XENOMIC'S SPRITE THREAD! GASP!

Pages: first 12345 next last
I know right!? Me!? SPRITE!? BWAHAHAHAHA!

But in all seriousness, I thought it was about time I tried to do something again. You can thank Ryoga for somewhat perking my interests again and to Chamat for getting me attempting this again. I'm still not a good spriter by any means, and I haven't sprited anything in 3-4 years. None of these are meant for RPG Maker mind you...mostly for funsies.

Some of the more ancient sprites (found in my ancient thread years ago). Keep in mind that these have NOT been touched in 3-4 years, and this was back when I first attempted hi-res style (the only one I actively tried to fix up was Reimu. Komachi was the very last one and was in beta before I stopped):

Touhou Hi-Res Sprites (Guilty Gear styled):

Komachi Onozuka:

Reimu Hakurei:

Remilia Scarlet:

Sakuya Izayoi:

Youmu Konpaku:

And now for more modern time stuff!

This here would be my most recent project (the other sprites above are about 3-4 years old, and I never really went back to fix them after I did them. Reimu took about 4 days straight to do, while everyone else was less than that). For those of you who do not know, this is for Maria Renard from Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Yes, the younger one that was her first appearance.

It's just a rough outline right now (only took 3-4 days to outline the entire thing while fixing some issues here and there), and yes, I know there's issues still with it (those feet, probably too short of legs, probably too long of arms, etc.). I'm slowly working on it (usually 30 minutes to an hour per day), but if anyone can give criticism/feedback/suggestions, that'd be great. If I need to post the reference images (mostly found over on the Castlevania wiki), I can go fetch them if you're curious.

For height reference, I am using Guilty Gear's May as reference (since she's 5'2", I'm trying to keep Maria here shorter than her, since I'd assume she's shorter than 5'2". Wiki doesn't list her height so I have to guesstimate...).

Added the braids in. I think they actually came out really well (no, I didn't use anything but one official art as reference), which surprises me. Guess braids aren't super hard to do after all.

This might be the last revision for the sprite for now as I'm honestly not sure what else I can do to make it better. I again am by no means that great of a spriter, and I'm terrible with colors overall, so...who knows? Maybe I'll come back at a later date and touch up on the sprite again, if I ever do. Or maybe I'll keep working on it over time.

Note to self to fix on Maria's sprite however:

*Fix the size of her hand that's underneath her right hand (so the hand below the other) as it seems far too big for her actual handsize.
*Maybe fix the right arm so that it has an elbow? Not entirely sure as I'm not sure how to do elbows really, nor not sure how to angle the arm to accomodate the elbow change.
*Fix the shading in various places.
*Fix the belt/sash and perhaps the tiny part of her back that you can see. Not sure on where the back needs to be...
*Change the face perhaps to not be so May-like
*Fix the shape of her hair perhaps
*Fix that goddamn ascot! >_<
*Fix the bust size probably. It's really REALLY hard to gauge her bust size from the official arts (despite some of them showing her to be quite...voluptuous or whatever. Which seems very strange for a 12-year old to be that way but...), and I'm terrible with doing breasts overall anyways...
*Fix her left arm (the arm on the right) to be more...bending? Not as hidden by her shirt? I don't know.

Anything else that I may have missed, feel free to let me know. Still learning so yeah...I probably shouldn't be doing these kinds of sprites already but...^^;;
Not much done today, but here ya go:

*Tried to fix up the elbow some...dunno if it looks better or not. It looks worse instead of better now I think : S
*Changed shading on hair and skin. Clothes will be next later. The hair and skin shading was borrowed from Millia Rage of Guilty Gear, since that seemed to be the way to go (plus I needed someone with blonde hair to work with, and Millia was the first to come to mind. I guess I could've used Ky or Bridget but eh!).

You can see the differences in the shading here:

I don't really have anyone with pink from Guilty Gear I can use for shading references so...the dress might be a bit tougher to shade than normal. The boots...well...those will get fixed later on. Still working out the shading differences and proportions right now from top to bottom. That elbow is going to bother me a lot...
So...this was something I was working on...

But thanks to being such a dumbass and not checking, I accidentally saved it as JPEG (why the hell is JPEG the default for Paint?!). So, this sprite which WAS really good ended up being completely ruined. Then I tried a second time...

And now it just looks plain freaking awful...like...you have no idea how angry I am at myself and Paint for losing such a great sprite, then spending another hour trying to get back to that point only to end up with this terrible sprite...goddamnit all...I haven't been THIS pissed off at myself in forever, but really now. Lenna ended up looking TOO manly in the newer version, and I had it perfect in the original...

References:

The last one is what pose I'm using. The other two images are what I'm using as references. Well..unless someone knows how to save a sprite saved in JPEG format...>_>;;

So yeah, 1 hour and a perfectly good sprite lost because stupid goddamn me. >___>

EDIT - A little update...

So I tried to slim her down some and whatnot. At least she looks more feminine than manly...I think. God this is gonna take a lot to fix this up. Also, hair. Not my thing.
I don't think I'm aware of Remilia or Komachi. I used Marisa (I think her name was), Reimu, Sakuya, and Youmu (Youmu shows up as Anideshi's Sage form which is way OP).

irfanview saves anything as anything, without losing quality. You can also convert stuff down to 256 with minimal loss of color.
Infranview can't be used for spriting purposes though. I do have Gale Graphics now (why I didn't have that before is beyond me) so I'll probably start using that now as it'll be easier to do pixel by pixel spriting.

Ehhhh...I guess it's better than the old face but I hate hair now lol...

References used:

*Ougon Musou Kyoko's Shannon - Only her face right now, as it was the closest to the pose that I wanted. Only things changed from original face is eye color (big whoop) and the mouth (one pixel removed, big whoop). The entire head was actually used, but I redid the hair from scratch essentially and had to add her ear to the sprite. Hair shouldn't be this hard to do! Also, took me like 3 hours just to get this far...terrible! Mostly because I'd get started on it, and then immediately delete it because it wasn't working out. Mostly by using ironically Shannon's head as the base (I think I tried to use Guilty Gear's Dizzy and Jam as head bases too. I even tried to make a head from scratch myself but that didn't pan out so well). I dunno how you guys make it look so easy lol.

If there's anything to do with the outlining of the head, feel free to let me know now since I'd like to get the head outlines done before moving onto the body. I did put in the outline for her neck accessory thing. That wasn't easy to do either...ugh...also hopefully when I do the body this time, she won't end up with super huge breasts like last time. @_@;;

I used both the cherry blossom image and black background images from before as references, alternating between the two for the hair. It kinda helped a bit...also, she doesn't look like a man now I think. : S
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Don't bother with outlines in regards to hair; chunk it out and fill in the details, then do outlines if necessary. At least that's how I work ^^;
I suppose I really should do it that way. I'm just used to having outlines for it in general from when I did Maria (and the old hi-res sprites). Probably WOULD be better if I did it as a blob later before the outlines so as to save my sanity a bit. Especially since I'm not that great with them. ^^;;

It looks like it's taking good shape so far. Though I feel like the belt is TOO far down as opposed to the images...what do you guys think? Think it should be moved up some??

Also, that skirt is surprisingly difficult. I'm used to frilly skirts like Maria's or Remilia's, not simple ones like this where there's hardly any creases. x_x;;

I do think I got the body build right though. It looks slim enough to fit her (the clothes aren't exactly form fitting I think), and her breasts are actually the right size...I think.
You really should block out the pose first (silhouette even) before going into details like hair and eyes. What if you suddenly need to change the angle of the head and such?
The face is pretty much taken from Ougon Musou Kyoko's Shannon, so that's why it's already shaded and such. If I need to change anything, I tend to do it even if it's fully shaded and whatnot (I've done it before on Maria a bit and other older sprites). Generally, what you see up above for the torso and belt and necklace and whatnot is what I'd normally do BEFORE doing any details and shading. I generally get a head base first before doing anything though, seeing as I can't do heads for the life of me (I honestly tried to do a head for Lenna from scratch but...it would've ended up like this anyways ^^;; ).

Adjusted the belt about 4-5 pixels higher. It think it looks a LOT better now personally. Also put in the right arm as well as part of both legs (where her right leg (our left) cuts off is where the boots will start). I feel like the arm and legs could use more work though...again, they're not easy for me at all. Though I do think the hand looks okayish...

So I decided for the first time in like...10 years or so to do some art. Granted, it's not from the top of my head as I was using a reference image, but really...looking at it, it's not that bad. There's some problems here and there yeah, but it's not bad for a first try with Photoshop and using a mouse. No I don't have a tablet, and none of the scanners here at home work so I didn't try with paper and pencil. Maybe I should give paper and pencil a shot though?

It's really hard to keep the mouse from screwing things up, lemme tell you. If you guys wanna color this in, go for it! I'm terrible with coloring lol. And feel free to give criticism and feedback if you so desire~

For those who do not know who it is, this is Nowi from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Yes, I'm aware there's some proportion issues going on, but it was hard enough getting myself to do this with the mouse. Ugh...x_x;;

I do have some sketches that, when we get a working scanner, I'll scan and upload. Been practicing on nothing but art this entire week, mainly on doing faces (haven't gotten around to doing hair yet) in the frontal position (doing angled views shouldn't be that difficult I wouldn't think...I intend on practicing those next once I get the frontal view stuff done, including full body proportions (no clothes for now) in the frontal view). All mostly using Nowi as my base and reference. Hopefully she doesn't screw me over in doing art for later characters seeing as she's supposed to be short as all hell. ^^;;

So, here's my line of practicing:

A) Frontal Views

1) Head/faces - I believe I got this down now for the most part. Only have trouble getting the sides of the head to curve easily into the jawline to chin area for some reason. I generally start my drawings with one eye, then do the other eye, then set the sides of the head, then nose, then do the jawlines to chin, and then finally the mouth (followed by the ears).

2) Full body proportion - This will require me to actually NOT draw super huge, which has always been a problem for me. I'm not sure how I'll be able to manage this on paper and pencil...especially when I start doing characters that are of normal average heights and not like 4' something like Nowi is...

3) Hair - I don't know why, but I struggle to get the hair right. I can't seem to find a good place to start with the hair at all, nor where to go with the hair in some instances...

4) Facial expressions - This will come after I master hair mostly because hair can affect how facial expressions look sometimes. Granted, I guess I SHOULD do this as #2 instead of full body proportions but...

5) Clothes - Seeing as #2 will be just a nude model with nothing on it, I'll need to learn how to do this eventually. I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to do though with Nowi as my base, but for other more extravagant characters it may become a pain to do...

6) Arm/hand positions - Hands and arms, for some reason, have always been a thorn in my side. It's all the way down here mostly because well...the face and body should be mastered first before actually doing fancywork with things like the hands and feet.

7) Body positions/poses - Such as sitting, walking, excited, etc. I feel like once I master the first 6 in this list, this shouldn't be too difficult to do??

B) Angled Views
C) Side Views
D) Angled Back Views
E) Back Views

B and C will follow the same structure as A, although I'd imagine doing angled views will be easier once I master how to do frontal views. It's just moving some lines here and there a bit longer than others after all, right?? Side views will probably be a pain in the arse to do though...

So yeah, if anyone has any good suggestions/tutorials/whatever (aside from practice a lot, which I already know about and have been doing for the past week lol), feel free to help me out! I really want to get as good as I can get with drawing in particular. I really WANT to be able to do my own art for my characters, and be able to produce gorgeous art for my favorite characters out there. ^^

I am currently using Mark Crilley's tutorials on YouTube to try and learn these better, as well as some tutorials from Naschi on DeviantArt to help improve my art. So far, it seems like Mark's tutorials have been helping me immensely...we'll see when I scan and upload some of this art though >_>

Granted, this was in Photoshop and not with pencil and paper where I'm much better at controlling myself, but this is generally how my general guidelines are. I know that this isn't the most effective way, and it really doesn't work with making sure things are proportioned correctly. I'm trying to avoid using too many guidelines, and would really REALLY appreciate feedback or advice on what to do to improve myself.

I have yet to actually attempt hair by the way. That was my next goal before I started wondering if I was making any progress on the face at all. I may do one for the angled view as well, for those interested in seeing how I do angled views. I don't know how to do a tilted up or tilted down head yet with the neck and facial features...just a frontal and angled. This is after a week's worth of constant practice on it, using Mark Crilley's videos and Naschi's tutorials. Whether or not those are the best idea to learn or not, I cannot say...

Keep in mind, this is just a ROUGH sketch in Photoshop, not with pencil and paper. It's kinda similar though however so...
So while I'm still waiting to actually find a way to scan and upload my stuff, I've finally moved on from doing just heads to the shoulders, arms, hands, and torso. The problem is...I have no idea WHERE to even begin on the placement of each. I know the shoulders are about 1/2 a face away the side of the face (though this can change I believe. For instance, someone who looks like around a 12-year-old or so, wouldn't have the same build as someone that's a full-grown adult). The problem from there is how the arms should look, how the arms connect to the torso, and the size of the torso itself.

I just don't have any good tutorials for these at all, and it's kinda frustrating to not have some kind of way to do these, unlike where there were a couple good tutorials for the head. So if anyone can help out and/or give advice on these specific body parts (note, I am still working on the female body, frontal and angled view), feel free to do so. ^^;;
Time for an art dump! Finally got the scanner to work, so scanned some of my works over the past couple weeks.

Shyam faces:

This is the last image I attempted to do. This was me not using Tiki, Nowi, or Nah as references, and trying to do different hairstyles mostly to see which would fit my OC. This also shows how bad I am at keeping anything proportioned on the head...;___;

Nah Practice Art 1:

A frontal view of Nah. Just the head, as the rest of the body was to come later. This was a later drawing after I figured I got some decent grasp of doing heads. Also, first time doing braids, which I thought came out decently. The mouth could've used more work though. Jawline too, but jawline is always hard to do...

Nah Practice Art 2:

An attempt of doing an angled view of Nah. The braids, while they look ok, kinda...just float there weirdly. I honestly don't know how I screwed those up so badly.

Nowi Practice Art 1:

Or what I dub Stoned Nowi. This was before I thought I had a decent grasp on doing faces. Needless to say, this was bad. ^^;

Nowi Practice Art 2:

This was the first image I drew on paper and pencil after the Photoshop version. While it's not TOO terrible, there's still some glaring issues, even with the head...

Nowi Practice Art 3:

This was drawn right after the 2nd practice art, and well...as per usual, still some glaring issues. This is based on her portrait image from Awakening as well (the 2nd one was based on an artwork from Awakening too).

Tiki Practice Art 1:

Done later on when I thought I had a firm grasp on heads. Same issues persist here, though I think this was before I stopped drawing eyes first and then doing the head around the eyes...

Tiki Practice Art 2:

I attempted to draw a full body for Tiki (this was long before Practice Art 1), and well...I just couldn't do it. I wanted to see how it'd look and it looks bad. ^^;; So after this art is when I went back to practicing heads a lot more.

Nowi Practice Art 4:

This is actually my most recent art right now. I attempted another full body art, and while it's not nearly as terrible as the Tiki one (or maybe it is?), I still can't do the body parts right. I guess I should just work on heads more or something...ugh...

Nowi was kinda used as a base again, but this was my attempt at a quick sketch (less than 10 minutes or so) of a head in an angled view, with some shading and heavier line art. Could be better of course, but it's not the world's worse I think. I've yet to read the Loomis books I have, nor either of the other books I have, and felt like doing a quick practice to see how I'd do the shading. Light source is from the left. I know my shading isn't exactly stellar either, but I think it's not TOO terrible...maybe.
Redid this today and will be using this to be making a face. Don't mind the squareness of the jaw, that's just an outline! Hopefully this will help me out with making a face better. >_<

Couple new ones~ Haven't been practicing enough as I should due to running like 4 projects but...

Bottom one is the newest one. I attempted to do another image of Nowi for the last thing, to see what I could do with the new techniques I learned. It's...a bit better than before? I'm not really sure...*sigh*
Pages: first 12345 next last