yukito i will be happy they are my friends" something like that making sure to spell the names of every single character in the series a thousand times.

the brazilian localization, however, was surprisingly great for sakura. and the second localization was really awesome for sailor moon too. I think we have some really great localizations here in brazil -- certainly better than those freaky rap songs americans put everywhere in the 90's >_>

Here's the one we had in Australia. It's not sooo bad, but eh...
the melody was changed quite a bit sheesh but yeah not too bad!
the brazilian one, you'll obviously not understand the lyrics but i like how she kept the melody and how the localization of the lyrics is really precise and effective :D

i was surprised when i first read the original lyrics at how accurate it was
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.

I absolutely adore the latin american opening.
whoa its great indeed! and the lyrics are also surprisingly precise, it's quite close to the brazilian one in fact, ruvruvruvit

god now this made me think of this:

she's the same voice actress of the brazilian Bubbles from PPG and I love her. This is pretty great though (though I still prefer the original japanese version)