SQUARE-ENIX DECIDES TO GIVE ALL OF ITS FANS THE MIDDLE FINGER BY RE-RELEASING THE PC PORT OF FF7 FOR THE PS4

I don't know.

Hahaha.

Honestly I don't know why they haven't already made a remake of it, I guess because of the fan backlash if they got it wrong - undoubtedly, though, a zillion people would buy it anyway.

e:That's what you're saying. So yeah I dunno. Maybe that's (part of) why everyone rags on Squeenix; their business strategies make so sense. Even if the remake was really bad, loads of people would get it. And they'd make money. :/
author=Max McGee
Yes, but why wouldn't it be a big soulless cash-in of FIRST RESORT, as opposed to one of LAST RESORT? They're a for-profit huge company.

Somebody once mentioned it was their Ace in the hole, the only thing keeping people around these days. And the moment they give the fans what they want, the fans will leave. So instead they string the fans along, giving vague hints of what they may or may not do, telling fans to buy this and that and support them, and maybe they'll consider it.

I'm not sure if that's really what's going on or not, but it makes you wonder sometimes. Of course, now that the hype for Final Fantasy XV has been built so high, I'm sure that fans will stick around hoping for this game to be released one day. If anything, I think the hype for Final Fantasy XV will kill the franchise more so than a remake for Final Fantssy VII. Why?

Because...

1. If it turns out as great as it was hyped, fans are going to expect this level of quality going forward. I doubt SE has it in them for another 8-year project of this magnitude. Not to mention the time and money that's already been lost on this, with no guarantee of a profitable return.

2. If it doesn't live up to the hype, fans are going to be extremely disappointed and may be reluctant to invest in any future projects from them.
They must be making a lot of money from the smaller titles for the 3DS.

Was Final Fantasy XV in active development for eight years, or was it just postponed in favour of other projects?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=amerk
If anything, I think the hype for Final Fantasy XV will kill the franchise more so than a remake for Final Fantssy VII. Why?

I'm pretty sure FFXIV 2.x and 3.x will carry them through just about anything at this point.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=suzy_cheesedreams

Was Final Fantasy XV in active development for eight years, or was it just postponed in favour of other projects?

You don't mean FFXII, right?
author=amerk
Somebody once mentioned it was their Ace in the hole, the only thing keeping people around these days. And the moment they give the fans what they want, the fans will leave. So instead they string the fans along, giving vague hints of what they may or may not do, telling fans to buy this and that and support them, and maybe they'll consider it.

I'm not sure if that's really what's going on or not, but it makes you wonder sometimes.

- Those clever b*stards! I never really thought about it that way. :O

Imagine if this was true and that’s what they’ve been doing to us this whole entire time, using this whole charade of theirs to keep us fans intact with the supposive purpose of using a false sense of hope!

It’s like stringing along a horse with a delicious carrot and then pulling it away the moment that he gets ever-so closer and closer to the point that they eventually just shoot the horse.

This whole thing is just getting even more retarded by the day.
author=Corfaisus
author=suzy_cheesedreams

You don't mean FFXII, right?

No...?
author=amerk
Somebody once mentioned it was their Ace in the hole, the only thing keeping people around these days. And the moment they give the fans what they want, the fans will leave

That...doesn't make sense. If that was true, and it turns out a remake was the best shit ever and Square Enix was back the top of their game, the fans would do the opposite of leave.

It really boils down to the fact that a game the scale of a FFVII remake would not take eight years to make. It shouldn't even take more than three.
author=Feldschlacht IV

That assumes that the remake would actually be good enough. I doubt that it would be able to live up to the hype. Square-Enix lives on the hype. If the game is released and it would be able to match the hype, that's good for them and the fans - everyone happy. But if it flops, they'll prove their fans that it might've not been worth it. You can't please them all.
Lots of people will probably get it regardless and some will be happy with it, but once that is done, the hook is gone. I think Square-Enix fears that day.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I also completely agree with GRS that the FF7 mythos has evolved so much that an FF7 remake would be impossible to get "right." The version of the game that exists in peoples' heads is completely different than the actual game that everyone played 17 (!) years ago.

Did you know Cloud is actually really goofy? Or that Tifa is the quiet, shy introverted one and Aeris is the flirty adventurous one? I bet you didn't. FF7 is a monumentally silly game, it's not the dark masterpiece everyone thinks of it as nowadays. And let's face it, Square has been at fault for that since the whole anthology of games around this universe has basically been engaging in revisionist history. Making an FF7 remake would basically mean making a new version of the game that fits into their new canon, and I have zero, absolutely no confidence that they could do it right, or that it would be 1/10th as good as the original. None whatsoever.

So I also think anyone pining for an FF7 remake is twice a fool, because they'd be expecting something good from a company that stopped making anything good over a decade ago. (In my opinion, of course.) I doubt anyone still working at Square-Enix's upper management even understands why anyone ever thought FF7 was good in the first place and they'd miss the point so completely it would be borderline tragic. Just look at their recent IOS remakes for an example of what you could actually expect from them. Basically no understanding or appreciation for the original product.

I will always stand firm in my opinion that fans have no idea what they actually want.
author=Solitayre
Did you know Cloud is actually really goofy? Or that Tifa is the quiet, shy introverted one and Aeris is the flirty adventurous one? I bet you didn't.

I always liked *original* Aeris - she was impertinent, spunky, charming. Kingdom Hearts reduced her to a fragile, wispy-voiced waif.
author=Solitayre
I doubt anyone still working at Square-Enix's upper management even understands why anyone ever thought FF7 was good in the first place

Well, this has already been proven to be true thanks to the FF13 trilogy, and it's funny because

author=Solitayre
they'd miss the point so completely it would be borderline tragic.

was also proven true, word for word.

author=Solitayre
they'd be expecting something good from a company that stopped making anything good over a decade ago. (In my opinion, of course.)

That's actually a good question. What HAS Squenix brought out in recent years that's
a. An RPG
b. Not a budget DS/3DS experimental title (aka TWEWY, Bravely Default)
c. Meritable in enough aspects to be considered in the same tiers as the more respectable Final Fantasy's, Chrono Trigger, Lufia 2, etc.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Everything they've released on consoles this generation fits those qualifications.
I'd be surprised if any of SE's recent titles gains the legacy that Chrono Trigger has. Even other Final Fantasy titles can be pretty polarized, but hindsight opinion of CT seems to be near universal acclaim.

Think what you will of the actual game, but its legacy is pretty legendary.
author=Sailerius
Everything they've released on consoles this generation fits those qualifications.

Any specific games? I'm seriously asking here, not just going 'lol squenix amirite?'. Haven't given Squenix a single look since ff13, so all I know is that they also make a bunch of mainstream gta'ish type games that seem to do okay?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
You'd be surprised. FFXIII is what got a LOT of people into JRPGs, especially with it being the first to release on Xbox. It had the effect on a new generation of gamers that FFVII had on the PSX generation.
author=Sal
Any specific games? I'm seriously asking here. Haven't given Squenix a single look since ff13, so all I know is that they also make a bunch of mainstream gta'ish type games that seem to do okay?

Time will have to tell on that. I am not a fan of FF13, but I won't deny its impact, however it's initial release was very polarizing, downright hot and cold. I remember with both FFVII and Chrono Trigger were release, and everyone was on it like white on rice. I doubt FFXIII will be as fondly as remembered as Chrono Trigger or even FFVII.
author=Feldschlacht IV
I'd be surprised if any of SE's recent titles gains the legacy that Chrono Trigger has. Even other Final Fantasy titles can be pretty polarized, but hindsight opinion of CT seems to be near universal acclaim.

Think what you will of the actual game, but its legacy is pretty legendary.

It doesn't have to compete with CT. But what I mean is, despite CT's flaws, it's a respectable endeavour. Then again, I guess it is a hard quality to quantify since everyone's tastes are different.

author=Sailerius
You'd be surprised. FFXIII is what got a LOT of people into JRPGs, especially with it being the first to release on Xbox. It had the effect on a new generation of gamers that FFVII had on the PSX generation.

Honestly, do you really think it's a good idea for games like FF13, Star Ocean 4, Agarest War, etc. to define what RPG's are for new generations of gamers?
FFXIII brings some good aspects to the table. In terms of world building and exploration, no, however. If every game was as rail thin as FFXIII I wouldn't be into video games at all.
13 was at least very pretty, and tried to do new things. There's nothing to find fault in there.

Mostly what I take issue with is how it developed into 'okay, ff13 is not a good game how do we trick gamers into buying it anyways let's make 2 direct sequels.'