AVERTING LEVEL GRINDING

Pages: first 123456 next last
Ok, I'm sure level grinding is quite an issue with those who wants to make their game challenging and keep the RPG feel to it. Now I got this idea where I make it so that in my game, bosses offer about 70 times more exp than normal encounters. So it would probably take a single boss to level up, while it takes an hour to level up if you just walk around fighting the strongest random encounters at that stage of the game.

This makes it so that, the exp from normal encounters will be too insignificant in comparison to exp gained from plot advancement. Sure you can grind a little to make later parts of the game easier. But you'll always need an extent of strategy, mainly for the bosses. Level grinding to the point where you can mindlessly button mash away at bosses and win would take at least 3 hours. Which I doubt anyone will have the patience for.

I'm just wondering if this is that good of an idea. The reason I'm unsure is because of how very few(if at all) games had tried this. Most games seem to have bosses only pay off 5 times exp than normal encounters. There are even games where they ironically don't offer exp at all. So is there a problem with my idea or not? I'm not sure.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Well the thing is that with this method there's no incentive for players to go after encounters besides item drops. You could make item drops very rewarding, I guess, but there's no real drive to finish the fights when the EXP you're getting is diddly squat.

I think it's because battles make up the 'gameplay' of RPGs while bosses are indeed more plot-orientated so they serve a different function. Having difficult bosses is great (wish more games would do it) but they are still a plot device.

Also that said there's an issue of balance and underlevelling. There is always the preference that player can complete your game over finding it difficult. Restricting EXP like that may result in issues like a player reaching a boss they just can't beat and quitting, and as an indie developer you don't have that luxury (and the player doesn't have the monetary incentive to continue i.e they didn't just $60 for your game)

If you want to do it this way you could always try to have a different method of levelling progression that doesn't revolve around EXP.

An idea in that regard would be minor enemies dropping individual stat points and bosses dropping loads which gives the player the option of customization and it means grinding isn't orientated around levels- a player may grind just to add a few points to their AGI stat because the boss is way too fast for them.

Or you could completely throw stats and levels out the window but THAT'S AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT BALL GAME, YO
The only game I truly recall in the mainstream that had something like this was Legend Of Dragoon. The most you used regular encounters was to train battle stance level and dragoon level. It was very rare to gain levels through regular fights past the first couple hours of the game, and even rarer to get good money. The most expensive thing (and the best thing in the game, debatably) was a piece of armor that cost 10,000 gold. Yeah, you really didn't earn much gold in the game.
That said, it worked enough for it, but you would really have to reward your players for grinding, rather than punishing them.
I wouldn't say I'm punishing them. It's rather my way of saying my game is challenging without being grind heavy. Grinding does help, I think mentioned that in the OP. But only to a certain extent and not worth spending hours on. If grinding is all you'll be putting into the game, you're gonna be stuck quite a bit.

Oh and about players quitting when they can't beat the boss at their level. Well, that's where they should learn there are answers to defeating a tough boss other than power leveling. In any case, if my game ever comes out, they can always just complain on my page I think.

I'm not sure about loot though. But I'll try to be fair with them on my project I guess.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=SorceressKyrsty
Well the thing is that with this method there's no incentive for players to go after encounters besides item drops.

On the one hand, this is kind of the idea, though, right? You don't want people to feel like grinding is a good idea. Because it's not fun, and if you compel them to do it, they won't have fun with your game.

However, what you also don't want is for people to run from every battle. You want them to fight stuff, you just don't want them to keep fighting stuff after it stops being interesting. As a relatively simple alternate method, what if enemies granted normal XP the first time you killed them, and 1/15 that much if you fight them additional times?

This is a topic I have a lot of ideas about, I'll post my own ideas later.
:x I don't mind grinding if the combat is rewarding (I actually kind of find it fun)

...but I started RPGs with the original Dragon Warrior, which has warped my views on RPGs forever.
rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
author=kentona
:x I don't mind grinding if the combat is rewarding (I actually kind of find it fun)

Yeah, me neither.
I actually played the Hellgate from Tactics Ogre twice :)
I hold FF6 and Chrono Trigger as the gold standard for challenge and EXP rewarding. The basic idea is that a player can progress in a straight line, killing everything they meet, and not have to stop to grind. If they choose to grind anyway, they get some leverage for awhile. If they run from everything, well, shit, you did it to yourself son.

So it comes to a balance where your design should be focused on drawing a straight line from the town to the boss (including off-the-path treasure chests) and still being able to beat the boss with some strategy. But don't totally discourage grinding, because some people are thick and just won't get it.

(also, bosses who give no exp are for low-level playthroughs)

author=rabitZ
I actually played the Hellgate from Tactics Ogre twice :)

Four times here.
One pair with my Lawful party, another with my Chaotic. Both were on PSX with no frameskip D:
My vague solution to this was to give each encounter location/dungeon a level cap. The cap was usually a couple levels past the expected average for the area, so players could gain a bit more power if they wanted to. But once you reached the cap EXP, gained would be divided by three before being distributed.

This essentially cuts down on grinding and encourages the player to move on with their lives, fight the boss, and get to the next dungeon which has a higher level cap.

I myself tend not to grind in games that I play though. I just focus on playing through and experiencing the story and events, but if the combat is fun or if I want to learn some new skill that fighting generally allows you to do, then I'll fight a couple extra battles for that.

But that tends to be the exception, not the rule.
author=SorceressKyrsty
Well the thing is that with this method there's no incentive for players to go after encounters besides item drops. You could make item drops very rewarding, I guess, but there's no real drive to finish the fights when the EXP you're getting is diddly squat.

How about using the fact that the enemies are trying to kill you as an incentive? That seems to work just fine in a lot of games from other genres. Of course, if you make the encounters boring spam feasts that require no thought and barely even attention, then sure, this can be a problem.

Mind you, I do think that the cannon fodder enemies should give you a proper reward, but you make it sound like a bribe used to get the player to fight battles he'd otherwise just skip. I think it's sad that it's practically assumed that RPG battles aren't fun enough to be fought just for the battles themselves.

OK, that was rather of a tangent, but if the battles were a lot of fun, it would solve a lot of the problems. A player that's used to the idea of actually thinking during battles is more likely to conclude that he needs a better strategy rather than that his level is to low. You also don't have to worry about if your bribe is high enough to get the player to actually fight your battles.

As for the actual question, I do know that Wild Arms 3 have bosses grant the most exp. This worked just fine as far as I am concerned. I think 70 times more exp is a bit to much though, but frankly, you should test what number works best and not decide in advance.
Here's a way that I find can avoid too much grinding, and can attempt to make the player grind only at certain points and only a little.

1. Make a few points in the game where it is evident that if the player levels up a little they will get something great. This sets up those grind points.
2. Make sure the player will only have to grind a little to get that great thing.
3. Make sure the player will have to heal only every few fights, and even less often after the first half of the grind. (There's nothing more annoying than grinding when you have to stop and heal between every fight)
4. Once the player is done and has the great thing, make sure the player is more than ready to defeat the next bad guy.

One example of this is in Final Fantasy VI once you get the first Espers. Every time I get to that point in the game I end up grinding a little to get at least one character to get Bolt 2.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Dyhalto
I hold FF6 and Chrono Trigger as the gold standard for challenge and EXP rewarding. The basic idea is that a player can progress in a straight line, killing everything they meet, and not have to stop to grind. If they choose to grind anyway, they get some leverage for awhile.

See, that latter part is the main thing I want to avoid by removing grinding. Grinding is boring and not fun. It shouldn't be presented as a valid alternative to figuring out how to defeat bosses the normal way.

Actually instead of writing this all out again, I'll just quote an article I wrote a year ago.

Grinding. For the sake of this article, I'm using the term to mean "repetition for the sake of some reward", not "stuff you don't like to do."

You could easily call this kind of repetition the definition of an RPG, as the most basic forms of rewards - experience points, money, and random drops - are the heart of the genre. You could easily say that if you remove the ability to accumulate strength via repetition from an RPG, it's not an RPG any more; it's just an adventure game with menu-based combat.

And you can say that if you want. I don't care what terminology you use. The fact remains that the primary feature I enjoy about RPGs (and what I consider the defining feature of the genre) is tactical, menu-based combat that forces me to think about my actions and gives me time to do so. And the primary feature I despise about RPGs is repetition.

There are two reasons I am on a crusade against repetition in Iniquity and Vindication. The first one is that it's simply not challenging, and thus not satisfying, and thus not fun. When you've already proven to the game that you can overcome a specific challenge, it should not force you to overcome the exact same challenge again. What's the point? You literally have a 0% chance of losing. You can, and almost always should, do exactly the same thing as you did last time. It's not just a matter of being too easy - there's literally no challenge to overcome at all. This type of repetition barely even qualifies as gameplay.

Granted, if the player has limited resources, then a few identical battles are more justifiable. In such a case, each individual battle is not the challenge - the challenge is being able to conserve your resources to last through the string of battles. I don't mind this type of challenge and will most likely include a few of them in Iniquity and Vindication. But I don't think it should make up 95% of a game. And many RPGs don't really have limited resources anyway - you can freely head back to town and restock, and save points probably heal you to full HP/MP. So the repeated battles are utterly pointless.

The second reason I dislike repetition is the reward scheme for it. Being extremely bored for several hours and then essentially skipping the next several challenges should not be presented as an acceptable alternative to playing the game the way it's meant to be played. Who ever decided that this was good game design? What's the point of including challenges, and then giving the player all sorts of encouragement and incentive to not tackle them? Shouldn't you be encouraging the player to have more fun, not less? Are you working on the assumption that your challenges aren't fun? If so, why are you making games?

You would think the only reason anyone would willingly grind up their power would be if they can't overcome your challenge, but that's not the case - many people (called completionists) simply like to experience everything a game has to offer. Other people are drawn in to the grind by story-driven side-quests, or by game mechanics like synthesis shops and monster hunts. And in the process of simply trying to play the game that's presented to them, they actually become so strong that they are prevented from being able to experience the game's challenges. They can still experience the battles, sure. But the challenges are taken away from them. You can tell me, "Oh, you can just not equip that new armor; you can just not use the new skill you learned; then it's the same challenge as before." But the human brain doesn't work like that. The game is less satisfying. You're not beating the game, you're beating your own game you made up because the real game isn't fun enough.

Grinding has its uses, for sure; it's not without benefits. It gives people goals to strive for, it makes every victory feel valuable. I can't argue with anyone who feels like these benefits outweigh the problems. But I want to see a game without grinding; with no repetition, but with RPG style battles. And so that's the game I'm making. Vindication had a somewhat unusual approach to preventing grinding, at least on hard mode, which was that it was impossible to obtain gold from random battles, and there were no sources of unlimited free healing. This made it feel almost like a kind of survival horror game at times. (On normal difficulty, obtaining gold was still difficult, but not impossible.) But I want to take it a step further this time. I'm not removing normal battles from Iniquity and Vindication, but each one will be different - at least diferent enough that you have to think a little bit about what to change in your strategy. None of them will be repeatable. And every third or fourth battle will be a boss. If you're like me, which hopefully some of you are, this will keep every single battle in the game interesting.
I think I responded with something like "but a series of similar challenges is a challenge in of itself"

Also, your definition for an RPG is only half of my definition. The actual combat is one half, and the preparation for the combat is the other.
LockeZ
Right, and if your game is set up so that surviving the series of fights without running out of resources is an actual challenge, then that's fine. But so many games fail at creating that kind of gameplay because it's basically impossible to ever run out of resources. And even when it's done right, that doesn't change the fact that going into a dungeon, fighting four fights, then heading back to town and sleeping at an inn, and repeating that process ten times in a row, is still ultra-boring grinding.
^ I largely agree with you, but I don't see any value in removing the option of grinding from the player. RPGs have always had a level of player-controlled difficulty regulation. It's a genre staple, and it helps counter the randomized nature of RPGs (in platformers, you can learn boss patterns. In RPGs, bosses can use SuperAttack three times in a row by mere chance).
If anything, the difficulty-regulating should be expanded on. For example; the Holy/Foul Waters from Lufia (no encounters / encounters every step).

Also, I've personally experienced grinding, in key points, as a tension builder. If the Emperor's Castle requires me to go up a few levels to get to him, the enemies are interesting or invoking, and the castle BGM is awesome, it helps build immersion and the total climactic feeling.
LockeZ
author=Dyhalto
it helps counter the randomized nature of RPGs (in platformers, you can learn boss patterns. In RPGs, bosses can use SuperAttack three times in a row by mere chance)

I can't think of any reason why RPG bosses would not follow patterns. Even in RPG Maker 2003 it isn't hard to do; you can set skills to only be used every tenth round, you can set skills that only get used below 30% HP, you can give enemies limited MP so they can only use a certain skill once per battle, you can create battle events that inflict a silence-like status on the enemy every other round, etc. RPG battles are supposed to be more about strategy and tactics and planning than platformer battles are, not less!

So basically I guess my point is that I think the boss battles should be designed around making the player figure them out, and if it's done right, then it'll be fun. And if you can make it fun like that, then I don't think it's cool to design your game so the player feels like either doing it the fun way or fighting goblins for thirty minutes are both valid options you intended people to pick from. Because if you do, then some of them will pick the goblins.
but even in a scripted battle, its not like Fire 3 always does 4355 damage. It can vary between 3677 and 4895.

There is a lot of randomization in RPGs.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
my favorite thing to do with bosses that i now do consistently is something i lifted from nessy: it has a rotation of x slots, and each slot has a few possibilities within it.

for example, a very simple Czarina boss might be:

Round 3X+0
--Strong ice spell
--Moderate area ice spell
--Moderate ice spell + speed/accuracy debuff

Round 3X+1
--3x moderate physical attacks
--2x moderate physical attacks + defense debuff

Round 3X+2
--OBLIVION PUNCH (very strong physical attack), followed by moderate area light spell

EDIT: re:randomization, that doesn't mean it HAS to be there. For example, Radiant Historia has no miss rate or evasion. Damage is still somewhat random, but the goal is to build attack chains since higher chains = more damage. If you could miss, it'd screw that system up.
author=Craze
my favorite thing to do with bosses that i now do consistently is something i lifted from nessy: it has a rotation of x slots, and each slot has a few possibilities within it.

EDIT: re:randomization, that doesn't mean it HAS to be there. For example, Radiant Historia has no miss rate or evasion. Damage is still somewhat random, but the goal is to build attack chains since higher chains = more damage. If you could miss, it'd screw that system up.

This is the entire groundwork of SEM's boss patterns. Each round has one or more skill possibilities. Said skill possibilities generally fall into the same categories to give the player a clear idea of what the boss will do next and how to react, even if they can't always tell what EXACTLY will be done. I feel that this provides some semblance of chance while also allowing the player to learn patterns and actually start to fight better instead of flailing in the dark till they win.

I also agree so hard on the presence and absence of certain random factors. Missing and evasion for example are usually absent in my battle system designs. Critical Rate however remains, as well as damage variance and such. This is all in my effort to prune out what I find annoying while promoting what I think is fun of course.
author=Skie Fortress
This is all in my effort to prune out what I find annoying while promoting what I think is fun of course.
"Be the game you wish to see in the world" ~ghandi
Pages: first 123456 next last