WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I did.

And it'sss woooorkking, it's worrrkinggg. *john williams cue as my virgin mother looks on*
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Look what you've done, people! You've forced poor Jeroen to resort to LATIN. Are you proud of yourselves?!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=pianotm
I am not Buddhist, but my instinct knows a glaring fact when it slaps me in the face. We must kill to survive, whether we're eating animals or plants. Everything we love perishes. When what we love perishes, our memories barely do them justice, are fleeting, and in time are lost. Memories only last forever in the movies. Take my word for it. Then, our final compensation is that we get to die too. Now, I know this isn't all there is to life, but I also know that this is the drum beat we all march to.

At least we have gam mak to cheer us up.

:(
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
this topic is as disappointing as my life is

I am excited for the warm weather coming our way in the midwest u.s. though.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I can't wait untill the snow actually disappears.

There's too many dirty slushpiles pilled up on the sides of the roads.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=seiromem
I can't wait untill the snow actually disappears.

There's too many dirty slushpiles pilled up on the sides of the roads.

It's 293K in the Netherlands, which is unheard of for this time of year. Frankly, even if it were Summer right now, it would be decent weather.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Adon237
this topic is as disappointing as my life is

So I got called down to the office on Friday. At first I thought it was so they could tell me I got detention (for reasons I won't go into right now). I was relieved to see it was only a letter for my mother. I opened it --to make sure I wasn't in any trouble-- to find it was completely in Spanish! I am Hispanic; however, my parents were born and raised in America and only know English (as do I).

So after seventh period I went back down and told the secretary that it was in Spanish. She just looks at me like I'm an idiot and says,"Yea?" It turns out that they assumed all Hispanic people at their school were only Spanish speaking immigrants. I now like the powers that be slightly less.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
So was the letter not actually addressed to you or did the school translate it to Spanish? (The first being a forgivable mistake of the school and the second really not)
The school translated it to Spanish and it was addressing me.
author=LockeZ
I got polio from you, so I beg to differ.
Wait, is someone here an anti-vaxer? Because that is the worst thing anyone can be (unless you hate children and love disease, I guess - but then you are the worst sort of monster). I am not being hyperbolic. anti-vaccine is the height of idiocy.

author=LockeZ
author=pianotm
So what makes a good religion?
If you ask a nonreligious person, they might say something about... improving the world or whatever they think people are subconsciously trying to get out of religion?

But, to the person who believes it, the only thing that matters in a religion is whether it's correct. You choose a religion because you believe it's correct, not because of the good it does for other people or because it has historically caused less harm.
People don't "choose" religion. The religion/virus is communicable from parent to child. Any "choice" executed by anyone is rarely "Which religion should I choose?", it's "Do I follow the religion of my parents or not?"
author=kentona
People don't "choose" religion. The religion/virus is communicable from parent to child. Any "choice" executed by anyone is rarely "Which religion should I choose?", it's "Do I follow the religion of my parents or not?"

I took a look at some other religions before staying christian. So I guess you were kinda right.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=InfectionFiles
author=Jeroen_Sol
author=pianotm
And this is my problem with religion, right here. LockeZ has hit the nail on the head. Religion is that which makes the believer right and everyone else wrong, and to be wrong is to deserve death.
Although there certainly are people who think like this, there are plenty of religious people who believe their God to be merciful and think that even non-believers will be saved. Saying that to a religious person, not believing means death strikes me as a littke bigoted.

You cannot look me square in the eye and say that the "laws" of eternal joy or eternal pain are not predominant strategies of religions (mainly Christianity, in my experience) to convert and condemn everyone who doesn't comply fully to their established beliefs. When this is true of most of a demographic, how bigoted can such a statement be? Frankly, anyone who argues that it is seems to try to be saving ground that they feel they're losing.

Let's see here...Christianity, uh-huh...merciful god...yup...Inquisition, Malleus Malificorum, Crusades, let's discuss:

Jesus Christ sowed the seed of Christianity but it was John who ultimately took his teachings to the masses of Rome. He was, of course, crucified as Christ was, but the damage had been done. The people of Rome were turning Christian. Rome, which was Pagan, had a problem with this. The problem: Christianity only had one god, that god was not the Roman Emperor, and under Roman law, not worshiping the emperor as a god was an act of treason. There are actually a number of court records regarding the prosecuting of Christians. Some magistrates thought them heretics. Others were besides themselves, knowing the people they were sentencing were absolutely peaceful and spiritual but they were bound by law. Some magistrates chose to resign their posts rather than have to make another such horrible decision a second time in their careers. These people knew the persecution was wrong but they had to do it because they were bound by law.

Still, Christianity blossomed until it spread across all walks of life. Then comes Christianity's big break: Emperor Constantine. If you're Catholic, you know the story. He was in battle, his army was being massacred and then he saw a cross in the sky with a banner that read "Conquer with this." Lo and behold, he rallied his beleaguered troops and won the day. Well, this story is BS. Food for the masses, as they say. Here's what really happened: while repairing the damage to Rome caused by years of civil war, Constantine had an epiphany; all of the government officers could read, and the only people who could read were Christian. Why? Because Christians have to be able to read the Bible. This meant that Constantine was surrounded by his enemies. Solution: become Christian.

Well, here is what Christianity did for European civilization. You could read books, but they had to be approved by the church. Any book that did not venerate god in some way or venerated god in a way that disagreed with the Canon was banned. Imagine what happened to books written by non-Christians. The result: throughout the first ten centuries of Christianity, the European population became horribly illiterate. Progress was often regarded as blasphemy so inventions and their inventors were often disposed of. Just to give you an idea of what our world would have been like without Christianity, in the 13th century one such invention that was destroyed was an actual working jet engine (the schematics have survived. It is a functioning, highly fuel efficient, steam-driven engine. Technology that existed before it existed is something of a hobby of mine. Ask me about the Victorian computer, sometime.).

Okay, I've digressed. Back to the history lesson. Around the 7th century, we have a Moorish man called Mohammed. He's trying to spread Christianity to the Persian world. They run him out on a rail. During his exile, he comes to attend a European religious school (not just any school, either. He enrolled in Oxford.). During his studies he learns the Bible and learns that, Lo!, Christ has promised he would return. Well, Mohammed isn't quite right in the head. He thinks Christ was talking about him. So he goes back to Mecca and claims that he is the second coming of Christ, goes into a cave, has a vision of the Archangel Gabriel and the 1200 page ejaculation that results comes to be known as the Qu'ran. (Just an aside, even if you don't agree with the philosophy, the Qu'ran is worth reading simply for the fact that it is linguistically one of the most beautiful poetic pieces ever conceived. Nothing that I can think of compares to it, except perhaps some of Shakespeare's loftier works.)

Thus, is born the tradition of Islam. The result: The Persian people become obsessed with knowledge (it is my opinion that Islam of today has lost itself. Whereas today, they destroy anything that disagrees with Mohammedan philosophy, under Mohammed and his followers, Islam prized foreign knowledge above all else.). They engaged archaeologists to locate ancient or hidden manuscripts, built entire libraries. The Persian world knew its renaissance under the beginning of Islamic rule and the 2000 questions of Sha'Ria.

So what do we have? The Christians, an entire civilization that is largely illiterate, losing ground to the Muslims, a civilization that is at its height in art, education and wisdom. Who do you think is going to come off better? If you guessed Islam, give yourself a gold star. Christianity, by the 10th century was facing a grim death at the hands of Islam. Of course, this could not be allowed and so Europe, led by the Vatican declared war, a jihad, against Islam, their goal to destroy it wherever it could be found. A very enlightened way to deal with the situation, don't you think. It was out of this era that we get such tales of Robin Hood, Ivanhoe, tales of adventure that don't paint the governments of Europe in a very pretty light.

The Christians say they won the Crusades. The Muslims say they won the Crusades. The fact that the Christians on this board are not Muslim suggests that everyone agreed to disagree. Of course, Paganism has been allowed to flourish while everyone was busy fighting the Muslims. Well, we can't have Europeans not believing in Christ. They must die...erm...sorry, they must be saved!

(Jarring chord)

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!! Of course that was just one branch of the Inquisition, but probably the bloodiest, following the writings of the Malleus Malificorum (The Witch's Hammer), they are said to have killed some 60,000 people, mostly women...of course, they also killed Jews, and the number was closer to 200,000 because of that. Their preferred method? Jeez, don't you people watch Monty Python? They burned them!...after comparing their weight to a duck.

So would you like to know what Jewish faith believes should happen to unbelievers. Just read the Old Testament. It includes the Torah and some very select parts of the Talmud (obviously not the whole thing). It gives you a good idea. Feed them wormwater and see of god chooses to save them. Drive a tent stake through his head if he's a foreigner.

Oh yes, my point of view is SOOO bigoted...yawn.

author=InfectionFiles
author=Jeroen_Sol
author=pianotm
I am not Buddhist, but my instinct knows a glaring fact when it slaps me in the face. We must kill to survive, whether we're eating animals or plants. Everything we love perishes. When what we love perishes, our memories barely do them justice, are fleeting, and in time are lost. Memories only last forever in the movies. Take my word for it. Then, our final compensation is that we get to die too. Now, I know this isn't all there is to life, but I also know that this is the drum beat we all march to.
Are you a nihilist? Certainly you could argue life in itself has no meaning, and I would agree with you, but isn't this one of the reasons religion was created? Religion was necessary in the olden days to give an aetias, a reason behind the world existing the way it does, but it also tries to answer the question of 'why do I, as a person, exist?' To be able formulate a non-nihilistic answer to that question is one of the things I deeply respect about religious people. Life in itsf might be meaningless, but with so many people giving it meaning for themselves, can you truly say it is meaningless?
Buddhism gets straight to the point and, instead of going on and on about why someone else thinks your life has purpose, states that the dismissal of human desires beyond the acceptance and willfulness of positive change and the admission of needs leads to a contentment in life that is ultimately good. Nowhere does it say that because life is inherently meaningless that we should embrace suffering; nay, it says the very opposite. We should acknowledge that life is full of daily inherent suffering due to the greed of the body, but we must also strive to make peace in ourselves and give of ourselves to others in the pursuit of Nirvana.

It's easier to understand when you aren't focused on receiving some sort of reward for the faith you exhibit.

Why does realizing that the underlying tone of life is suffering make me a nihilist? This is the first noble truth of Buddhism, and none of them are nihilists.

The individual snippets of comprehension are a means to an end for my philosophy. Look at my avatar. Who is he? I subscribe to his wisdom. Love is the law, love under will. As he believed, I believe that the purpose to life is to help others without thought of reward. There can be no better use of your inborn power than that. Find a nihilist that believes that!

LMAO!!!

- What the hell happened to the Leafs, anyway? I thought that those guys were doing pretty well this season! Well, at least those guys can join my team for the opening day tee times in the next two weeks or so with the way things are going right now. :(
"We're proud to annoucne that the next RMN Community Game, guaranteed to generate zero controversy, will be an Exile fangame, ExZaiRu Daifukkatsu: Crystal Dragon Jesus Slayer! Stock up on your heart-poisons and controlled substances, folks, we're in it for the long haul!"
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
It's bugging the shit out of me that I can't find an old mix from the early 2000s that was about an hour long and all I can remember of it was a section in the third quarter that went: Impetus Viscus -> O Fortuna -> Axel F (Vocal Mix).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Square Enix announced today that Final Fantasy: Bravely Default did so well that they're planning on moving back to their JRPG roots.

I'm so fucking happy I could cry
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Its like when Nintendo made A Link Between Worlds, and then that sold well so they said "Hey, maybe people don't like all this hand-holding we're doing to ensure they don't get stuck. I guess folks like non-linearity? Lets do more of that."
author=Jeroen_Sol
Although there certainly are people who think like this, there are plenty of religious people who believe their God to be merciful and think that even non-believers will be saved. Saying that to a religious person, not believing means death strikes me as a little bigoted.

Don't worry, Joroen, I get you. You made a very true statement. Dunno why you got the replies you got. But hey, that's the internet for you...
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=alterego
author=Jeroen_Sol
Although there certainly are people who think like this, there are plenty of religious people who believe their God to be merciful and think that even non-believers will be saved. Saying that to a religious person, not believing means death strikes me as a little bigoted.
Don't worry, Joroen, I get you. You made a very true statement. Dunno why you got the replies you got. But hey, that's the internet for you...

I don't know...maybe it was the whole bigoted thing. Everyone who's ever told me I'm going to burn in Hell and there was no salvation for me for practicing magick were convinced that their merciful god would save all non-believers. In cases where I point out the contradiction, THEY ARE ALWAYS TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS. It is perfectly logical to them that god will save all non-believers who but ask his forgiveness, except the non-believer they've just promised eternal damnation; god hates him. I've seen my own family turn into raving lunatics over the Bible.