WHAT AREAS OF RPG MAKING REALLY HINDER YOUR PROJECT?

Pages: first prev 123 last
Probably has to be mainly eventing.
Also testing out for bugs/glitches.
Testing Events and the Scenes are working takes forever.
Testing for Grammar Mistakes.
I constantly just keep testing again and again multiple times.
For me, Game Development is almost one big test to be honest.

So constructing Scenes, Creating A Range of Enemies with diverse skills, And how the events run to make this happen is the most difficult and time-consuming thing for me. Also I tend to make some NPC's say multiple things and even change what they say after progression so I have to test that on the regular, jeez it's frustrating...
If I could say any one thing, it would be npc dialogue. I don't like filler dialogue so I try to make everything matter in some small way, even if it is just world information.

I also like to make my npcs say up to 4 random things, just to add to the tediousness XD.

I also would have to say, my inability to stick with one skill. I like to try new things, and as I gain a bit of skill in one, I start to focus on it to the exception of the others, even if it means doing things not related to my projects.

for example, I am a fine eventer, started doing it and got good, but then I thought I would try my hand at spriting, got decent at that, and now I focus mostly on it, even doing requests for others before my own work...bad habit.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Shaddow
If I could say any one thing, it would be npc dialogue. I don't like filler dialogue so I try to make everything matter in some small way, even if it is just world information.

I also like to make my npcs say up to 4 random things, just to add to the tediousness XD.

I feel the same way about filler dialogue. But I have a solution that's a lot less work: remove the filler NPCs.
Or..have them there for ambience, but don't have them say anything. Like in FFXII where cities were packed with people, but only the important ones had talking bubbles above their heads. So there needs to be a way to differentiate between those you talk to and those you can't.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
author=Darkflamewolf
Or..have them there for ambience, but don't have them say anything. Like in FFXII where cities were packed with people, but only the important ones had talking bubbles above their heads.

Even then there were too many NPCs with unimportant dialogue. I made to avoid every NPC that I could get away with while playing it. Just remove the filler NPCs unless they have something particularly witty to say. That said, I know how hard it is to have them always say relevant things. ;_;

Fewer NPCs means more dialogue you can make for them. If you only have like, 6 guys per town or some single digit number, you could even give them names and work on making those few more memorable with dialogue that changes as the game goes on.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Even six npcs per town is probably three times as many as you actually need. Maybe six times as many! Not saying more NPCs is bad, but if it's hindering your project, drop it. If it's hindering your project, I don't care what it is, drop it! If the game ends up sucking without it, add it at the end. But often it doesn't.
This is why in the game I am working on I have 3 NPCs at the start and pretty much not a single one after that. The NPCs mean nothing to the overarching plot and characters, so I just dropped every single one from the game.

And then my hard drive died and I can't be arsed to try and remake the first map (that was the best house I had ever made I swear to god)
author=obsorber
Probably has to be mainly eventing.
Also testing out for bugs/glitches.
Testing Events and the Scenes are working takes forever.
Testing for Grammar Mistakes.
I constantly just keep testing again and again multiple times.
For me, Game Development is almost one big test to be honest.

So constructing Scenes, Creating A Range of Enemies with diverse skills, And how the events run to make this happen is the most difficult and time-consuming thing for me. Also I tend to make some NPC's say multiple things and even change what they say after progression so I have to test that on the regular, jeez it's frustrating...

I agree with NPC dialogue, but at least it's rewarding in the end.

Grammar/spelling is annoying but not really a hindrance.

The biggie is finding an error you don't understand, and having the problem be in some weird common event. And having to hunt down that common event through 100+ common events. A glitch is bad enough, but an outright error (unknown/missing hero) that crashes the game is a killer. Thank God for DynRPG just returning to the title screen, the only real error to worry about now is a missing title screen/OnStart plugin error.
For me... game design is just another medium for my story telling.
I love having both auditory and visual representations of my scenes right in front of me.
I guess the thing that kills my momentum in game design is the same thing that kills my momentum in writing.
The fluff.

Yeah, yeah, I know the town won't look natural or even real if I don't throw in some trees and flowers and barrels and such... but no barrel ever gets me excited.

I'm worried about the characters, and what happens to them. NPC dialogue? Ugh...
With my current project in RM2K nothing really. Although that's only because I make my game without any battle system whatsoever. To plan out different encounters for each unique area, to make monsters scale up to the heroes so it doesn't become too easy/difficult, to balance out hero stats, create balanced items etc etc etc. NO GOD! PLEASE NO! NOOO! Make it stop! My head starts to hurt just by thinking about it. No battle system for me.

Other than that, I'm fine with most things. I love writing dialogue and developing characters. Mapping is alright if you don't do too much at once. Spriting/Facesets is pretty fun, but like mapping, not to do all at once. Creating events is fun, maybe my favourite thing of game making.
Mapping and resources. Defiantly those. I can do eventing all DAY, but when I have to screw around with making maps and graphics, I slow waaaay down, because I can't do those forever. I simply don't enjoy doing it. I'm also not very good with graphic-related stuff, but yeah. Those two.
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
Mapping. I hate it. My maps always have too much open space.
For me? There's a lot of things, but in general I have a bit of a perfectionist attitude with anything I do, I don't like to just do good, but I like to make it as great as I possibly can. So considering I suck at programming and graphic design I tend to get overwhelmed fast with all the little things I'm not too great at.
Personally speaking, the aspect I most enjoy about making my current game are the graphics; I love creating custom artwork and doing custom sprite work, and it is rather satisfying to create all of the graphics from scratch. I also enjoy composing the game's music, writing dialogue, creating items, enemies, etc., and mapping areas, and I try to push myself to improve in each of the above areas.

However, for me the most daunting aspect is still scripting. Scripting is something I really need to learn, and something that I am actually enthusiastic about, but my knowledge is still extremely limited. I am slowly learning RGSS 3, celebrating each small victory as my understanding gradually improves, mostly through trial and error. I could really use some good tutorials on RGSS 3, and if you guys know of any I would be extremely grateful.
At the moment it's map scripting. It's not difficult to do, it's just tedious and takes a long time to tweak all the parameters so that a scene plays out just the way you want it to. Eventually, I hope that the custom game editor that my project uses will add support to make scripting easier for map developers, but that's rather difficult to add and we've never had too many programmers on our team who were interested in working on our editor.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Mapping. It takes forever, often has errors, passability is a pain in the ass, especially when you're parallaxing or trying to make side-on stairs (gah). The result is often worth it, but the road to getting there is long and arduous.
Making maps.

I don't mind making maps. They can be fun.

But they take SO much effort to look good. And your maps ALL need to look good. and you need TONS OF MAPS. x_x

Making items, battles, cutscenes, animations, story, weapons/items/etc are fun. You make them once and then occasionally go back to fix them/add more. Maps? Uuughh...

"Great! You just finished this map, and the scene that takes place in it! ...Now you need another one! And another! And another!".
leveling, parameters and balancing battles, thats what i can't do XD right now i'm trying to get the leveling for game right

one full hour of "maybe add 2 each lvl? no, 3? no, change base stats? no" and i'm still nowhere
Pages: first prev 123 last