AVERTING LEVEL GRINDING

Pages: first prev 123456 last
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Your game having findable loot and rewards doesn't really count as a unique solution to any kind of problem. It just counts as a thing that almost every single game does. I'm sure you can do better than that.
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. In retrospect that seemed kind of stupid to point such a common thing, haha.
You can also get EXP by completing quests (outside of combat), and then there's also stuff like becoming a werewolf, which boosts/lowers your attributes in and out of werewolf form. I'm working on adding more temporary buffs, like a potion that boosts your agility by 100 for 30 seconds, a drug that boosts all your attributes by 25 for 60 seconds, etc.
You can gain several levels and even grow in power a bit without engaging in any combat. The EXP gained from quests doesn't scale up to your level, though, which I guess stops someone from "grinding" by doing a few petty favors for a little boy at level 30-something. No pacifistic option for the main quest though *sigh*.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Although it's a simple thing, I do like the idea of getting one-time XP rewards at stages of the main story quest. Giving bosses abnormally high XP has a similar result. The player wants to move forward in the main quests as soon as they can.

In FF games, on the other hand, bosses typically give no experience points at all, which means any level ups you get are necessarily from fighting weak enemies. The problem is that I feel this encourages the player to keep fighting weak enemies instead of going for the bosses. Which is at the very least boring.

SaGa Frontier 2 uses a really interesting system that I don't think anyone's brought up. You use a character for a couple dungeons, and then they leave your team forever. The only things you get to keep from them after that are their equipment, which can be transferred to your party inventory, and any skills they learned, which get added to your party skillbook. The result is that even though grinding beyond the power level you need is possible, it will only make one or two dungeons easy, and then your power level gets normalized again. Since the power will ultimately be lost, you're only likely to ever kill what you need to. It then reinforces this feeling even further by making most weapons break after a certain number of uses. It's pretty unusual, but creates a very goal-oriented game, where the ideal situation is to become exactly as powerful as you need to be to get through the dungeon and kill the boss, and not any stronger.
Hesufo
I am pretty interested in hooking up sometime. Screw me.
author=LockeZ
Although it's a simple thing, I do like the idea of getting one-time XP rewards at stages of the main story quest. Giving bosses abnormally high XP has a similar result. The player wants to move forward in the main quests as soon as they can.

In FF games, on the other hand, bosses typically give no experience points at all, which means any level ups you get are necessarily from fighting weak enemies. The problem is that I feel this encourages the player to keep fighting weak enemies instead of going for the bosses. Which is at the very least boring.

I don't really see the problem with this. In your bad case scenario, the player is supposed to grind EXP in order to get stronger for the next boss fight, so it's irrelevant if said boss fight grants EXP or not. You're just trying to alleviate a problem you could mitigate by a lot of other means (by increasing EXP from normal encounters accordingly, for example).

I'm defending this position because I'm having bosses give 0 EXP in my game. The reason for it? Very simple: boss fights should be really hard on players, and more often than not the average player will end up having 1 or maybe 2 dead characters when the boss dies. If the boss gives a large EXP reward, the player is then discouraged from taking more risks when facing it, which can lead to the desire to grind a bit in order to make the battle easier and reap the full reward: it ends up being a counterproductive measure.

Of course you could make characters gain EXP while dead but I like death to be meaningful (something you definitely do not want to happen, for example, in the middle of a dungeon).

As for the SaGa Frontier 2 system, I think noone mentioned a similar system because it starts dealing with characters and this also involves storyline which varies from user to user.
Pages: first prev 123456 last