WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Housekeeping
I don't get it; I'm one of the most cynical people I know, but I think we live in a pretty awesome time period overall, and I'm incredibly optimistic about the future.
There are also more people living in slavery today than at any point in history, and it's getting worse. It's good to be optimistic but it's also important not to gloss over and erase the catastrophic suffering other people are enduring across the world.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=GreatRedSpirit
I have it on good authority that just before Jesus threw all the merchants out of the temple he said "I'm tired of these motherfucking merchants in motherfucking temples!". Then he personally gave each merchant a wedgie before throwing them into the nearby cistern and flipping them the bird.

author=Mirak
Oh no

These were the only good posts on the last page, sorry guys

author=Sailerius
There are also more people living in slavery today than at any point in history, and it's getting worse. It's good to be optimistic but it's also important not to gloss over and erase the catastrophic suffering other people are enduring across the world.

I was contesting the notion that we live in a comparably bad time period to the past; I'm not blind to the fact that there is still suffering. Didn't know that factoid about slavery, though. Although, I'm interested to know more about that; what's defined as slavery now vs. the past?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Gourd_Clae
These were the only good posts on the last page, sorry guys

How dare you bring into question the brilliance of the burping! I ought to call down my bgcghxmbbgj] to smite you.

Then again, the only reason I get any sort of joy from it is because I literally can't. God didn't give me the proper equipment to do so (I chug Mtn. Dew like it's water and still nothing), so I have to live vicariously through others.

author=Housekeeping
author=Sailerius
I was contesting the notion that we live in a comparably bad time period to the past; I'm not blind to the fact that there is still suffering. Didn't know that factoid about slavery, though. Although, I'm interested to know more about that; what's defined as slavery now vs. the past?

Sweat shops, gold farmers and blood diamonds.

Essentially any unsuitable human conditions designed for productivity.

-------

In other news, I feel terrible for deriving even the slightest bit of humor from a deaf man watching The Voice.
Sweat shops, gold farmers and blood diamonds.

Essentially any unsuitable human conditions designed for productivity.

-------

In other news, I feel terrible for deriving even the slightest bit of humor from a deaf man watching The Voice.

Illegal aliens forced to pick fruit or other jobs under the table for pennies, the whole human trafficking, sex trafficking, child selling, forced drug trafficking stuff. The lowest rung on some massive megacorps ladder could qualify as another type of slavery. Low pay, long hours, no overtime, no real chance for improvement, etc. Forced drug use and addiction for builders/construction workers of Dubai....
This list could get very, very long, very, very fast....How may I depress you today?!

Edit: Blergh, deleted Corf's quote tags by accident.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Housekeeping
Well for one thing, the PERCENTAGE of people in slavery today is the lowest it's ever been... there are just almost ten times as many total people in the world as there were in 1800.

But you're also right about the definition changing. For example, during feudalism, by modern standards, everybody who wasn't nobility was enslaved. But at the time they were not considered slaves because they weren't legally "owned," they were just controlled. In modern day NOBODY is legally "owned" as a slave, because that's not legally possible in any country, and so the definition that human rights group use has shifted to not require that any more. In the 1800s sense of the term, there are no slaves remaining anywhere on Earth today, except perhaps in tiny secluded tribes.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Just gonna chant my cynical mantra now.

"...Lo que no veo no lo siento...
Lo que no pienso no lo siento...
...Lo que no veo no lo siento"
author=LockeZ
Well for one thing, the PERCENTAGE of people in slavery today is the lowest it's ever been... there are just almost ten times as many total people in the world as there were in 1800.

But you're also right about the definition changing. For example, during feudalism, by modern standards, everybody who wasn't nobility was enslaved. But at the time they were not considered slaves because they weren't legally "owned," they were just controlled. In modern day NOBODY is legally "owned" as a slave, because that's not legally possible in any country, and so the definition that human rights group use has shifted to not require that any more. In the 1800s sense of the term, there are no slaves remaining anywhere on Earth today, except perhaps in tiny secluded tribes.

Yeah, the important thing is less about applying pre-abolition slavery's definition today than it is applying today's definition to pre-abolition time. I would imagine that total number of slaves would even be higher in the past, percentages aside.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.

Wow holy shit I didn't remember this show being this trippy.
Hehe, yep Mirak. Gumby is a far out show.

Today I'm thinking about...spaceships. Spaceships wielding swords and battling it out with a cosmic backdrop!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Note to self: don't stay up all night then start trying to have an intelligent conversation.
there's a thin line between word and world
Corfaisus
author=kentona

*Reading Rainbow jingle*

That wiggly bear is all kinds of distracting.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=kentona

fuck that's clever
don't wanna shit up Ephiam's game profile but

author=kentona
and if it was the MIDI version, were you at one point listening to MIDI music on Windows Media Player and paused it, which causes the volume control for MIDI synth to be set to 0 for some dumb reason?

required a lol
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Deviantart member: Here's a poll.
Poll: Only one choice.

I get the feeling that these people on Deviantart don't fully understand the concept of a poll...