"I BASED THE MAIN CHARACTER ON MYSELF."

unity
You're magical to me.
I've been seeing this more and more on RPG Maker games where the main character has the same name as the creator and/or is just the creator's persona. This has always confused me a little, as I would never put myself as the lead in my own game, because I feel like it would make for a boring main character.

And in a lot of cases, these characters feel flat. They often come off as generic or bland, and don't seem to change any as the game goes on. In the hands of a truly skilled storyteller, you could probably pull this off, and make the character fun and likeable, but I'd still rather see a whole new character with a new personality and new motivations and beliefs.

Ultimately, we generally put a little of ourselves in any character we make. I just don't think we should put all of ourselves in a single character unless we're willing to heavily tweak them to fit the story.

Thoughts?
I'm one of the people who puts myself and all other social relationships in my characters, but I'd never make a character and just say "yep, that's me".

People tend to have a reason to throw themselves as the main character, either for power fantasy/having all the lass/lads love me or because one aspect of them fits a story they'd be interested to play. In both cases the dev focuses on that one thing, and other characters suffer for it, including the main they base themselves on. I know I don't want a bunch of Kiritos in all my games.
I'm sure a skilled storyteller would be able to make it interesting, the problem is no skilled storyteller would actually put themselves in their own story.
Because doing that is something unskilled storytellers do.

The reason people do this is for several reasons, they can't write fictional characters well enough, they have a big ego so they can't imagine someone else being the main character (even a fictional character), and they are lazy.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Eh, why not? I mean, some people have very interesting lives. Perhaps some game makers have a personal story they want to tell?

Just like any aspect of gam mak, it can work as long as you handle it well. Putting yourself into a game and then making yourself a perfect person who can solve all the world's problems is an example of the WRONG way to do it.

You ever play the game Neverending Nightmares? I haven't, but I read somewhere that the main character is the creator of the game during his battle with mental illnesses. I think that's a GOOD way to do it.
Unskilled storytellers are unskilled, so any character they write won't be very good. It's like anything else. It's possible that you've played many excellent games where the dev wrote himself as the main character and you didn't even know it. Come to think of it, how do you know that you've played games where the main character is the dev? Which games are those?

I'm basing a character on myself and it's not because of my ego or I'm lazy.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Link_2112
Unskilled storytellers are unskilled, so any character they write won't be very good. It's like anything else. It's possible that you've played many excellent games where the dev wrote himself as the main character and you didn't even know it. Come to think of it, how do you know that you've played games where the main character is the dev? Which games are those?

Yeah, I only know because they've either stated it as such or they have made it blatantly obvious. I'm not going to name names, as this isn't about picking on individual developers, but I've played four of them in the last month, so I was starting to sense a pattern.

author=Link_2112
I'm basing a character on myself and it's not because of my ego or I'm lazy.

Then what's your reason for doing so? Just to clarify, I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious ^_^
Provolone is pretty much a stupid retelling of a real-life event. It's really obvious past a certain cutscene, but anyway, the protagonist, Seraphine, is pretty much me with amnesia on another body. And the other people are my friends. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that, but for instance, Provolone was a game I made by myself, for myself, never meant to be played by anyone else. So it's a different case than the usual "hey, look, it's me with a BFS / BFG"
But as a matter of fact, unless it's the aforementioned self-promoting situation, I'd actually encourage that! It's interesting to see your life from a new perspective, and to be able to share it is good for some people. I myself am real glad I made that game; It won't allow me to forget some things, which is especially good since I suffer from memory problems. And people whomever plays it won't really ever what's going on anyway hahaha.

Still, that's what I have to say: Do it. It's fun, and reflexive at that. Just don't be a self-promoting bitch, be cool!
I think it's all about how well you write the character in question. I should know- in the biggest project I've ever developed (which is still in development) the main character is based off of my own life, and in some ways is a parallel of it. It's hard to explain without spoiling far off events and games, but I'll try to give the gist of my take on the situation.

If you make a character who shares your name and appearance, and they're just a throwaway character who's the best person in the world and all that shit, you've created a Mary Sue. It's just a masturbatory fantasy about being the hero that everyone loves, or maybe the villain that wants "revenge" or some other stupid shit if you're even more childish.

I think it would be dishonest to say that people don't or shouldn't base characters off of themselves, people they know, or things they've experienced. I do it all the time, because it's a good method to add realism and humanity to your characters, among other reasons. You just have to draw the line between basing something off of yourself/your life and designing a throwaway Mary Sue, and luckily this line is (usually) pretty clearly drawn.

author=Link_2112

This is an excellent point, and something that's quite interesting to consider when you think about big name series and titles. Who knows? Some of the characters in the most famous games of all time could be parallels of real world people (and I'm not talking about obvious stuff like a parallel of Hitler or some shit).
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Pizza
I think it would be dishonest to say that people don't or shouldn't base characters off of themselves, people they know, or things they've experienced. You just have to draw the line between basing something off of yourself/your life and designing a throwaway Mary Sue, and luckily this line is (usually) pretty clearly drawn.

Very true, as using your own experiences and real-life situations can add a personal spark that can connect with the player.

And it's not like there aren't well-known writers who haven't blatantly modeled characters off of themselves or their situations. Maybe it is just the Mary Sues that I've been seeing.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I did this in my first game. A game about me and all my friends saving the world from the empire. The writing was, indeed, just as terrible as the premise, even though none of the characters had much in common with their real-life counterparts except their names.

One of them stopped being friends with me, and I killed off his character in the game. I don't even know man. To be fair it wasn't revenge or anything, I just wanted to kill off a character for DRAMATIC REASONS. But if I killed off any of my friends they would be upset! Better to kill off the person who won't ever play the game or care about it.
there are two main types of MC

Self-inserts and self-inserts in denial.

The quality of the execution varies wildly, though.

(other insert would be the distant third)
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ
I did this in my first game. A game about me and all my friends saving the world from the empire. The writing was, indeed, just as terrible as the premise, even though none of the characters had much in common with their real-life counterparts except their names.

One of them stopped being friends with me, and I killed off his character in the game. I don't even know man. To be fair it wasn't revenge or anything, I just wanted to kill off a character for DRAMATIC REASONS. But if I killed off any of my friends they would be upset! Better to kill off the person who won't ever play the game or care about it.

On one of my earliest games, I stuck a bunch of my friends from highschool as minor characters, because I thought they'd get a kick out of it when they played. Only one of them ever played it though XD And the writing was indeed extremely terrible. It's one of those games that will never see the light of day, but was an important lesson about storytelling and RPG Making :D
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I think there's two versions of this: the fantasy self-insert* and the personal story.

The purpose of the former is generally p. self-serving: you make a big, cool universe and then put yourself in it, so you can pretend like you're a cool person who can do cool things. It's not really a bad thing; I think just about anyone who's done creative stuff has done something like it. It tends to be a sign of a beginner creator, just because it's very difficult to write oneself as a compelling character in these settings, and because, from the purpose of anyone who isn't the creator (or a friend/family member), it's kind of annoying. (Because most people really aren't interested in you from the get-go, and there's rarely any character buildup.)

The latter is sometimes a little better about offering something to a player who isn't the creator or the creator's loved ones; it's usually more about sharing an experience than about aggrandizing the creator, so there's more thought put into that section of the audience. (This is not always the case, of course.)

I think the creator as character is more difficult to pull off effectively because it's harder to make it interesting and identifiable to others-- not because creators are inherently boring individuals, but because most people tend to have a lot of biases where they themselves are concerned. Flaws get ignored, things go without explanation because "Well, this is Thing I Care About, so clearly others will care as well!" or because the creator hasn't done enough thinking about themself to understand how they tick.

And, of course, there's a tendency sometimes to ignore consistency in writing because "Well, that's what I'm like IRL, so it's realistic!" Which isn't really how stories are normally supposed to work, and tends to put off one's audience.

There's probably also something to be said WRT one's audience being a little harder on obvious "THE CHARACTER IS ME!" because most of us expect to either be allowed to pretend WE'RE the main character, or to be introduced to somebody who's compelling.

(Obv. very little of this applies only to creator characters, and it's a generalization, but these are things I see popping up in a lot of media.)

* Named not for the genre but for the function
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Awful lot of people getting defensive about their self-inserts in here... XD
Self-inserts are fine as long as you stay away from wish fulfillment. Remember that the character your story centers around has OTHER characters. With other goals, which may compete with theirs. The hero might not always win. The villain may get away with that one item, forcing them to chase.
Sooz
I think there's two versions of this: the fantasy self-insert* and the personal story.

This is a good way to put it. Telling a personal story based off of your own experiences within your own mind or through interactions with other people is a healthy method of storytelling, at least in my opinion. You just need to make absolute certain that you're being professional about the way you depict it- but that's true of pretty much everything.

I'm not going to lie, my aforementioned character started off as the fantasy self insert variety. Not surprising, since I was 7 years old when I first came up with the idea. However in the 13 years since then it's been polished up into an original character, because I'm aware that Mary Sue's aren't professional, interesting or appropriate.

The biggest difficulty that I find is that it's hard to mention that the character is based off of you, because people will immediately jump on your back about it and try to defame you for doing that shit. It's annoying, because it seems like we're trying to present the idea that basing characters off of real world people and events is always a bad idea or something.

I think it'd be hard to find a character or location in a work of fiction that wasn't at least partly based on something real, even if that part only contributed to 1% of the idea. It's just the nature of how ideas work, you can't help but have be influenced by your life.
Sooz
author=Pizza
The biggest difficulty that I find is that it's hard to mention that the character is based off of you, because people will immediately jump on your back about it and try to defame you for doing that shit. It's annoying, because it seems like we're trying to present the idea that basing characters off of real world people and events is always a bad idea or something.

Well, when like 99% of the available bits of a type of story are terrible, I can see why most people go with the assumption that any given individual story of that type is terrible.

If you're not working on a personal story, I can't see why you'd bother mentioning the character being a self-insert. Either it's obvious, in which case it doesn't bear mentioning, or it's not, in which case who gives a crap?

As an aside, I feel like there's a biiiiig distinction between "I based this on X thing" and "I was influenced by X thing." I include elements of myself in a lot of my characters (obviously, because I am stuck with my own viewpoint) but I haven't really based a character off of myself since early college. There's too many pitfalls to bother with it, and it's more interesting to have a diversity of personalities.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
This topic is of interest to me, as I'm making a game that's supposed to help deal with some personal issues, and a self-insert might be inevitable.

I think the question revolves around how much an author recognizes his or her strong and weak traits, coupled with the willingness to expose them. I mean, boasting about one's strengths is one thing, but, admitting one's weaknesses? I think that is the real issue behind self-inserts. Nobody wants to be seen as they actually are. They want to be seen as "the hero with all the abilities ever".
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=unity
And it's not like there aren't well-known writers who haven't blatantly modeled characters off of themselves or their situations. Maybe it is just the Mary Sues that I've been seeing.

Adaptation. comes to mind. Adaptation. is a film by Charlie Kaufman about Charlie Kaufman trying to write Adaptation..
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Marrend
This topic is of interest to me, as I'm making a game that's supposed to help deal with some personal issues, and a self-insert might be inevitable.

I think the question revolves around how much an author recognizes his or her strong and weak traits, coupled with the willingness to expose them. I mean, boasting about one's strengths is one thing, but, admitting one's weaknesses? I think that is the real issue behind self-inserts. Nobody wants to be seen as they actually are. They want to be seen as "the hero with all the abilities ever".

Yeah, if it revolves personal issues, I guess that does become somewhat inevitable. But I think what Sooz said about experience-sharing narratives comes into play. And yeah, being able to show flaws will probably go a long way here.

author=CashmereCat
author=unity
Adaptation. comes to mind. Adaptation. is a film by Charlie Kaufman about Charlie Kaufman trying to write Adaptation..

I've been meaning to see that film for a long while, and just haven't gotten around to it.