+++ DYNRPG - THE RM2K3 PLUGIN SDK +++

dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
This is really hacky, but I like it.

I wrote a quick and dirty plugin to display your PC's system time in the DMS, then used that to drive a day-night system.

:o

Can you reference that time value in variables? I would love to code in a Time Mage class that has skills that actually depend on the current time.
dragonheartman
author=kentona
:o

Can you reference that time value in variables? I would love to code in a Time Mage class that has skills that actually depend on the current time.

Yes, the values are locked into the first three variables in the in-game variable database (hour, minute, and second). The day/night system just reads in the hour variable in a common event and tints the screen accordingly.

You can probably also do cool things like harvest moon or animal crossing, where you quit playing for some amount of time and you can actually track how long it has been since you last played and update the game based on that factor. Maybe you'd award users bonus exp if they take a break for a day (WoW does this to a lesser extent to encourage taking breaks), or do some Farmville-esque system where you can care for crops/animals and they grow even while you aren't playing.
Ever since the SDK was released, I have glimpse of hope that Rm2k3 can have the functionality of VX, or at least some part of it.

can someone please crush my hopes again and confirm whether:

1. A script that allows you to change class/sprite in battle?
2. A script that Allows you to change the RESISTANCE towards an attribute (i.e. like changing it to A, B, C) via skills (as in SMT games).
3. Multi hit skills (or show multiple damage).

are possible?

And aye, please do not turn this into RM2003 Vs RMVX ACE.

On unrelated note, the RPGRAGE comic site a while back is down?
author=dragonheartman
This is really hacky, but I like it.

I wrote a quick and dirty plugin to display your PC's system time in the DMS, then used that to drive a day-night system.

Can you make a time played in this window?
dragonheartman
author=s_w

2. A script that Allows you to change the RESISTANCE towards an attribute (i.e. like changing it to A, B, C) via skills (as in SMT games).

1. Yes.
2. Yes. If for some reason that data is static in the database, there are a few ways you can simulate it (e.g., with conditions).
3. Yes, you can make skills show damage multiple times, if that's what you mean.

author=gadesx
Can you make a time played in this window?

Yes, I will likely do this for my project--the day/night system isn't practical to implement. Time played can be the legitimate time the application is opened, even if it's minimized.
author=dragonheartman
author=s_w

1. Yes.
2. Yes. If for some reason that data is static in the database, there are a few ways you can simulate it (e.g., with conditions).
3. Yes, you can make skills show damage multiple times, if that's what you mean.

I like the sound of those answers.

Alas, as advanced coding is not my strong suit, is it possible to request these scripts in this thread?
dragonheartman
Yeah, I'd be more than happy to give any plugin development a shot for anyone who's interested. Either post or PM me the details. I'd like to make this SDK as accessible as possible (for the two or three of you that still use 2k3).
To quote myself in the old RM2009 Ultimate

1. Changing Class graphic in battle (instantly applied?)
2. Ability to set stat value to x instead of adding/reducing it -x +x
3. Ability to change resistance/reduce stat like in SMT series (perhaps by “level”) so stat change skills is more strategic
4. Changing class while maintaining battle graphic (instead of making duplicate of class just to change resistance).

I was specifically looking for these functions, if they are possible that is.

1. Not sure how it works, but the change is applied after battle, is there a way to make it instant?

2. Basically RM only lets you increase or decrease value of stat (change stat like HP/MP, ATT/DEF/MAG/SPD) a way to set them to x immediately is what I am looking for. Set value x to 10 for example.

3. Resistance works in grade A to E (-100% is possible only for E). Equipment and skill CAN change the resistance by 1 grade (ex from c (100%) to B (80%; 20% resistance)) but only 1 grade for equipment and 1 grade from skill to a maximum of 2 grade.

What I am thinking is that the ability to make it cumulative (E -> D --> C etc) via skill in battle as well (as well as to reset it to normal value, like in SMT series, if you are familiar with that..) as the ability to set it to a grade ex to E (100% resist) immediately.

For example, if I have anti-fire shield which is only effective if I decide to . It is possible to use equipment to bypass limitation, but it is limited to 1 grade only. So I can't go from ex. A (200% very weak to fire) ---> E (0%, resist) in one go.

4. This one is a bit harder to explain, but the gist is, that I want to be able to select a battle sprite for a character, which is independent of the class while still having the benefit of the class.

Example, I have 3 character with 5 distinct class. I have to duplicate it 5 times to allow full custom.

If I can assign a class to character while maintaining their default battle sprite, I only need 5.

-------------

Let me know what you think (possible/impossible). It's nothing major, so if you can make it but need like 1000 man hours to accomplish it, please don't. I can live without these "improvements".

I think this is worthy of an engine page on the main site for easy access to various plugins.
dragonheartman
s_w, I should really get on these. I'm spending some time with this on my own project to really get things figured out though, as some things aren't clear to me so I've gone and done some hacky things. (As if this isn't hacky enough.) Regarding your list...

1. should not be at all difficult
2. I have already implemented in my own project; again it's very messy and only for a subset of the game stats. I could make an independent plugin for it though.
3. I have hacked this with conditions, so something like "Enrage" will just apply a condition that adds 10 str. There are other conditions that even temporarily increase max hp. ;)
4. you should be able to "force" a particular battle sprite for a particular character and then create your classes around that. I'm not too sure what the best approach otherwise for this would be.
Also, I want to keep this as on topic to the plugin as possible and this isn't a plug for my game, but I have a few ideas/requests for plugins I'd like to see happen (and I'd share with the community if it happens)

http://rpgmaker.net/games/555/blog/6907/

All prospective Dyn coders check this out.
author=dragonheartman
s_w, I should really get on these. I'm spending some time with this on my own project to really get things figured out though, as some things aren't clear to me so I've gone and done some hacky things. (As if this isn't hacky enough.) Regarding your list...

1. should not be at all difficult
2. I have already implemented in my own project; again it's very messy and only for a subset of the game stats. I could make an independent plugin for it though.
3. I have hacked this with conditions, so something like "Enrage" will just apply a condition that adds 10 str. There are other conditions that even temporarily increase max hp. ;)
4. you should be able to "force" a particular battle sprite for a particular character and then create your classes around that. I'm not too sure what the best approach otherwise for this would be.

Welp, I missed the response for a few days it seems. My bad.

To reply, No:
2. I am no programmer, so I thought it would be pretty simple. Looks like it isn't. No matter, I have my own method of bypassing this limitation (albeit it's more of a workaround).

3. Hmm, I not too sure if we are on the same frequency here. Sure, that enrage thing is sweet (saves another workaround and is HANDY to have). But what I had in mind is basically ANTI spells. Absorb, Null, Reflect; for specific element. Pretty sure this is a nightmare to program (especially if that Absorb/Null/Reflect only works for a particular element, say, Anti-Fire for Fire)
Hmm, I guess it's something like "Script Trait System for Rm2k3" now that I think about it.

4. Yeah, something like adding Battle Sprite function to the Hero's Database that cannot be affected by class's database.

----------------

Also, some more:
- Can you allow customization to the enemy's stat in battle? (Add str or INT to them)

-Last but not least, is changing the whole battle function possible? Say if I want to program it like melody's battle system that gives turns based on using correct element etc. Actually, wait, no I don't think this one is possible - the answer would be "just use VX ACE already". :[

dragonheartman
author=s_w
-Last but not least, is changing the whole battle function possible? Say if I want to program it like melody's battle system that gives turns based on using correct element etc. Actually, wait, no I don't think this one is possible - the answer would be "just use VX ACE already". :[
1. Yes, that's not terribly difficult to do.

2. The SDK mentions you can create completely new "scenes", so writing a custom battle scene would be possible, but very difficult and likely project-specific. (If you don't know what I mean by scenes, think screens, like battle screens, menu screens, map viewer screens, shop screens, etc.)

However.. yes it is possible. :)

From what little I've done with drawing to the screen, it seems very fast (pictures are really slow :)) and my interface alterations seem solid and baked into the application as if it were native.
Sounds pretty awesome. Well, let me know if you release some sample/demo game then. Perhaps I can learn how to make that kind of plugin myself.

Or well, if you decide to release the modified "engine" to be used en masse.
Hey, hello!

Sorry for not responding during the last weeks, I have really a lot of work to do here (moving into my own apartment, starting a business, working at a hospital (mandatory 9-month job, as alternative to military service))... Thank you for the great response to this project! I hope I will find time soon to work on it again.

Best regards,
Cherry
I can see myself using the date and time plugins, and the pathfinder (I've been wanting to make a co-op AI system for a while now). I'm interested, cherry.
And for the record, I use 2k3 because I can't be bothered actually BUYING XP/VX/VXA. I mean, for me it's just a hobby.
dragonheartman
author=Cherry
Hey, hello!

Sorry for not responding during the last weeks, I have really a lot of work to do here (moving into my own apartment, starting a business, working at a hospital (mandatory 9-month job, as alternative to military service))... Thank you for the great response to this project! I hope I will find time soon to work on it again.

Best regards,
Cherry
I hope you checked your paypal. Thank you again, Cherry. :)

I've done a few little neat things with the plugin. Have a look!