LET'S PLAY! FINAL FANTASY IV EDITION! ALSO A GENERAL FINAL FANTASY DISCUSSION TOPIC

author=Little Wing Guy link=topic=1303.msg48761#msg48761 date=1228296686
I'm really fed up of Final Fantasy at the moment, I'm not looking forward to 13 at all. The main character has been described as a female Cloud Strife...oh goody, can't wait now.

Final Fantasy hit an iceburg at 10-2 and sank at 12 (see what I did thar?).

Quoted for Truth!
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=1303.msg48882#msg48882 date=1228344142
Eh? I don't get it. FFXII had one of the most in depth, immersive storylines a Final Fantasy game has had in a long time and probably the best battle system to boot. Yet, most people I talk to don't seem to like it. Do and of you have good reasons why?

Personally, I loved it, and it's definately one of my favourites in the whole series (with FFVIII being my favourite, and FFVI probably joint second with it).

People on the internet always complain that the most recent Final Fantasy game is horrible. When 13 comes out those same people will complain that it sucks and hold up 12 as a classic.
Yet, most people I talk to don't seem to like it. Do and of you have good reasons why?

I don't dislike the game, but here's one; the characters sucked ass. Or, to be more specific, since the characters themselves weren't bad (Balthier is one of the best RPG characters ever), the character interaction and progression sucked.
No, I'm not like that at all. I disliked XII for various reasons, it just didn't click with me, I couldn't get into it. None of the characters appealed to me, I disliked the whole atmosphere and I felt no reason to progress in the plot, it was like I was randomly wandering around the whole time. I put a lot of hours into it and gave it a try, It simply wasn't my cup of tea.

I don't dislike it because it's the latest one out, and I'm not an unwilling to change FF Fanboy, I've liked many of the FF spin-offs.
Eh? I don't get it. FFXII had one of the most in depth, immersive storylines a Final Fantasy game has had in a long time and probably the best battle system to boot. Yet, most people I talk to don't seem to like it. Do and of you have good reasons why?

Personally, I loved it, and it's definately one of my favourites in the whole series (with FFVIII being my favourite, and FFVI probably joint second with it).

I don't even remember the plot. Some stuff involving beating up people because at some point you travel through five different areas and the plot doesn't move at all. It was to some city on the top of the map. Never mind when I got there you had to go NPC hunting to go any further. The gameplay certainly didn't help, I just ended up letting the game do its own thing during fights (controlling them was even worse) and I just turned the game off for a few months because there were much better ways to waste time. By the end of the game I didn't know or care about what was going on, I just wanted to write the game off as done.
I really liked 12's storyline. However, it was another game where I didn't like the main character and I'm getting sick of that. However, unlike in other FF games I didn't hate the main character, I just never really got into Vaan's character (I honestly thought he was just a less annoying version of Tidus without the "daddy doesn't love me" complex).
I loved Basch, Ashe and Balthier, but I have to agree with Feldschlacht IV that there wasn't enough progression in the characters. And there was a complete lack of character interaction or any really complex relationships other than with Vaan and Penelo and Vaan and Basch.
author=brandonabley link=topic=1303.msg48884#msg48884 date=1228345071

People on the internet always complain that the most recent Final Fantasy game is horrible. When 13 comes out those same people will complain that it sucks and hold up 12 as a classic.

That is true plus most people disliked XII because of the battle system and how it wasn't "turn based" like X was.
I honestly liked the new system. Even if I didn't, I have to give Square props for finally trying something new in terms of gameplay.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=brandonabley link=topic=1303.msg48884#msg48884 date=1228345071
Same thing happened with Final Fantasy X and that game is shit.. Though I did like the Blitzball haha. Final Fantasy XII had a confusing plot with some pretty poor characterization(Penelo, why was she even their?)but the overall gameplay and atmosphere beats out most of the iterations in the series in my opinion.
author=kmac101 link=topic=1303.msg49031#msg49031 date=1228367160
I honestly liked the new system. Even if I didn't, I have to give Square props for finally trying something new in terms of gameplay.

Yeah and XIII's will be even better. Here is a trailer of the combat system. Looks fucking intense.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mDAT14I6IPs
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THIS FELD
The problem with 12 was that they made it too much like an online game. If I wanted to play an MMO, I'd go play World of Warcraft or Everquest or some crap. I like Final Fantasy's traditional battle system, and I think 10 perfected it. It really sucks that they changed, and I don't know a single person IRL that actually liked the new one.

The plot in 12 was also ridiculous. There are characters who are just filler and don't serve a purpose (Ashe), and characters whose motivations and backstory are hardly explained. At least in Final Fantasy 7, you could do a slew of sidequests or exploring and discover complex backstories about these characters, while others were revealed in the game's actual plot (I don't know a single character who didn't get some kind of backstory event/quest that helped define them). It was just something that was sorely lacking in 12, at least for me.

And I completely disagree about instantly hating every FF that comes out, then loving it later. I loved FF6, 7, 9, and 10 when they were released. I couldn't stop playing them. However, when 12 came out, I just didn't like it at all. It was mostly the battle system, I will admit, but there were plenty of other problems too. And look at FFVIII, for crying out loud. That game's been out for YEARS and a lot of people still don't like it. People dislike games because they're not fun, not because they're "new"...
author=jcavonpark link=topic=1303.msg62489#msg62489 date=1234984177
There are characters who are just filler and don't serve a purpose (Ashe)
Um....did you sleep through it? Ashe was essentially the main character, with Vaan as nothing more than a PoV audience surrogate. I'd be able to accept arguing that Vaan was a filler character that didn't serve a purpose....except that it ignores his role as audience surrogate, so it's a pretty shallow way of looking at the character, too. But Ashe? She is practically the only character who couldn't be removed from the plot and have it still make sense.
author=Shadowtext link=topic=1303.msg62539#msg62539 date=1235004887
author=jcavonpark link=topic=1303.msg62489#msg62489 date=1234984177
There are characters who are just filler and don't serve a purpose (Ashe)
Um....did you sleep through it? Ashe was essentially the main character, with Vaan as nothing more than a PoV audience surrogate. I'd be able to accept arguing that Vaan was a filler character that didn't serve a purpose....except that it ignores his role as audience surrogate, so it's a pretty shallow way of looking at the character, too. But Ashe? She is practically the only character who couldn't be removed from the plot and have it still make sense.

Oop! Sorry, I meant to say Panelo (or whatever her name was). It's been a while since I played the game.
I know we've already had the discussion, but I'm still in disbelief that IX was well liked.

I liked Vaan and Penelo.

If I had the time to spare, I'd love to play FFXII again.
author=ChaosProductions link=topic=1303.msg62401#msg62401 date=1234919530

I concur. Feld, there has now been a hell of a lot more discussion here than in most of the SA Let's Play threads, where the hell is our update?!
LouisCyphre
author=ChaosProductions link=topic=1303.msg62401#msg62401 date=1234919530
That's right. I quoted myself :o
I guess I should finish this, huh? Alright.
LouisCyphre
ohobyohboyohboy

Right on.